New Prime Inc. vs Oliveira SCOTUS 17-340

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Gosh I just thought that being a gentleman and Oxford educated scholar you are you would have compassion and understanding for those of us with lesser intellects which has me and perhaps others wonder why you're conversing on line with the likes of us and not other great minds similar to yourself.
:people_crybaby:

dmac1

You do realize that government revenue is actually up after the tax cut? We don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem.
The deficit is up MORE than revenues, and that could be a one-timer from spending in advance of tariffs. Until we have a balanced budget, there is no real tax cut.

dmac1

Tax cuts don't cause debt. Federal tax revenues are at record highs. Yawn.

Dude... he promised the economy we have now and his predecessor said that it wasn't possible. Your issue is with the guy who said that the current economic growth couldn't be achieved.

If you want rock bottom interest rates and zero inflation, then pray for a stagnant economy, because that's how you get them.
But Trump promised to reduce spending. Since ALL the GDP growth is due to the added debt, it is a 'fake' and isn't a real boom at all. If you get a home equity loan, it doesn't make you wealthier just because you now have more cash. Slow steady growth with deficits going down each year is better long term. The government giving defense contractors billions of dollars that tax payers need to repay benefits no one but defense contractors. Pumping money into the economy under a recession is one thing, pumping money into a slow economy and claiming you fixed it makes one a liar.

bacha29

But Trump promised to reduce spending. Since ALL the GDP growth is due to the added debt, it is a 'fake' and isn't a real boom at all. If you get a home equity loan, it doesn't make you wealthier just because you now have more cash. Slow steady growth with deficits going down each year is better long term. The government giving defense contractors billions of dollars that tax payers need to repay benefits no one but defense contractors. Pumping money into the economy under a recession is one thing, pumping money into a slow economy and claiming you fixed it makes one a liar.
Watch the outflows in the days ahead, the amount of money going out of equities and into fixed income instruments. Likewise, watch the yield spreads between the 5yr and 10yr treasuries in case there's an inversion. These are considered to be reliable indicators of a looming recession.

vantexan

Soundls like YOU have a spending problem.
No, I have a retiree income problem. $22k in Colombia is about the equivalent of $50k in the States. But I just got a warehouse job here so that plus my pension is about $55k a year. More than I ever made at FedEx.

vantexan

Income is up because the economy is growing across the board and more people are working. Spending is up because Trump gave in to Democrats in order to get increased defense spending. One sector does not an economy make. You guys have been saying from the get go that nothing Trump does will matter. Now you're grasping at straws.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Gosh I just thought that being a gentleman and Oxford educated scholar you are you would have compassion and understanding for those of us with lesser intellects which has me and perhaps others wonder why you're conversing on line with the likes of us and not other great minds similar to yourself.

Not a lot of great minds like myself to converse with, so I go slumming with the likes of you.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
If you get a home equity loan, it doesn't make you wealthier just because you now have more cash.
If you take out a mortgage to buy a house, suddenly your debt exceeds your income, but with proper stewardship, your investment will appreciate in value.

Your example is faulty.

dmac1

Income is up because the economy is growing across the board and more people are working. Spending is up because Trump gave in to Democrats in order to get increased defense spending. One sector does not an economy make. You guys have been saying from the get go that nothing Trump does will matter. Now you're grasping at straws.
And inflation is up. When the taxes become due because interest rates cause a bigger outlay for the debt, the fake economy will reverse any gains you think you have gotten under Trump. Deficit spending, greater than EVER, during a time of growth is just completely stupid for long term economic health. Apparently, you look short term, with blinders on because of your love of all things Trump.

dmac1

If you take out a mortgage to buy a house, suddenly your debt exceeds your income, but with proper stewardship, your investment will appreciate in value.

Your example is faulty.
You insist on only looking at what you like. The same home today with a mortgage is going to cost you about 25% more per month than it did just two years ago. No one buying what used to be a $200k home has gotten a 25% raise because of Trump,yet interest rates have gone from below 4% to almost 5% for the same credit situation. That 1% increase is 25%, and means $200 a month more for the same home that now is about 10% higher cost. Then add in inflation on everything else one needs to live, including almost 50% more for gas, and your 2% raise/tax 'cut' is gone based on a $50k income.

dmac1

No he didn't.

One of us flunked econ and it wasn't me.

Do you even know who you voted for?!?!?!?!?!?!??????

"Mr. Trump came into office last year promising to bring a businessman’s approach to the federal budget, proposing $54 billion in cuts.."
Donald Trump falls short on budget-cutting promises

Either you are lying or were completely ignorant that Trump promised spending cuts and then increased both spending AND the deficit.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You insist on only looking at what you like. The same home today with a mortgage is going to cost you about 25% more per month than it did just two years ago. No one buying what used to be a $200k home has gotten a 25% raise because of Trump,yet interest rates have gone from below 4% to almost 5% for the same credit situation. That 1% increase is 25%, and means $200 a month more for the same home that now is about 10% higher cost. Then add in inflation on everything else one needs to live, including almost 50% more for gas, and your 2% raise/tax 'cut' is gone based on a $50k income.
And you can continue to compare apples to coconuts.

vantexan

And inflation is up. When the taxes become due because interest rates cause a bigger outlay for the debt, the fake economy will reverse any gains you think you have gotten under Trump. Deficit spending, greater than EVER, during a time of growth is just completely stupid for long term economic health. Apparently, you look short term, with blinders on because of your love of all things Trump.
Obama had trillion dollar deficits so not the most ever under Trump. And we are spending like we are because Dems demanded it in exchange for Trump getting his defense spending. So take it up with them.

dmac1

Obama had trillion dollar deficits so not the most ever under Trump. And we are spending like we are because Dems demanded it in exchange for Trump getting his defense spending. So take it up with them.

Wow!!!!!!! You seem completely unaware.

Obama inherited the worst recession since the depression, and reduced the deficit by half in a slow economy. Trump is already at $863 billion in deficit this year, and will be over $1 trillion in what is supposed to be a good economy, according to you. That unemployment is down doesn't mean much when it is solely due to deferring taxes for people like you, who will need to pay those taxes eventually. The deficit is growing even with increased revenue. There has NEVER been such a deficit in a time of growth as we have now. NEVER.

The republicans control both the house and the senate, and Trump knew when he promised cuts what he would face, yet made the promise anyway. Same thing with the wall, and the same with 'biggest, bestest, cheapest' healthcare that you believed. Either you believed him, or you knew he was a liar. You can't have it both ways.

You didn't get a tax cut, you didn't get a wall, you didn't get better, cheaper health care, you instead got higher inflation, higher interest rates, a larger trade deficit, an increasing deficit, trade wars, tariffs, and your dear leader is a joke, openly laughed at for his ignorance by world leaders, both democraticly elected, and by autocrats and dictators.

All you got was more people working, and two far right supreme court justices that will decide with corporate interests and the elite in every case that comes before them.

vantexan

Wow!!!!!!! You seem completely unaware.

Obama inherited the worst recession since the depression, and reduced the deficit by half in a slow economy. Trump is already at $863 billion in deficit this year, and will be over $1 trillion in what is supposed to be a good economy, according to you. That unemployment is down doesn't mean much when it is solely due to deferring taxes for people like you, who will need to pay those taxes eventually. The deficit is growing even with increased revenue. There has NEVER been such a deficit in a time of growth as we have now. NEVER.

The republicans control both the house and the senate, and Trump knew when he promised cuts what he would face, yet made the promise anyway. Same thing with the wall, and the same with 'biggest, bestest, cheapest' healthcare that you believed. Either you believed him, or you knew he was a liar. You can't have it both ways.

You didn't get a tax cut, you didn't get a wall, you didn't get better, cheaper health care, you instead got higher inflation, higher interest rates, a larger trade deficit, an increasing deficit, trade wars, tariffs, and your dear leader is a joke, openly laughed at for his ignorance by world leaders, both democraticly elected, and by autocrats and dictators.

All you got was more people working, and two far right supreme court justices that will decide with corporate interests and the elite in every case that comes before them.
And you are definitely unaware. Trump couldn't get a budget passed with many of the Republicans, who are actually trying to reduce the deficit. So in order to get enough votes he had to turn to the Democrats. They were willing to give Trump what he wanted on defense if he gave them the spending they wanted. So the deficit is a bipartisan effort. You guys said cutting taxes would drastically cut revenue. Republicans were saying the resulting economic activity would actually increase revenue. Y'all called BS. Well guess who was right? Hint: not you. And we all got a benefit from the tax cut. The resulting economic activity has made it possible for people to find jobs. Trump could cure cancer and you'd be critical. And only your side laughs at Trump. Even the "never Trump" Republicans are singing his praises now. And he's infinitely better for the country than your dear leader was. The jury is still out on the wall, but Trump has already fulfilled many campaign promises and America, dare I say it, is great again. I hope people got a real good look at the rabid demagoguery on display by the Dems recently. If that's our future the country is doomed.

59 Dano

Do you even know who you voted for?!?!?!?!?!?!??????

"Mr. Trump came into office last year promising to bring a businessman’s approach to the federal budget, proposing $54 billion in cuts.."
Donald Trump falls short on budget-cutting promises

Either you are lying or were completely ignorant that Trump promised spending cuts and then increased both spending AND the deficit.

I went to a site that tracked his campaign promises and they didn't have it listed.

59 Dano

And inflation is up. When the taxes become due because interest rates cause a bigger outlay for the debt, the fake economy will reverse any gains you think you have gotten under Trump.

You're approaching bacha levels of ignorance with this stuff.

Deficit spending, greater than EVER, during a time of growth is just completely stupid for long term economic health. .

It's no dumber now than it is in a recession. No smarter, either.