New driver failure rate

Rainman

Its all good.
All of our new package cars are automatics but it will be a long time (decades) before all of our manual shift cars are phased out.
I talked to my mechanic the other night. He said UPS could no longer get parts for the old manual transmission/steering trucks, and as they broke down they would be crunched if no parts were on hand.
Also, the P57 " ambulance" style trucks, with the Sprinter front end and box truck rear, would be next. I would work for free that day if they would let me destroy them.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I talked to my mechanic the other night. He said UPS could no longer get parts for the old manual transmission/steering trucks, and as they broke down they would be crunched if no parts were on hand.
Also, the P57 " ambulance" style trucks, with the Sprinter front end and box truck rear, would be next. I would work for free that day if they would let me destroy them.

Well,....... they keep fixing mine.

Never saw a P57 "ambulance" style package car. My building earlier this year crushed the last of our manual shift non power steering P800. Did not care for the 3 foot first step up, but they were great in the snow.

Can't even go to driving school here if you can't drive a stick... the road test.

Unfortunately; my father made me learn on a stick early on...
When my daughter turned 14 and earned her drivers permit we would take my 5 speed Ford Ranger and drive the gravel roads north of town. Never was very good but I bet she could drive a package car. The biggest problem is getting used to the size of the vehicle.

8000Shelf

When my daughter turned 14 and earned her drivers permit we would take my 5 speed Ford Ranger and drive the gravel roads north of town. Never was very good but I bet she could drive a package car. The biggest problem is getting used to the size of the vehicle.

Honestly, I usually get in a better flow delivering in the old manuals that the new autos...

but it hurts more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was tasked with teaching both of my kids to drive and I made sure that both know how to drive a manual before going for their test.

oldngray

nowhere special
Those old Datsuns would run forever. Or until they fell apart from rust. I had an 81 Datsun pickup. Ugly but refused to die.