New driver failure rate

JL 0513

I wouldn't want a 9-5 job. It would be a pretty tough life living on 35 hours a week (or 37.5 with a 1/2 hr lunch).

Seriously, where is this mythical 9-5er? That's not a full time job. I've never seen a paid lunch job although maybe they exist. Very rare though.

Jobs that get out at 4 or 5pm typically start at 7 or 8am. It's a trade off. We start around 9am so we get to stay up later at night and sleep in later. Usually can't have it both ways.

norcalbrown

It's way different than when I started in 1991. Better in some ways, not so much in others. The technology, as far as the DIAD and EDD, is overall a plus. Wow, who knew automatics would be such a godsend! Telematics is actually forcing us to be safer. But packages on average are bigger and heavier, as are stop counts. Definitely feels like "us" vs "them" as far as management is concerned. It used to be much more congenial. Good luck to the new guys.

Notcool

Lol most can't pass the initial driving test here. I am a 9 year PTER failed a few weeks ago. Everyone else on the inside 5-6 guys failed. Its a bit ridiculous UPS dosent train you how to drive their truck especially if your a long time pter. My dad is a retired state trooper. They trained him to drive. I don't see how they will have enough drivers in the future lol most very capable in shape guys that just have never drove a stick. If I don't pass next year I'm out... going to truck driving school where they will train me lol

upschuck

My dad is a retired state trooper. They trained him to drive.
So, he'd never driven before? He knew the basics, and the state taught him the right way to do it. Same with UPS, you gotta know the basics of driving a stick, then they will train you to do it the right way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So, he'd never driven before? He knew the basics, and the state taught him the right way to do it. Same with UPS, you gotta know the basics of driving a stick, then they will train you to do it the right way.

My very first center manager was on the car with me early on in my career. He told me that I needed to be "safely aggressive". I had no idea what that meant at the time. I know what it means now.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
yDzk0A.gif
Still chuckling at this, thanks @Wally

clean hairy

had to take my license test in a stick 3 on the tree.
tells you how long ago that was!
only car dad had.
he made sure we kids would know how to drive a stick shift!