New Member with two related questions.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Question. Do you guys punch in on the Diad now and that's why go get them? I'm a bit out of touch on that.

However, if the Diad is essentially your punch in device then punch in, everything else can wait till 9:40:01.
Yes we have to punch in on the diad. It's your time card now.

StongUPSThroughCompliance

20 Year Package Car Driver
What is all this gathering our things about? I show up maybe a minute or two before start time. Grab my board and call tags and clock in. Then wait for the PCM to start. What else is their to do?
688, this is probably the difference between centers. In my center it is expected to grab your board and punch in, then review your previous days performance and then sign that paper and any other paperwork(missed, late, closed after 5, etc), then check a box for other paperwork, sign for high values, sign for call tags, sign for driver followups, etc., then get helper board if peak. Yes we kill trees at our center with the paperwork. Then walk to different part of building to be at PCM by start time. I feel this should all be paid time. Btw, if I walk in at 839 for 840 start by the time I do this I will miss the PCM.

Yes we have to punch in on the diad. It's your time card now.

Gotcha.

We have a central device that we enter our "punch in"time, basically it shows we were there at or before our start time. We then go back at our start time and enter our ID number and the go on "work".

Nothing gets done off the clock.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I disagree. Working off the clock is working off the clock.

If you don't get your DIAD before your start time then how do you know if you're late or not? And if you wait to punch in till your start time then you run the run the risk of punching in late and then you aren't guaranteed your 8 hours pay.

Before start time I grab, my DIAD, punch in, hit "get EDD" and stuff it in my back pocket. Game over till PCM starts.

Brownslave688

Lol I'm a slow reader and I wouldn't glance at that stuff until on the clock. I would then take a good 5-10 minutes to look over it all and proceed to RTS every freaking sheet of paper put in front of me.

If you don't get your DIAD before your start time then how do you know if you're late or not? And if you wait to punch in till your start time then you run the run the risk of punching in late and then you aren't guaranteed your 8 hours pay.

Before start time I grab, my DIAD, punch in, hit "get EDD" and stuff it in my back pocket. Game over till PCM starts.

I have addressed that you guys need your Diad to punch in.

Johney

Question. Do you guys punch in on the Diad now and that's why go get them? I'm a bit out of touch on that.

However, if the Diad is essentially your punch in device then punch in, everything else can wait till 9:40:01.
Yes this is how package drivers clock in so if your start time is 9:40 and you punch in at 9:40:01 you are late and the report will show an L by your name. See how long that last before you get discipline for being late.

Brownslave688

Yes this is how package drivers clock in so if your start time is 9:40 and you punch in at 9:40:01 you are late and the report will show an L by your name. See how long that last before you get discipline for being late.
Wrong it would have to be 9:41 before you were late. Doesn't count seconds.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Like BS said, you're technically not late until 9:41:00 if your start time is 9:40.

But I always say, if you're not early, you're late.

Brownslave688

Like BS said, you're technically not late until 9:41:00 if your start time is 9:40.

But I always say, if you're not early, you're late.
I only know its 9:41 because I often clock in RIGHT on time. It's amazing really. Living 2 miles away get me in trouble more than it helps.

oldngray

nowhere special
I only know its 9:41 because I often clock in RIGHT on time. It's amazing really. Living 2 miles away get me in trouble more than it helps.

I thought the DIAD rounded time off by closest minute. Up to :30 you are on time and :31 after you would show up as late. The pickup time scans are counted that way at least (or used to be).

I didn't say don't punch in till 9:40:01. I said everything else can wait till 9:40:01.

Punch in on your board when you like. Then have some coffee, chat with other drivers ,etc. At 9:40 feel free to start work or "gathering".

StongUPSThroughCompliance

20 Year Package Car Driver
Thanks for the input. So tomorrow I will gather the names of all the center managers, on cars, preload sups, and the center manager(he is stationed in our hub) that I see out in the hub around off-the-clock drivers. I'm going to file a concern online on the UPS helpline website and name all management that is looking the other way. I will mention the $32 million dollar Tyson lawsuit and FLSA. Then I will wait and see if this gets addressed in any of the 3 centers in my building. As for a grievance, this will be my second course of action. I don't want the money and I would have to call out other drivers to do this. This would cause discourse among drivers, something I already think UPS uses to it's advantage. (Such as telling one driver he has more work because I'm on the 9.5 list). I just want the unpaid work to stop. I will repost and let you know how this turns out. Maybe if it is addressed then this can be used by more drivers as an alternative to other actions. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We have a few drivers who live within 5 miles of the HUB and they are 10-30 minutes LATE every day. Nothing ever said. I was late one day by 5 minutes and was pulled into the office about it. I told them to piss off.

Brownslave688

Thanks for the input. So tomorrow I will gather the names of all the center managers, on cars, preload sups, and the center manager(he is stationed in our hub) that I see out in the hub around off-the-clock drivers. I'm going to file a concern online on the UPS helpline website and name all management that is looking the other way. I will mention the $32 million dollar Tyson lawsuit and FLSA. Then I will wait and see if this gets addressed in any of the 3 centers in my building. As for a grievance, this will be my second course of action. I don't want the money and I would have to call out other drivers to do this. This would cause discourse among drivers, something I already think UPS uses to it's advantage. (Such as telling one driver he has more work because I'm on the 9.5 list). I just want the unpaid work to stop. I will repost and let you know how this turns out. Maybe if it is addressed then this can be used by more drivers as an alternative to other actions. Thanks again for your thoughts.
I obviously don't know your center or situation. However I would personally think filing a grievance would go over much better than mentioning lawsuits.

Not that doing what the OP mentions won't work I'm betting he'll be told to follow the chain of progressive action in the correct order.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not that doing what the OP mentions won't work I'm betting he'll be told to follow the chain of progressive action in the correct order.

I called the hotline on an issue involving our former center manager. The center manager did end up losing his job but not as a result of my phone call. Sadly I read in the paper where his beloved BMW is being auctioned off to satisfy a garagemen's lien.