COVID-19 and how I am being personally affected

I had symptoms of illness on Wednesday, March 25th, 2020. I reported these symptoms to my supervisor and, consequently, was made (by management) unable to return to work until I could obtain the results of a COVID-19 test. On that same day, I scheduled a COVID-19 test through my physician's office. The soonest I was able to schedule the test was on Friday, March 27th, due to the fact that Kentucky (as someone at my physician's office reported to me while scheduling the appointment) had just, two days earlier, set up the first testing site in Louisville, KY. For your information by the way, Kentucky apparently lagged behind other states (McAlister, 2020)...(as KY lags behind other states in many metrics) in their ability to quickly establish a testing site. I was informed at the testing site that I would be "...called in a few days." As of today, Wednesday, April 1, 2020, I have not received a call. I have reported as being symptom free to my supervisor as of Tuesday, March 31, 2020. Yet, I cannot return to work without the results of this test.

My question is this: should I be compensated for the time I couldn't work even though I followed all the procedural guidelines set forth by our governing bodies and the medical community? The advice was that if you feel sick, you should stay home. Well, I felt sick and stayed home. Now, I understand that if the test comes back as positive for COVID-19 that I will be compensated. However, what if the test comes back negative, or worse, I do not get a call? I have still followed all procedural guidelines, and in my opinion, have done the responsible thing, not only for my own well-being, but for anyone who may have been affected had I made the decision to continue to work while having symptoms of illness.

I have, as of today (April, 1,2020) contacted my local union hall (Local 89) to address this question. I was transferred to the office of :censored2: and was prompted to leave a voicemail message (which I did). I have yet to be called back. I am of the mind that we, unionized UPSers above all, should be compensated beyond the agreement recently met between our union and the firm so as to extend compensation to anyone who is laid-off due to following the procedural guidelines set forth by our governing bodies during this pandemic crisis. I think that a more amicable agreement could have been reached in this regard. The purpose of having reached out to union leadership was to ascertain, whether or not, an attempt was made to this regard. I, personally, demand fully accountability of our union leadership and representation (as I am paying for it through union dues) and fully expect a timely, courteous, and detailed response to that end. What are your thoughts?

References
McAlister, S. (2020, March 19). Why is Kentucky so far behind in coronavirus drive-thru testing? [video]. Retrieved from Why is Kentucky so far behind in coronavirus drive-thru testing?.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I had symptoms of illness on Wednesday, March 25th, 2020. I reported these symptoms to my supervisor and, consequently, was made (by management) unable to return to work until I could obtain the results of a COVID-19 test. On that same day, I scheduled a COVID-19 test through my physician's office. The soonest I was able to schedule the test was on Friday, March 27th, due to the fact that Kentucky (as someone at my physician's office reported to me while scheduling the appointment) had just, two days earlier, set up the first testing site in Louisville, KY. For your information by the way, Kentucky apparently lagged behind other states (McAlister, 2020)...(as KY lags behind other states in many metrics) in their ability to quickly establish a testing site. I was informed at the testing site that I would be "...called in a few days." As of today, Wednesday, April 1, 2020, I have not received a call. I have reported as being symptom free to my supervisor as of Tuesday, March 31, 2020. Yet, I cannot return to work without the results of this test.

My question is this: should I be compensated for the time I couldn't work even though I followed all the procedural guidelines set forth by our governing bodies and the medical community? The advice was that if you feel sick, you should stay home. Well, I felt sick and stayed home. Now, I understand that if the test comes back as positive for COVID-19 that I will be compensated. However, what if the test comes back negative, or worse, I do not get a call? I have still followed all procedural guidelines, and in my opinion, have done the responsible thing, not only for my own well-being, but for anyone who may have been affected had I made the decision to continue to work while having symptoms of illness.

I have, as of today (April, 1,2020) contacted my local union hall (Local 89) to address this question. I was transferred to the office of :censored2: and was prompted to leave a voicemail message (which I did). I have yet to be called back. I am of the mind that we, unionized UPSers above all, should be compensated beyond the agreement recently met between our union and the firm so as to extend compensation to anyone who is laid-off due to following the procedural guidelines set forth by our governing bodies during this pandemic crisis. I think that a more amicable agreement could have been reached in this regard. The purpose of having reached out to union leadership was to ascertain, whether or not, an attempt was made to this regard. I, personally, demand fully accountability of our union leadership and representation (as I am paying for it through union dues) and fully expect a timely, courteous, and detailed response to that end. What are your thoughts?

References
McAlister, S. (2020, March 19). Why is Kentucky so far behind in coronavirus drive-thru testing? [video]. Retrieved from Why is Kentucky so far behind in coronavirus drive-thru testing?.
download (4).jpg

I’m not sure how you can determine yourself symptom free. Since you haven’t received the test results. You should still be in quarantine. Until you get a negative test result, UPS is considering you gone for 14 days. I don’t know when the 14 day period starts, after taking test, or after confirmed positive test. If you have it, you’ll be out a month. The Union got you 10 days, no hazard pay. You should be compensated, let us know when and how easy. Thanks.

FreedomOne

References

Virus shedding can last for weeks after symptoms diminish.

Go to UPSers fill out the Covid pay forms and email them or call 866-790-9405 for any questions

While ranting seems to have a cathartic value for some, and I would never want to deny anyone this, the issue here is (according to my understanding), whether or not I am eligible for emergency paid leave. Thank you to all for the prior posts, by the way. They have added to my understanding of the matter. I contacted my fleet manager today as well as union management. Shockingly, after having had contacted the persons who would presumably know the details of these matters, I still don't feel that I have received a definite answer on this issue.

My fleet manager indicated that he thought I would only receive said compensation if my test result came back as positive; in which case, I would have to be off work from the day I took the test onward for a period of 2 weeks (at least). My union representative, who did eventually call me back by the way, to his credit (not a steward, someone in charge of Health & Safety or something like that at the local), indicated that he had been informed that anyone who had to mandatorily take time off as a result of COVID-19 testing would be compensated. If you look at the wording of the document above that someone kindly submitted, it would seem as though I would fall under the category of "UPSers who are mandated to quarantine by UPS Health & Safety, a treating physician, or a public health official." So, I have been placed mandatorily off-work by UPS for reporting an illness (taking a sick day) and am unable to return unless I can provide proof of a positive test result. My physician's office gave me a document at the testing site that clearly states, "Please follow precautions at home and quarantine yourself until you receive results." (see image). Further, I have a postcard from the CDC that clearly states, "If YOU FEEL SICK, stay home. Do not go to work." (see image)

I was referred to another person's voicemail box at the union hall by the first person I spoke with and am still awaiting a callback. I was also referred to UPS's Department of Health & Safety's voicemail box by my fleet manager and am awaiting a callback from them. I'm starting to get a sense that UPS just doesn't want to compensate me according to the very agreement put in place by them and our union and that the union is not very interested in backing up that agreement either. If we are only compensated when following the rules and guidelines set forth by the firm, health officials, the government, etc., under the condition that we obtain a positive test result, wouldn't it be a disincentive to report illness knowing that you could be sitting home simply unpaid? How would that be in keeping consistent with the notion of slowing the spread of this contagion?

Attachments

• Scanned_20200401-2102.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 229
  • Scanned_20200401-2110.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 210
I
I’m not sure how you can determine yourself symptom free. Since you haven’t received the test results. You should still be in quarantine. Until you get a negative test result, UPS is considering you gone for 14 days. I don’t know when the 14 day period starts, after taking test, or after confirmed positive test. If you have it, you’ll be out a month. The Union got you 10 days, no hazard pay. You should be compensated, let us know when and how easy. Thanks.

I definitely will continue to report my experience and the difficulties experienced in the process, thanks!

Include a letter from the Dr that tested you for confirmation. Easy peasy.

I wish it were that easy. Unfortunately, I was tested at a testing site and was simply told that they would call me "in a few days." I'm not really certain at this point as to whether I will receive any documentation but that remains to be seen. Btw, that was last Friday and we're pushing on Thursday. I guess the term "few" is relative.

iruhnman630

CDC recommends 7 days from symptom onset AND 72 hours fever free without medication AND significant improvement of symptoms.

That is what I went by before returning Monday (11 days after onset and a week fever free)

I wish it were that easy. Unfortunately, I was tested at a testing site and was simply told that they would call me "in a few days." I'm not really certain at this point as to whether I will receive any documentation but that remains to be seen. Btw, that was last Friday and we're pushing on Thursday. I guess the term "few" is relative.
You don’t have any contact number? When they call you ask for written documentation of the test, positive or negative. They could email it to you. I’m sure many people will be asking for writing confirmation of the test.

Interesting. Well, according to what I've been told, I cannot return to work unless I have documentation of a negative test result for COVID-19 along with a note from a physician. Now, if the test comes back positive, I believe I have to be off work for at least a period of 2 weeks from the testing date per Brown.