New DOT physical rules

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
The mask and headgear can be uncomfortable.
It is very difficult having to exhale against positive incoming pressure.
My son is a Biomedical Engineering student at UW-Madison. He is involved in a program to change/improve the CPAP masks. I'll wait until they come up with something better before I tell the DOT doctor that I snore.

clean hairy

You should look into a good ear nose and throat dr. They have ads on the radio about Balloon Sinuplasty and the pillar procedure. They both claim to open your airway and stop snoring without the cpap machine.
Waste your time if you want.
My Wife had that done, and still snores, no difference before or after having it done....

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I had the throat surgery done first a long time ago, my tonsils and adenoids were removed. My wife said it just changed the sound of my snoring. Sleep apnea is caused by your tongue relaxing and blocking off air going to your lungs when you try to fall asleep. So your brain wakes you up hundreds of times in a night so you can breathe. You don't get the restful deep sleep that you need, so you feel exhausted all the time and are prone to drowse off. I wake up alert and have more energy now with the C-Pap.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I would be interested in knowing if these new guidelines are really DOT originated or, perhaps, the idea of our employer to, ultimately, cull the herd.
DOT. Some truck driver with sleep apnea caused a big accident some in government ligic, every truck drive needs to suffer.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I think the event that pushed these rules was the subway driver that road the train up the stairs a couple of years ago.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
They indicated that BP meds are still fine as long as your BP is controlled. Mine keep me at 110/70 all year, but during the physical it shoots up to 160/85. Fortunately our new clinic goes to great lengths to help you calm down. Best I get is 135/80.
Keeps me employed, but so frustrating.
are they using the bigger sleeve on you? i read that a bigger sleeve gives you a lower reading. also a valium, ha ha or a qualude.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
If it is for DOT. Isn't this covered by UPS to cover all expenses? I don't have an issue with either. But, I do see UPS trying to use it as a thinning the herd type of thing

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If it is for DOT. Isn't this covered by UPS to cover all expenses? I don't have an issue with either. But, I do see UPS trying to use it as a thinning the herd type of thing

No.

It is only covered if UPS requires the test. The DOT doctor is requiring the test because he/she suspects you may have a medical condition preventing you from getting a DOT Certification.

Teamcare pays for the test, but only at 80% Your portion could be as high as $800.

The same applies for anyone with certain cardiovascular conditions that require a stress test before being issued a DOT Certification. UPS does not pay for the stress test either.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
that BM is outdated. they have a better test but the doctors won't use it. we have a bunch of drivers that are body builders and that test says they are obese. ridiculous.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
My BMI is off too by the numbers, but I have a done a lot a weight training and a disproportionately large neck for my size. The paper from my visits always asserts I am overweight, but I'm not. I'm 5'8 and 175.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
My BMI is off too by the numbers, but I have a done a lot a weight training and a disproportionately large neck for my size. The paper from my visits always asserts I am overweight, but I'm not. I'm 5'8 and 175.

Even if your BMI is off, it is still only 26 according to the charts they use. Well below the 35 threshhold.

The FMCSA, in their guidelines, have also reminded doctors to take into account athletes and weight lifters when ordering a sleep study based on neck size and BMI.

In other words, if you are not obese, just super muscular, the doctors should not order a sleep study based solely on BMI and neck size.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
there's not a single nfl player that would pass this test. 5'8" and 175 is pretty good .