Third Party Freight

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
They might sublease some gates they no longer need to the brokers but if that extra day or two turns into and extra 3 or 4 then the feces will hit the fan and the shipper will simply go someplace else.
In any event when the airport that will serve the Ground terminal with air freight is 135 miles away and they're convinced that they can truck that 135 miles and still make it back in time to catch the Ground trucks heading out the door at 8AM.....they'll be given their opportunity to do so....for a little while.
And IF a frog had wings, he wouldn’t bump his ass on the ground, as my grandmother used to say.

IF FedEx were to turn all its air operations over to third party contractors, your argument might have some merit.

Until then, you should find another potential problem to magnify into insurmountable odds. Your blood pressure needs the boost.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Let’s talk about contracting out freight “Dano”. It always annoys me to see threads sidetracked by the usual suspects. Sometimes, I think that all of you are mainly concerned that Fred’s “free capitalism” is being derailed and then you feel the need to step in and apologize for him.
If you would stick to reality instead of your imaginary scenarios, the thread would probably remain on track.

Personally, I see the coming scenario as a train wreck in the making, but instead of projecting myself into the events, I prefer to watch them unfold. That way I don’t appear hysterical as you and bacha do.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If you would stick to reality instead of your imaginary scenarios, the thread would probably remain on track.

Personally, I see the coming scenario as a train wreck in the making, but instead of projecting myself into the events, I prefer to watch them unfold. That way I don’t appear hysterical as you and bacha do.
Always prepare for the worst case scenario. Watching the Sheet Show unfold is akin to the Boiling Frog Analogy, especially with FedEx.
BTW, I hate them because of the way they do business, not because I hate capitalism or free enterprise. Their methods of dealing with employees and screwing the customers makes them especially despicable.

Artee

Spoke with a source in Memphis, delivery appointments are being rolled out Monday (ads go on air Monday, service starts Tuesday).

From everything I was told, the whole program is going to be a flustercluck.

It only applies to residential deliveries

Appointments will have a two hour window

The AM Gatekeeper will have to relabel all packages that have delivery appointments indicated and get them back to the Courier (supposedly no delay in leave bldg times...)

There will be an option for 5-8PM deliveries (nearly spilled my coffee all over myself when I heard that).

Memphis has pulled some revenue projection out of their butt - but they have NO IDEA how the program will be received by the public.

The cost will be either $5 or $10 surcharge (paid by the customer RECEIVING the package). Details are sketchy as to whether the customer must use an Express account number of their own, of if a credit card will be accepted.

There will be the option to reroute packages to different delivery locations.

Stations will be told (are in the process) of making sure to get staffing to get the goals of this program met. So if AM-ers have to be called in after clocking out - so be it. If additional evening routes have to be added for the 5-8 PM delivery options - so be it. If PM pickup routes have to be loaded with delivery appointments - SO BE IT.

Memphis has completely thrown the Courier under the bus with this - you as a Courier (especially full-time) will be essentially on call. If you go to clock out and there are a stack of delivery appointment packages to be taken out - you go back on road. No split shift, no nothing.

I was also told that Express will soon admit to its employees that package volumes are going down PERMANENTLY. Part of this is Amazon redoing their distribution network to better use ground line haul to get their shipments out (using both their own system and better utilizing UPS and FedEx).

The process of transforming Express into a 'boutique' shipper is well under way with this move. There is more in the future - but no firm dates as of yet.

You all had better get cracking - Rome is still burning...

bacha29

Let’s talk about contracting out freight “Dano”. It always annoys me to see threads sidetracked by the usual suspects. Sometimes, I think that all of you are mainly concerned that Fred’s “free capitalism” is being derailed and then you feel the need to step in and apologize for him.
Trust me they'll be singing a different tune if they are among the many to go among the missing..... and then we'll see how long they're unemployed and what kind of a job they end up having to take.

bacha29

Spoke with a source in Memphis, delivery appointments are being rolled out Monday (ads go on air Monday, service starts Tuesday).

The AM Gatekeeper will have to relabel all packages that have delivery appointments indicated and get them back to the Courier (supposedly no delay in leave bldg times...)

There will be an option for 5-8PM deliveries (nearly spilled my coffee all over myself when I heard that).

Memphis has pulled some revenue projection out of their butt - but they have NO IDEA how the program will be received by the public.

The cost will be either $5 or $10 surcharge (paid by the customer RECEIVING the package). Details are sketchy as to whether the customer must use an Express account number of their own, of if a credit card will be accepted.

Stations will be told (are in the process) of making sure to get staffing to get the goals of this program met. So if AM-ers have to be called in after clocking out - so be it. If additional evening routes have to be added for the 5-8 PM delivery options - so be it. If PM pickup routes have to be loaded with delivery appointments - SO BE IT.

Memphis has completely thrown the Courier under the bus with this - you as a Courier (especially full-time) will be essentially on call. If you go to clock out and there are a stack of delivery appointment packages to be taken out - you go back on road. No split shift, no nothing.

I was also told that Express will soon admit to its employees that package volumes are going down PERMANENTLY. Part of this is Amazon redoing their distribution network to better use ground line haul to get their shipments out (using both their own system and better utilizing UPS and FedEx).

The process of transforming Express into a 'boutique' shipper is well under way with this move. There is more in the future - but no firm dates as of yet.

This is absolutely incredible news. By the sounds of things a new delivery/pickup network is be devised on the fly. One after a certain length of time in whatever form it takes in whatever state of development it happens to be in at the moment will be tossed onto Ground contractors to find a way to close all the gaps and unaddressed deficiencies.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Nothing to see here…..move along. It sounds like they are making it up as they go. A recipe for disaster.

bacha29

That's a hell of a statement from someone most likely unemployed. Let's see you do the job with a couple of pins holding your hips together.

Loser.
Mr. Cactus. Don't engage DIDO. It would appear that he's long term unemployed. After all he's on here 24/7. He uses this site for free personal entertainment purposes only and tries to entice people to engage him for sake of his own personal entertainment. This is why I have advocated for this site to become paid subscription.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Mr. Cactus. Don't engage DIDO. It would appear that he's long term unemployed. After all he's on here 24/7. He uses this site for free personal entertainment purposes only and tries to entice people to engage him for sake of his own personal entertainment. This is why I have advocated for this site to become paid subscription.
Your delusions are fascinating.
Please continue.

Mutineer

Memphis has completely thrown the Courier under the bus with this - you as a Courier (especially full-time) will be essentially on call. If you go to clock out and there are a stack of delivery appointment packages to be taken out - you go back on road. No split shift, no nothing

...buuut I wanna' go home, hit that ass, and eat a burrito!!!

-Every Whiny Courier I have ever known who ended up working at Wal-Mart happily ever after.

Spam

We already do this, where do you guys come up with this crap?

Mutineer

Trust me they'll be singing a different tune if they are among the many to go among the missing..... and then we'll see how long they're unemployed and what kind of a job they end up having to take.

It has been my observation that the kinds of people who thoroughly deserve that almost always somehow happily land on their feet, or on their knees under a desk.

Put away the lawn chair and the popcorn.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I just put that schmuck on ignore.

Sick of his crap and political rants. He can kiss my ass.

It will be fine

Ground has had this option for decades. There is not much of a market for it. On the very rare occasions we get an evening delivery package often if you stop by as you are regularly in the area the person is home to accept it. It’s just another way to scam customers, I wouldn’t anticipate it effecting operations much if at all.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Ground has had this option for decades. There is not much of a market for it. On the very rare occasions we get an evening delivery package often if you stop by as you are regularly in the area the person is home to accept it. It’s just another way to scam customers, I wouldn’t anticipate it effecting operations much if at all.
Express considered delivery outside the delivery window to be WDL, early OR late. Wait and see if you’re held to the same standard.

It will be fine

Express considered delivery outside the delivery window to be WDL, early OR late. Wait and see if you’re held to the same standard.
We have the same standard but there’s no penalty for violating it. It’s considered a service failure but we save time and money delivering when we’re there already. With efficiency standards what they are right now we can’t afford the backtracking. Now if they cut us in on the revenue they charge the customer it’d be a different story, but they just pocket it.