New, Improved (?) Response Thread

Stat41

It would be nice for the company to say in beginning why something is being done,MEM hub is stressed so here is what we are doing.
The major problem is local stations like mine where the mid day routes have too much territory to cover and bring back stops so WDL is definite issue. We had 8 drivers quit,new hires for midday. I don’t blame them,little training and here is 40 stops covering five routes and get pups later. Maybe it gets better idk,when peak comes I have no problem bring stuff back if run out of time and I won’t be out at 2100 etc.

Agreed! And I am not going to go through another bad peak this year. If its like last year, I will be bringing stops back. I have never, ever, done that before but I'm just tired of it all.

NC man

Agreed! And I am not going to go through another bad peak this year. If its like last year, I will be bringing stops back. I have never, ever, done that before but I'm just tired of it all.
Yep, even have people now,some hires or transfers saying I’m not taking this or that etc and or bring stuff back and they got back at 1600! I will be returning to building at 1800 done or not,clock out by 1900

throwaway10

Technically that's not a policy.
Actually it is, but for the most part delivering a few P2 with your P1 isn't an issue. But there are customers who know the system and knowingly work it to their benefit. Example we have a fairly large customer, who gets 80-100 envelopes a day all P2, but they ship one empty envelope P1 to themselves each day knowing that they will get them all together(well that was until response) P1 and P2 are on separate routes now. P2 route doesn't show up til 3-4pm

floridays

Technically, it’s the most efficient system, therefore the most profitable. It’s not about courier convenience, it’s about the bottom line. And the bottom line is where your next raise comes from.
I think that is arguable, but not worth arguing about.
The shipper is the customer, the recipient is just that, the recipient, that pays the freight bill to the shipper (our customer). If the recipient needs it priority it should be demanded (priority shipping) from the shipper (our customer) which will cost the recipient more. If it is worth the second trip (more profitable) to fedex is arguable. No doubt one stop is more efficient.

My thought, correct me. I have no doubt you are more intelligent than I am.
That was truth, not tongue in cheek blather.

Another argument, the next raise doesn't come from the bottom line, it comes from the market price to retain competent employees (or mirror foggers) at a certain point in time. Fedex works under market driven wages. Not contract bargained or government time in position. You knew that though.

Hello Fred. :thumbup1:

Aquaman

Actually it is, but for the most part delivering a few P2 with your P1 isn't an issue. But there are customers who know the system and knowingly work it to their benefit. Example we have a fairly large customer, who gets 80-100 envelopes a day all P2, but they ship one empty envelope P1 to themselves each day knowing that they will get them all together(well that was until response) P1 and P2 are on separate routes now. P2 route doesn't show up til 3-4pm
That’s all this plan is designed to do. Forget whatever you’ve heard about diverting P2 away from Memphis, lightening the load on the hub, reducing flights. Forget all that bull:censored2:. This is about one thing, squeezing customers into P1.... that’s all it’s about. It’s why we were never told the reasoning for the plan before it went into place. They didn’t want customers being warned. When has FedEx ever left it’s drivers in the dark about massive changes coming to its customers. They WANTED to pull the rug out on customers.

floridays

That’s all this plan is designed to do. Forget whatever you’ve heard about diverting P2 away from Memphis, lightening the load on the hub, reducing flights. Forget all that bull*. This is about one thing, squeezing customers into P1.... that’s all it’s about. It’s why we were never told the reasoning for the plan before it went into place. They didn’t want customers being warned. When has FedEx ever left it’s drivers in the dark about massive changes coming to its customers. They WANTED to pull the rug out on customers.
More flights leaving Mem daily than before, hard to staff crew members, ask dano.

Aquaman

Quite a tangled path the first thread’s taken. I learned something today about how the company views the program so far.

There was a meeting with all ops and senior managers in our district. According to two who were there, Response is reducing the total outbound Memphis volume by three million P2 pieces a month. If left together with P1’s, flights would be delayed two or three hours.

Of course, there are always lots of P1’s in the afternoon sort. These aren’t supposed to be there. Duh!

Another tidbit that I’m not sure is nationwide or just Memphis. FedEx will pay employees who recommend new hires. The longer they stay, the more you would get, up to about three months. I think the compensation is $50 for a month, $100 for two and $300 if they stay three months or more.
The fact that the company thinks a couple hundred bucks is a motivating amount of money is embarrassing. The problem is PAY. Now you want me, a 14 year RTD who's 5 steps from where I should be, to go be a recruiter and do the job of a manager. And if i happen to find you a decent employee, you’ll give me $100 haha. I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone I care about. And I don’t know a single current employee that feels differently. It’s clear the company is just trying to limp its way until the COVID unemployment benefit goes away. They think that’s the end of their hiring troubles. That people will go back to taking low paying jobs. Well that might be true.... if majority of employees that already work here weren’t furious about pay progression. New prospects looking for jobs, skip right over express due to pay. The ones that do take the job are immediately met by 18 year employees still years from top out telling them don’t bother. It’s not going away with the end of COVID. Look at the UPS model... if you pay employees well, you can pay new employees less. Because there is something to look forward to. It’s clear that compensation is a game to express. We’ve just had the most profitable years in company history, and they’re playing the game.

Stat41

That’s all this plan is designed to do. Forget whatever you’ve heard about diverting P2 away from Memphis, lightening the load on the hub, reducing flights. Forget all that bull*. This is about one thing, squeezing customers into P1.... that’s all it’s about. It’s why we were never told the reasoning for the plan before it went into place. They didn’t want customers being warned. When has FedEx ever left it’s drivers in the dark about massive changes coming to its customers. They WANTED to pull the rug out on customers.
We have had times where we could only deliver P1 exclusively and then had to deliver the P2 packages to the same customer later. Wouldnt that have been a more elegant solution than this debacle?

MAKAVELI

It might be a local directive but it isn't a company policy. Stand-alones are the bigger issue for the company. As far as customers trying to "cheat" the system, they are easily singled out and dealt with individually.

MAKAVELI

If it was than they would've started smaller at the station level and not all at once from flights, hubs, ramps and stations. It was a plan to change the entire system all at once which is probably the dumbest idea out of Memphis in a while.

Aquaman

If it was than they would've started smaller at the station level and not all at once from flights, hubs, ramps and stations. It was a plan to change the entire system all at once which is probably the dumbest idea out of Memphis in a while.
They figured no better time to change it up than when they’re swimming in profit.

Aquaman

We have had times where we could only deliver P1 exclusively and then had to deliver the P2 packages to the same customer later. Wouldnt that have been a more elegant solution than this debacle?
They don’t trust couriers to actually do it. Idc what express tells me to do. I’m running my route the easiest way I know how. They know that’s what drivers do. Express doesn’t exist without priority overnight. It’s the only reason we’re in business. And it’s the only service they want customers choosing. The reality of it is e-commerce is exploding. And nobody cares if their butt plug off Amazon arrives before 10:30am.

Star B

White Lightening
um, most couriers will want their P1 on time and then do the P2 whenever. that's how our station handles the "trying to get bulky as crap P2 during P1 cycle"

NC man

Just the other day we were told no p2 del until p1 is finished. Customers shud get p1 before another gets p2 but customers don’t know if you did a p2 first and they still got their p1 on time. This company could be lot more efficient if we could mix as long as no late p1. I’m not say do 20 p2 but right now if I’m at end of p1 at 1120 and have 2 hoods left I have to do p1 in one ,skip the p2 ,go to the other hood and do the p1 and p2 and go back to the other hood to do the p2 which could have been on same street or next door,it happens. No common sense anymore and most of us want to get done and go home.
The job is easy but Fed makes it frustrating

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Just the other day we were told no p2 del until p1 is finished. Customers shud get p1 before another gets p2 but customers don’t know if you did a p2 first and they still got their p1 on time. This company could be lot more efficient if we could mix as long as no late p1. I’m not say do 20 p2 but right now if I’m at end of p1 at 1120 and have 2 hoods left I have to do p1 in one ,skip the p2 ,go to the other hood and do the p1 and p2 and go back to the other hood to do the p2 which could have been on same street or next door,it happens. No common sense anymore and most of us want to get done and go home.
The job is easy but Fed makes it frustrating
Have you ever waited for your “turn” at a bulk site after going through a security check (at&t/Verizon/etc)? The delay is incredible at times.
Now they want you to run pure cycles and repeat the delays. That should more than double a part time route on road.
Next they’ll want to know why you didn’t hit SPH.

NC man

Have you ever waited for your “turn” at a bulk site after going through a security check (at&t/Verizon/etc)? The delay is incredible at times.
Now they want you to run pure cycles and repeat the delays. That should more than double a part time route on road.
Next they’ll want to know why you didn’t hit SPH.
Luckily my route is 99% resi now and no bulk businesses to deal with but I know what you mean. As far as SPH,that hasn’t been brought up in years where I am