New InfoNotice, English/Spanish

Sammie

A few phrases we need to know;

Tienen un dia agradable mis amigos UPS,
SAT. (quote)

Tienen un dia agradable mis amigos UPS??

(They have an I gave pleasant my friends UPS, :sad:)!!

Muy bueno, mi amigo!

Kinda reminds me of some of the bloopers I've read about -

When Coca Cola was first translated into Chinese, the phrase meant "bite the wax tadpole."

Pepsi had problems with Chinese when their slogan "Come Alive with the Pepsi Generation" was translated for a Taiwanese billboard as "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the dead."

KFC found that its "Finger-Lickin' Good" slogan was translated into Chinese as "Eat Your Fingers Off."

And Ford Motor Company had it's fair share of grief. When they marketed the Pinto in Brazil, they found that "Pinto" was Brazilian slang for "Small Peni#."

Ford also experienced problems in Mexico, where its Caliente wasn't selling. The company eventually discovered that "Caliente" is Mexican slang for "Prostitute."

Ford's light truck Fiera had a similar problem: in several Spanish-speaking countries, "Fiera" is slang for "ugly old woman."

But the prize goes to General Motors, where the Chevy Nova was advertised in Latin America without a name change. When spoken aloud, it sounds like the Spanish phrase "no va," which means "it does not go."

Glad I wasn't part of those marketing departments!!!:bored:

browniehound

I do my banking with a regional bank that doesn't have ATM's everywhere like Bank of America does. I will get charged 2 bucks to use most other's banks ATMs save for a selct few. My bank has the selection "choose here to conduct you transaction in english", so I would like to avoid their machines. I know of this 1 machine, its a local savings bank, and it dosen't charge a fee and it doesen't ask which language you would like to conduct you transaction in. Needless to say, I go out of my way to use this ATM and ut makes me happy that there is at least 1 left in America that doesn't ask whick language you would like!!!

satellitedriver

A few phrases we need to know;

Tienen un dia agradable mis amigos UPS,
SAT. (quote)

Muy bueno, mi amigo!

Kinda reminds me of some of the bloopers I've read about -

When Coca Cola was first translated into Chinese, the phrase meant "bite the wax tadpole."

Pepsi had problems with Chinese when their slogan "Come Alive with the Pepsi Generation" was translated for a Taiwanese billboard as "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the dead."

KFC found that its "Finger-Lickin' Good" slogan was translated into Chinese as "Eat Your Fingers Off."

And Ford Motor Company had it's fair share of grief. When they marketed the Pinto in Brazil, they found that "Pinto" was Brazilian slang for "Small Peni#."

Ford also experienced problems in Mexico, where its Caliente wasn't selling. The company eventually discovered that "Caliente" is Mexican slang for "Prostitute."

Ford's light truck Fiera had a similar problem: in several Spanish-speaking countries, "Fiera" is slang for "ugly old woman."

But the prize goes to General Motors, where the Chevy Nova was advertised in Latin America without a name change. When spoken aloud, it sounds like the Spanish phrase "no va," which means "it does not go."

Glad I wasn't part of those marketing departments!!!:bored:

I was trying to say, 'Have a nice day, my UPS friends."

Sorry,
I only took spanish in High School for two semesters in 1967.
The real MexTex I know would only get me into a fight.
PAX