New Hires and Supervisor Training them. Central Region!

RealPerson

They allow this to keep up with the flow. A new hire will be much slower. The sup works as he trains to keep up. As the new hire gets the hang of it, he will be able to keep up on his own.

A new hire has 30 days to qualify. A sup can work with him for 30 days and no longer.
30 working days or 30 days that count towards seniority?
This is the FREE Period..... so that would be nice to know...
Also if your building needs 20 workers just hire 10 and let 10 sups work....

RealPerson

When training a new hire, they can both work. At least in the Central.

Article 1
Section 2
The Employer agrees that the function of supervisors is the supervision of employees and not the performance of the work of the employees they supervise.
Accordingly, the parties agree that supervisors will not perform the work of the parties they supervise except during training, demonstration and safety education. The Employer will have the right to monitor and inspect the employees’ work.
The training of new employees or unqualified employees: the immediate area shall mean the entire assigned work area (a preload work area means the number of cars a qualified employee would be loading). However, in cross training and/or training of a previously qualified employee the supervisor must train beside the hourly employee. This supervisor shall not perform bargaining unit work at the same time as the previously qualified employee.

OK, well most are work as assigned in the building, so the sups that are working I heard are just anywhere.
I understand that a new hire can not work as fast till they get the hang of it (should be a week)
But, isn't this the reason for hiring them during the free period NOVEMBER and having them trained by PEAK??? December....

Also the supervisor working many will be working harder than 3 normal people... HA
Sup on my shift looked like he was going to have a stroke.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
30 working days or 30 days that count towards seniority?
This is the FREE Period..... so that would be nice to know...
Also if your building needs 20 workers just hire 10 and let 10 sups work....
Cannot do this. A sup training a new employee can only work and train him in an area that a qualified employee would work. If it is preload and a qualified employee loads these 4 cars, then the sup traing the new hire has to stay within these 4 cars.

Same with unload and reload. A sup and a new hire will do no more work than 1 qualified employee, so if they need 20 people, they will have to hire 20.

And it is 30 working days for seniority. I know it is the free period, but most seasonal employees will not work more than 30 working days, so theoretically, he could have a sup with him the whole time.

But again, they can only work an area that 1 qualified employee is expected to do. They cannot go help out anyone else even if they are caught up.

ultrarunner

30 days!?!? Geez I got trained two weeks and was on my own.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Just finished my second day of employment, loading two trucks by myself. Day#1 I was on unload for 5 minutes and then asked if I wanted to load, so I loaded 1 truck by myself and covered the Sup's for about an hour or so. Have learned a lot, apologized for every error, move swiftly, and still don't have an ID#!!

undies

A supervisor came out in a van and took work off of me. He had an off the street driver helper with him. Supposedly it was "training". Thinking this is a violation...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My building has watchers. Take an old high seniority hourly and he stands there and watches the sup work. Not even a hint of training. Actually you can file on this for supervisor working but the old hourly would not like it.
Our local supplement addressed "demos" being used this way.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Had a PT preload sup tell me the other day he was training a new hire. I asked the sup where the new hire was and the sup told me they had already sent him home for the day. He then told me he wasn't working, just splitting the belt and stacking boxes behind the cars.

Thats a Grievance and easy free double time for the time he worked

PT Car Washer

A supervisor came out in a van and took work off of me. He had an off the street driver helper with him. Supposedly it was "training". Thinking this is a violation...
I used to ride along with sups all the time. Glorified driver helper making top driver wages and the sup buys lunch and we always stopped for lunch.