New Policy Phasing PT'ers Out?

MassWineGuy

If they moved me from starting at 3 to 4, that would really crunch even the fewer stops I'd get. Possible lates. Not that I'd see it as my problem.

HedleyLamarr

Same thing happening here. Until now I thought it was our new director who had authorized this; didn't realize it was nationwide.
What's sad is I recently switched routes to one that was busier, but now the Pup count is similar to my old route. My start time has been pushed back 15 minutes.
My manager told me he is trying to completely cut out a route and spread us around a bit more to help make up for our on calls being taken away.
Haven't spoken to an AM driver, but they have to be incredibly annoyed by all the pups they are doing now as well. I am constantly seeing messages from dispatch telling them to get their pups by 1500 and they need to do a better job of keeping track of them.

dezguy

I can understand that. Why not?
Because it doesn't save any money. They're taking one route with one person running that route and making it two routes, needing two people to do the same amount of work. Add to that, they already started this experiment, years ago and all its caused is late pkgs and accidents or injuries. Half the time there isn't a truck available for the pm route, or powerpad, or printer. When they finally do get on road, they feel the need to speed and rush. When you speed and rush, the chances of on road accidents or at work injuries go up.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Because it doesn't save any money. They're taking one route with one person running that route and making it two routes, needing two people to do the same amount of work. Add to that, they already started this experiment, years ago and all its caused is late pkgs and accidents or injuries. Half the time there isn't a truck available for the pm route, or powerpad, or printer. When they finally do get on road, they feel the need to speed and rush. When you speed and rush, the chances of on road accidents or at work injuries go up.
It's funny how they just don't get it. It's not rocket science. We're kind of like oranges being squeezed by a juicer, FedEx. At some point, there won't be any more juice left in an orange. They think if they squeeze harder, more juice will come out. There ain't no more!

dezguy

It's funny how they just don't get it. It's not rocket science. We're kind of like oranges being squeezed by a juicer, FedEx. At some point, there won't be any more juice left in an orange. They think if they squeeze harder, more juice will come out. There ain't no more!
They expect people to work harder to get the job done and, most of the time, it works. Eventually, though, people realize they aren't getting ahead and stop caring whether they make that pup close or whether they're going to make commit on that package.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
They expect people to work harder to get the job done and, most of the time, it works. Eventually, though, people realize they aren't getting ahead and stop caring whether they make that pup close or whether they're going to make commit on that package.
It used to be that FedEx made it worth our while to work harder. We were a part of Fedex's success. As I told a manager once, I have no incentive to do a good job anymore other than my work ethic. These younger people are coming to that realization a lot earlier than dumb old me.

MassWineGuy

I like my manager and trust him generally. So I will believe for the moment that this is a nationwide development.

As for speeding, I'm being very careful not to. If I get a ticket on the road, FedEx won't back me. And if they push me to do more in the same timeframe I can say that to do so I'd have to violate speed limits and risk a safety hazard. There's nothing they could say to that, at least officially. If they say they want me to speed, I will get it in writing.

dezguy

I like my manager and trust him generally. So I will believe for the moment that this is a nationwide development.

As for speeding, I'm being very careful not to. If I get a ticket on the road, FedEx won't back me. And if they push me to do more in the same timeframe I can say that to do so I'd have to violate speed limits and risk a safety hazard. There's nothing they could say to that, at least officially. If they say they want me to speed, I will get it in writing.
Good for you. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who believe they will be disciplined for not getting their work done, despite being set up to fail.

MassWineGuy

It's a matter of laying it on the manager. If I say that I did my absolute best under the conditions (traffic, weather) and couldn't have done better unless I broke the speed limit, I feel fine. What are they going to say? Not much that I would care about.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Whenever we are over dispatched with air, we are told to run straight air and that we will only be disciplined for late air if we deliver any ground during that time.

McFeely

Huge Member
Whenever we are over dispatched with air, we are told to run straight air and that we will only be disciplined for late air if we deliver any ground during that time.

I hear what you're saying, except on a pickup route one typically does not have a choice to skip a pickup on his manifest. Pickup routes with commit time windows ain't the same thing as mixing priority and non-priority deliveries. ALL pickups are a priority.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Turns out there's a new policy being rolled out nationally where day shift drivers will pick up on-calls that are ready early in the day. Eventually, pt hours may shift, be reduced and routes consolidated "to improve efficiency," as my manager explained it. Most full time drivers at my station are hardly reaching 40 hours/week, and often less.

It's called ADOPT and has been in place in this area for a while. Pickups ready by 1400 in AA areas will usually go to the delivery courier in that area.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It's called ADOPT and has been in place in this area for a while. Pickups ready by 1400 in AA areas will usually go to the delivery courier in that area.
It's hilarious that some self important clown needing to justify his job, had to come up with an acronym for am drivers to get early pickups.

!Retired!

I don't think their intentions are they want pt workers to quit. Rather they might be finally realizing that utilizing ft routes to cover pu where they can to increase efficiency. It's about damn time they start trying to emulate UPS as far as efficiency.
Oncalls called in before 1400 go to the AM driver, always has....or at least is supposed to. Even the ones with a 1800, 1900 or 2000 close.They won't let me roll them to the mid-day route, unless the mid-day has the P2 in that area.
It's obvious you don't pay the bills.

As I understand it, FTers are guaranteed 35 hours/week and PTers 17.5, at a much lower rate of pay. Eliminating the PTers and shifting those hours to the FTers would dramatically increase labor costs.

Using your example and round numbers, shifting the 20 hours to the FTer would result in 5 additional hours at $20/hr and 15 hours at $30/hr, resulting in a $550 increase in their weekly gross. Using the PTer for 20 hours at $15/hr would only cost $300. $550-300= $250. $250 * 52 = $13,000.

Your suggestion to eliminate the lower paid option in favor of the higher shows that you really don't have a clue.
FT or PT does not determine how much you make. Years of service do. Also, while your numbers are, in general correct, it's still cheaper to pay someone OT rather than have 2 drivers for the same work. You need to factor in health benefits, workers comp insurance, pension, 401K match, etc etc etc.
When I was PT and switched to FT, I kept the same pay.
Same here....
It's a matter of laying it on the manager. If I say that I did my absolute best under the conditions (traffic, weather) and couldn't have done better unless I broke the speed limit, I feel fine. What are they going to say? Not much that I would care about.
If you do the right thing, you have no worries. If it comes into question, ask them to pull up the gap report and google how much time it takes to go from 1 stop to the next.
Since my P1's aren't in my P2 area, I really don't have a choice. But, once I'm done with P1, I shoot right into P2.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It's hilarious that some self important clown needing to justify his job, had to come up with an acronym for am drivers to get early pickups.

It's like the military, they won't implement it unless it has an acronym.

The program itself isn't bad, though it works better in some situation than in others. A major focus is to give an attitude adjustment to those couriers who have decided that making pickups is beneath them. The overall point is to reduce the instances where a stop is serviced by 2 couriers when it can be adequately serviced by 1.

MassWineGuy

The prospect of losing five hours a week by starting at 4, not 3, bothers me very much. But then as someone said, there's the health plan, 401k, etc. to factor into the mix.

overflowed

It's like the military, they won't implement it unless it has an acronym.

The program itself isn't bad, though it works better in some situation than in others. A major focus is to give an attitude adjustment to those couriers who have decided that making pickups is beneath them. The overall point is to reduce the instances where a stop is serviced by 2 couriers when it can be adequately serviced by 1.
The only couriers I knew that refused oncalls we're the couriers that had the pups taken away from their full time route by way of pt pickup courier. I guess that's beside the point.

overflowed

Form the different stations I've been it has really been different from what the district wants from them. Some don't care about overtime some do. Really seems to boil down in the larger stations to being on a report or something.