New Hires

F

flee

I am new to this board and know this question has been probably been posted numerous times.

I am 35 years of age, excellent physical condition and am very interested in a driver's position with UPS after working the past 9 years in law enforcement. I will be relocating to the Indianapolis area from SW Florida and need some help and direction as to where to begin.

I applied online but to be honest, found that the website provides very little information about outside hires. I am married with two kids, and although I have no problem "working" my way up, I don't know if I could do it financially while waiting for a driver's postion.

Any suggestions on where to begin? How did you obtain your job? All input is greatly appreciated.

Bryan

O

opie

Why not try going into law enforcement in the Indianapolis area? There are some hubs out there are taking applications for drivers, only because there are no part-timers available to take them for whatever reason. Indianapolis seems to be a high volume area, so you could get lucky and go directly to FT. But most people have to start PT and then move on into FT. They may need temporary drivers soon for peak season, so you can try that maybe. Good luck.

J

jelly_donuts

The ideal situation would be to have a job prior to moving in May 2006 so I am trying to gather as much information as possible.

Any ideas where to begin? I am not familiar with UPS operations so I am not familiar with the hubs etc. in the Indianapolis area. How did you all land driver positions - apply directly at the hub that you wished to work?

Do you have any information specifically about the Indianapolis divison that would be helpful in the job search?

Why would there be no P/T employeeds available to fill the driver positions there - I thought it was very difficult to land one without "working your way up"?

I guess my main concern is how to go about applying and gaining information. The website is a little vague and I don't want to make endless phone calls.

Thanks for your input.

Bryan

M

moreluck

jelly donuts....OK, you have picked the cutest name on this board! Luv it!
kaffekopp.gif

B

brownmonster

We give out the 1-888 work-ups number here in WI. Tells you what centers are hiring. I don't know if it is a national number?

N

nevadapaul

You can retire in 15 years as a cop??? With 85% of your salary for the rest of your life??? Stay a cop!!!!

J

jelly_donuts

After spending the last 5 years in Vice/Narcotics, I have become burned out in law enforcement. Crazy hours, a lot of time away from my family, and having to constantly deal with society's less than desireable people. I have saved a lot of money towards retirement and have been vested for several years (pension).

I enjoy getting out and interacting with people - something that I think will work for me if I were to land a driver's position. I know it is hard work, with long days, but at this point, I would welcome the change.

How did you guys land a driver's job? Work your way through the ranks or directly off the street?

U

ups_gal_710

Well JD to me it sounds like you already work for UPS almost. Yes we work LONG hours, kids are already in bed when you get home (sometimes not a bad thing). We deal with some really off the wall customers. Some drivers go through burn out because you see the same people day in and day out. With UPS you are quilty until proven otherwise in case of a accident.

All I can say is good luck on getting a driver position. I started PT in the unload with the sun beating down and those trailers and no ventilation.

Have you thought about a Feeder (Semi) spot?? Your home everyday and I know they hire off the street sometimes for those positions. I have a Law degree and I will trade spots anyday you want. Good Luck

P

pd109

jelly D...I was 35 when I was hired off the street.I think that aspect varies from the companys needs from town to town.I`m in Canada,but ups is ups.They do what they want when they want.I`m 50 now and although I`m still relativley healthy,it beats the crap out of your body doing it on a daily basis.Sometimes I think its gonna kill me,other days its whats keeping me alive.I agree with ups_gal,try to get into feeders.(thats tractor/trailer)in non ups terms.(you might have to go to the gym for exercise)
Its really stressful in package delivery unless you are perfect in every way...and you`ll find yourself overworked and underloved...good luck
happy.gif

J

jelly_donuts

Can you explain the "feeder" job? Why is it called that?

What does the job entail? Home everynight? Is it a salaried position? Are these positions easier to obtain than a package delivery position?

Can you give me any insight into the hiring process? Is there anything that I can do prior to moving and applying in the Indianapolis area?

Thanks for the helpful information.

T

toonertoo

Jelly, with your background sounds like a loss prevention job would be locked up. (excuse the pun)
I think it would be a fun position since you already know of the element, and maybe you could catch some of the bad ones that UPS now lets go, on good sound deliveries. A little investigation could solve many of the follow ups.
But if you really think you want to beat your jelly donut physique (I know you probaly arent, but you call yourself that) into the dirt, I dont think you will get anywhere any time soon. And with a family part time is hard but with full benefits, and plenty of time in the afternoon to pursue other things, in certain areas it may be the way to go. Personally I would go the LP route, and send it to Atlanta, a resume. And ignore the website as it seems to be only for the hourly ranks. JMHO

J

jelly_donuts

The Jelly Donuts moniker is just that (Cop/Donut). I haven't thought of the LP angle - I assume that each hub probably has its own division.

As you can tell, I don't know much about the company. I do know that it is a stable company, with good pay and benefits. I feel it would be a good company to work for and to support a family.

I like working outdoors, mostly unsupervised, and interacting with people. It is also a job that I could stay in good shape. I just want to think that I am employable and not wasting my time.

If you know anything specific about the feeder or LP positions, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

J

jelly_donuts

The Jelly Donuts moniker is just that (Cop/Donut). I haven't thought of the LP angle - I assume that each hub probably has its own division.

As you can tell, I don't know much about the company. I do know that it is a stable company, with good pay and benefits. I feel it would be a good company to work for and to support a family.

I like working outdoors, mostly unsupervised, and interacting with people. It is also a job that I could stay in good shape. I just want to think that I am employable and not wasting my time.

If you know anything specific about the feeder or LP positions, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

P

pd109

my opinion/find the number for the hub nearest to where you are relocating and ask if they need drivers and ask if you can fax a resume

B

brett636

I work at the 81st street hub here in Indy, and right now our wait to become a driver is about 10-12 years. Most of that time will be part-time. We also have a hub closer to downtown indy(on 16th Street), and I have been told their wait times are shorter, about 5-6 years, but that was a while ago that I last heard that figure. Your best bet is to call HR and ask, they have a pretty good idea of what the wait is there. I am not sure on how many outside hires they have done(although the ratio is supposed to be 6 inside to 1 outside hire), but it probably wouldn't hurt to throw your app at them and see what happens. I dunno where opie gets his info about going directly into driving as I know lots of part-timers that would love to drive, but can't due to the wait.

I should also mention that its probably good that your not interested in staying in law enforcement because Indianapolis just announced layoffs for fire fighters and Policemen to make room in the budget for the new Colts Stadium. If you do stay in law enforcement you may want to considering some of the outlying counties, as they have lower crime rates and aren't laying off the officers they have.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, or just post them here and I will answer them as best I can.

U

ups_gal_710

JD,
Feeders are where the semi's take the loads or packages to and from other centers or Hubs. When you first start out most of your time will be running a tractor on midnights. But, your back home by the morning. Most feeders drivers will tell you that it's the best job at UPS.

LP is hired by division area. Not ever center or Hub has it's own LP operation but, that does differ between places. LP is a management position not union. Make some phone calls to HR and they should be able to help assist you.

O

opie

Why would there be no P/T employeeds available to fill the driver positions there - I thought it was very difficult to land one without "working your way up"?

Going directly to FT is something that happens not too often. Sometimes in some areas, especially in high volume areas. There aren't enough P/T employees who can take a driving job. Because either they don't want to, don't know how to drive a manual transmission, bad or no driving record, etc...I know here in the North Jersey area they are accepting applications online (upsjobs.com) for package car drivers and even possibly feeders. This is something I could be doing now, but don't know how to drive a stick!
wall.gif

J

jelly_donuts

Can anyone provide me with information on a "feeder" position? Are these easier to get "off the street"?

Do they hire those without any prior driving experience? What is required - a CDL? Do they have a training course (similiar to package car training)?

What does the job entail? Is it all local driving where you are home everyday? Any idea what it pays?

What is the good and bad? You mentioned that some think it is the "best job at UPS" - why is that?

Thanks for your help.

S

sendagain

feeder drivers are our semi drivers. You either need a license to drive big rigs already, or wait a long time as a package driver to move into semi driving. the pay is slightly better, sometimes having more overtime with a lot of night work. I had a friend who retired as a postal inspector, a well paid position without the continual climate of losers the police have to deal with. Unless of course, police work in any form is a hassle.

J

jelly_donuts

So the chances of someone coming from the outside, without any prior driving experience, getting a feeder position are pretty much slim to none?

How about if you have a CDL but no prior semi-driving?

Is this driving usually within the state, returning home everyday?