New on road sup salary

brownIEman

Buster makes a good point. The majority of drivers do not possess the education or skill set to replicate the wage and benefit package that they enjoy here at UPS so, in essence, they couldn't leave even if they wanted to, hence the trapped.

I understand where you're coming from, and all the drivers who have said this to me over the years. Trapped, however, is just the wrong word to use. I cannot count the number of drivers who have muttered about UPS "Trapping" them in their frustrating job by paying such high wages and benefits. It is absolutely inane. They really believe UPS "Trapped" them by paying them top compensation for their skill set/experience? Yes, UPS pays high wages, and higher than you can get in comparable positions with just about any company - So if you are relying on that to maintain your lifestyle, then it is your lifestyle that has "trapped" you into staying at the job. Seriously, this "golden handcuff" crap that I hear drivers (and some management believe it or not) complain about, is just plain crazy.

Having said all that, I get that 90% of the time when it is said it really is just people venting frustration with what can absolutely be a frustrating job, so I take it in stride, but it is silly.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Still doesn't mean drivers are stuck when most of ups's pool of management is drivers/hourlies.

Wrong wrong and wrong again.

Last three PT sups hired in my building had less then 4 weeks on the sort the last one having 2 weeks SEASONAL time in.

Last three ORS promoted in my building were all pt sups previously with little to no driving experience. There is a fourth in the "pipe line" now. He is a pt sup who is being groomed (sent to MDST, manager skills school etc) to be the next ORS promoted.

Mean while we have a 26 year driver who tried to go into management rather then be medically retired who was told that because he doesn't have a degree he'd did not have the experience to be an ORS by our district bosses.

But wait, then why aren't we hiring the 15 year driver who has a BS degree in bussiness who is in the pool and practically begging for a promotion?

Because we don't want drivers in management!

ManInBrown

What I mean by trapped is most drivers can not leave UPS and make anywhere near the money they do now. So, they are trapped. While most UPS management that leaves actually end up making more money elsewhere. It's just a fact.
Drivers are at the top of their pay scale for delivery boys and UPS management is about in the middle.

Why would we want to leave??

90K a year for delivering Mrs Smith her QVC box every day. Yeah..I'm real good right where I am.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I understand where you're coming from, and all the drivers who have said this to me over the years. Trapped, however, is just the wrong word to use. I cannot count the number of drivers who have muttered about UPS "Trapping" them in their frustrating job by paying such high wages and benefits. It is absolutely inane. They really believe UPS "Trapped" them by paying them top compensation for their skill set/experience? Yes, UPS pays high wages, and higher than you can get in comparable positions with just about any company - So if you are relying on that to maintain your lifestyle, then it is your lifestyle that has "trapped" you into staying at the job. Seriously, this "golden handcuff" crap that I hear drivers (and some management believe it or not) complain about, is just plain crazy.

Having said all that, I get that 90% of the time when it is said it really is just people venting frustration with what can absolutely be a frustrating job, so I take it in stride, but it is silly.
Not trying to argue your opinion, but they do have you trapped by paying us that much money. Where you going to go and make that kind of money without a college degree? Not too many places. Youd be an idiot quitting a job making 80k to 100k a year really. Of course its a frustrating job, and most guys and gals have a right to vent about these shadyasczz mofoes lol. Its a lot more expensive out here to live off a mediocre salary, that's just facts and truth. Spending money and making a lot of money is just a direct correlation of one another. The more you make the more your going to spend or splurge on nicer things, that's a no brainer really. The amount that an individual is going to splurge on themselves is obviously going to be different with every single person. Wouldn't make sense to leave a high paying job once you've been working there and have amassed what you have in benefits, money and pension. Like most they just suck it up, use their commonsense and do what they have to do and make the sacrifices for themselves and for their families, like responsible wives and husbands do. Just remember if your a man and you have a wife and kids, your happiness goes out the door, your family always, always comes first.

rod

Retired 22 years
Did you get to keep your stapler?

Office%2BSpace%2BMilton%2BStapler.jpg

As a matter of fact I have a couple of UPS staplers I still use around the house. I think our center probably held the record of the most staplers used for a small center. We had a driver who for years back in the days of sheeting on paper would staple his cod carbon-copy to his paper records like you used to be required to. If the stapler even once plugged up or malfunctioned he would open the door and toss it across the street into a vacant lot. I couldn't even guess how many staplers ended up there. One evening I had my personal truck parked on the street so I walked into the field and picked me up a couple of staplers and took them home where they haven't misfired once.

andrsnbkj

Thank god I went to a technical college me being trapped not me 8 more years im out doing something different I figure you can work till 65

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thank god I went to a technical college me being trapped not me 8 more years im out doing something different I figure you can work till 65

Try 57 with a $5K/month pension waiting for me on the other end.

You make some valid points----there are many of us who would be unable to even come close to the wage and benefit package that we currently have if they were to seek employment elsewhere. Some are stuck here due to limited education and/or marketable skills. Some of us may have our degrees but have not seen the inside of a classroom in 25 or more years thus making our degrees obsolete. Some of us have created a lifestyle which necessitates that we stay here.

andrsnbkj

Try 57 with a $5K/month pension waiting for me on the other end.

You make some valid points----there are many of us who would be unable to even come close to the wage and benefit package that we currently have if they were to seek employment elsewhere. Some are stuck here due to limited education and/or marketable skills. Some of us may have our degrees but have not seen the inside of a classroom in 25 or more years thus making our degrees obsolete. Some of us have created a lifestyle which necessitates that we stay here.
Also the way this place is they will fire you for anything. I just take it day by day nothing is guaranteed. They college I went to learning a trade/ skill I could be spinning wrenches on the brown trucks