New guy with questions :)

Should I quit my day job?

• No - forget UPS altogether

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - take a chance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Collin

So I found this site while researching UPS jobs. It just so happens I had my 2nd interview and passed the road test yesterday for a full time temp. casual driver. I was debating on taking the job and doing what I could as an outside hire to bide my time for full time driver and pick up a second job. This would require me to quit my okay paying day job for a gamble though because they said right away the time frame is 8-13 years at this facility in Upstate New York

I have a friend who knows the inside scoop as he is the shop steward and says that I won't get any hours doing that because they are just hiring for peak and dangling a carrot, and already have 12 cover drivers.

My other option is to stay at my current job full time, and work as a part time inside package handler from 5-9 so I'm inside and maybe be a cover driver on my day off from the full time job. This will put me higher on the list for seniority, and give me better benefits than my current job. They are burning through people as package handlers so I could definitely get my days in to cover pension and benefits.

Is there anything I'm missing in the picture or a better option so I don't go broke over the next 8 years? Right now it seems if I want to make it to full time driver, easiest and fastest way will be part time package handler and keep my day job until I win a bid for full time and just bust my butt for the next few years.

Sorry for the long post, especially for a first one but wanted to explain my situation. I'm in the upstate NY area and would love to be a full time driver (like everybody else!) Thanks for all the help in advance!

PT Car Washer

I would say most drivers start out working at UPS PT and another job FT or PT until their chance to drive comes up. Sometimes years but last year the wait was months.

calcio56

I say keep you full time and work part time evenings at ups. That's what I did, sat in the office during the day and local sort at night....it's long days but the second income and no time to spend it will make your bank account look nice. Plus local sort is way easier than preload.

That being said, I went full time in less than a year.

See what kind of pt air driving you can get into.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Unless you're getting hired off the street as a FULL TIME driver, by all means keep the day job. If you start driving with too little seniority you'll sit on your ass eleven months out of the year but get called up just in time to save Christmas and have your weekends butt raped.

Wait until you see the next driver below you is driving every day, then call it safe to quit the day job and start driving. Full time drivers make a lot of money, but you also got to consider how many years of regular income you got to miss out on until then.

It's a gamble either way because even then, after all the waiting you may find you don't even like driving and could have been doing something else all those years. But to those who can find a way to effectively wait it out and enjoy doing it, the payoff is substantial.