New on road sup salary

oldngray

nowhere special
So we said ... what to do.
Luckily, I could retire and make more than I did actually working (or showing up at my cubicle).

Did you get to keep your stapler?

Office%2BSpace%2BMilton%2BStapler.jpg

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
I remember a day when if you were a really excellent part time supervisor the sort manager would take a deserving candidate aside and say, "Son, you've worked your ass off for many years. I'm going to send you driving for 6 months and then I'm going to have you promoted to an ORS. But, you must never come back! Promise me that you'll run away and never look back. You must turn down the promotion offer! You deserve this and one day when you're in feeder you'll look back and be grateful for my honesty." How I miss the nineteen hundreds...

MassWineGuy

If the position grabs you, go for it. But also make sure you start out with a salary that you feel is good. For the stress and b.s. sups take, $75,000/year isn't unreasonable. UPS certainly has its share of negative aspects, but it's still a pretty good company to work for, especially if you can get into the corporate level.

6k or 7k seems to be realistic. Don't let the drivers get in your head; they must have run out of new posts on the illiterate forum. You may love being an on-car or maybe it's a stepping stone to something else you enjoy more. These guys (useless drivers) are so pissed because their trapped. So they :censored2: all over anyone with any ambition.
I wish you well.......

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
6k or 7k seems to be realistic. Don't let the drivers get in your head; they must have run out of new posts on the illiterate forum. You may love being an on-car or maybe it's a stepping stone to something else you enjoy more. These guys (useless drivers) are so pissed because their trapped. So they :censored2: all over anyone with any ambition.
I wish you well.......
Yeah, I'm trapped. That's why they are begging drivers to go management here. Out of the three that took the offer in the last two years, two have quit the company. I can't think of the last time a driver has voluntary quit.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah, I'm trapped. That's why they are begging drivers to go management here. Out of the three that took the offer in the last two years, two have quit the company. I can't think of the last time a driver has voluntary quit.
Exactly. While trying to work out some stuff I'm still not comfortable talking about on here. I had a center manager say to me. "Now don't laught but have you ever considered managment?" I didn't mean to but me immediate reaction was to laugh.

In his defense he didn't belong in managment. He was too honest of a person which is why r ultimately took another path I assume.

What I mean by trapped is most drivers can not leave UPS and make anywhere near the money they do now. So, they are trapped. While most UPS management that leaves actually end up making more money elsewhere. It's just a fact.
Drivers are at the top of their pay scale for delivery boys and UPS management is about in the middle.

mjjlohn

Drivers always have the option of becoming management. There's no other option(blue collar-wise) because we're paid the most in the industry.

Apples and oranges.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
What I mean by trapped is most drivers can not leave UPS and make anywhere near the money they do now. So, they are trapped. While most UPS management that leaves actually end up making more money elsewhere. It's just a fact.
Drivers are at the top of their pay scale for delivery boys and UPS management is about in the middle.
Trapped? I believe you mean fortunate and gainfully employed. Since when is making great money, doing honest work, being trapped? "Someone help me! I'm trapped making +$100k, in shorts and sunshine. Oh, the humanity!"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Trapped? I believe you mean fortunate and gainfully employed. Since when is making great money, doing honest work, being trapped? "Someone help me! I'm trapped making +$100k, in shorts and sunshine. Oh, the humanity!"

Buster makes a good point. The majority of drivers do not possess the education or skill set to replicate the wage and benefit package that they enjoy here at UPS so, in essence, they couldn't leave even if they wanted to, hence the trapped.

mjjlohn

The point isn't there actually, because most new management are from very same pool of "unskilled" drivers.

He compared a blue collar hourly job to a white collar salary position. The median education level is bound to be higher. Gee, what a revelation. Still doesn't mean drivers are stuck when most of ups's pool of management is drivers/hourlies.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I agree with barnyard. take all the training you can get. take every assignment too for the next couple years. then when your career stalls at UPS, jump ship and become a superstar anywhere else.

every supe I know that quit UPS , got a better job with more advancement opportunities .