New DOT physical rules

Packmule

So we got told this week that new DOT regs are going into effect. Mainly anyone currently taking a diabetic med or a heart med is no longer eligible for certification. Also they said there are some new surprises in regards to sleep apnea testing.
Anybody else hearing this? Thinking it's time for truckers to start writing congressmen about the need to curtail this out of control government agency.

Overpaid Union Thug

So we got told this week that new DOT regs are going into effect. Mainly anyone currently taking a diabetic med or a heart med is no longer eligible for certification. Also they said there are some new surprises in regards to sleep apnea testing.
Anybody else hearing this? Thinking it's time for truckers to start writing congressmen about the need to curtail this out of control government agency.
I've always heard we can't drive if we are diabetics. I don't know how true that is though. And the sleep apnea thing started a few years ago. In my area whether or not we are required to get the testing really depends on what clinic we go to. One has rather high (or should I say low) weight standards and are sending EVERYONE that isn't skinny to get tested. The other sends patients that are actually obese and/or tell the clinic they are always tired.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Are trucks crashing because of tired drivers?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They are changing our DOT cards sometime this month. I just got re-certified and was able to use the old card. The medical department tried to throw my new card out but its legal. I don't know what the new changes are going to be. I have sleep apnea and have had to have a pulmonary doctor's letter the last two years so thats not anything new.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
We just had PCM and it looks like the card is changing (more lines for drivers address instead of cramming on 1 line). The blood pressure rule looks the same. If your on meds it has to be lower than 140/90 at time of test.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
If you take oral meds to control your diabetes, you were ok in the past. If you had to take insulin by injection, you were not allowed to hold a DOT card. That's the way it used to be anyway.

Star B

White Lightening
If you take oral meds to control your diabetes, you were ok in the past. If you had to take insulin by injection, you were not allowed to hold a DOT card. That's the way it used to be anyway.
Or you filed for the exception. Basically, you had to prove you weren't going to go hyper-hypo.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Or you filed for the exception. Basically, you had to prove you weren't going to go hyper-hypo.
I'm just quoting my experience. I was type 2 diabetic for about my last 4 or 5 years before I retired. The doctor noted that I was diabetic and asked me if i injected. I said no, and that was that.

km3

I just got a 3 month card with BP between 140/90 and 159/99 so I could go Sat. Air driving. Doctor said I should get some meds and get it under control before I come in again. I hope they continue to allow BP meds to pass the DOT. Getting my BP down naturally is gonna take longer than 3 months. :/

Packmule

I don't have any real health issues other than white coat syndrome that sends my BP through the roof when I go in for DOT test. Normally I sleep well too, but I know what will happen if I know I'm being monitored!
I get what it's all about safetywise, but there is a $&@(/ of a lot riding on passing the test and the burden of proving someone has a genuine health problem ought to be on their shoulders rather than ours to prove we are healthy.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I just got a 3 month card with BP between 140/90 and 159/99 so I could go Sat. Air driving. Doctor said I should get some meds and get it under control before I come in again. I hope they continue to allow BP meds to pass the DOT. Getting my BP down naturally is gonna take longer than 3 months. :/
I had issues with my BP over the years. Been taking meds for over 30 years for it. I also have white coat. FYI the 3 month card is a 1-time thing. After that is annual cards (because you're on bp medication) instead of 2 year cards. That 90 day card is to give you time to get it straightened out.

km3

I had issues with my BP over the years. Been taking meds for over 30 years for it. I also have white coat. FYI the 3 month card is a 1-time thing. After that is annual cards (because you're on bp medication) instead of 2 year cards. That 90 day card is to give you time to get it straightened out.

Yeah, long-term my goal is to get it down naturally so I don't need medication. For the sake of my own health. But for the sake of my job, I hope the DOT doesn't say you can't use BP meds like they apparently are with heart/diabetic medication according to the OP.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've always heard we can't drive if we are diabetics. I don't know how true that is though. And the sleep apnea thing started a few years ago. In my area whether or not we are required to get the testing really depends on what clinic we go to. One has rather high (or should I say low) weight standards and are sending EVERYONE that isn't skinny to get tested. The other sends patients that are actually obese and/or tell the clinic they are always tired.

Technically by weight standards I am obese but I am far from fat and jolly. I have a normal belly of a 41 year old male but I have a pretty big frame/base. I'm 6'2" and 265 lbs. Even at my leanest of 205lbs I was 10% body fat and they considered me to still be obese by weight standards. I haven't been "skinny" according to industry standards since I was 10 years old. Thy did mention possible apnea testing to me if I were to get heavier. But I also had my last physical after being off for 5 months and gaining 30 pounds over that time.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Yeah, long-term my goal is to get it down naturally so I don't need medication. For the sake of my own health. But for the sake of my job, I hope the DOT doesn't say you can't use BP meds like they apparently are with heart/diabetic medication according to the OP.
Don't mess around with BP
Go see your dr and treated , your family needs you and you'll end up with a stroke ,, the pills take effect quit quickly and you wil need 3 good readings to get the dot card straightened out ,,,
You will now have to go once a year for the dot ,, I've been thru it ,, you'll be fine !!

Packmule

That's the other thing they said changed. Now it is a 45 day extension then no more. And for technical reasons you can't bump back to part time. Guess you have to be in a laid off status for that. A DOT physical failure won't work. You're just done.

Packmule

Go see your dr and treated , your family needs you and you'll end up with a stroke ,, the pills take effect quit quickly and you wil need 3 good readings to get the dot card straightened out ,,,
You will now have to go once a year for the dot ,, I've been thru it ,, you'll be fine !!
They indicated that BP meds are still fine as long as your BP is controlled. Mine keep me at 110/70 all year, but during the physical it shoots up to 160/85. Fortunately our new clinic goes to great lengths to help you calm down. Best I get is 135/80.
Keeps me employed, but so frustrating.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
They indicated that BP meds are still fine as long as your BP is controlled. Mine keep me at 110/70 all year, but during the physical it shoots up to 160/85. Fortunately our new clinic goes to great lengths to help you calm down. Best I get is 135/80.
My family doctor (who is also aware that my BP shoots up if I even drive by a doctor's office) gave me a handful of sample packets of medication that would calm me down enough where my BP wouldn't skyrocket.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
We all get a bit worked up going for the DOT ,, it's our meal ticket !!