Fedex Wins? REALLY?

FedExer267

Its coming I know there are alot of guys in my building that will be leaving after the 1st, companies are hiring again. I recently had a 2nd interview myself and hopefully will be getting a call real soon.
The funny thing is FedEx wants professional drivers for Ground with Experience. They want Express Quality drivers. What professional driver would work for a flat rate with no benefits and no OT? It will be funny to see how they handle this. There are contractors running around now trying to steal drivers from other Contractors which if your a driver and someone offers a little more your going to jump. I am personally waiting for the fights to start.

One buddy of mine will be out next week he has worked for this Contractor for 5 years he makes 600 a week and works 70 hours. Hourly rate 8.57 a hour never had a raise. Thats pretty sad when you make as much as preload oh wait a minute they are employees and get benefits.
Thats a big slap in the face to alot of us the new benefit program for Their part time employees who cant load a truck to save their lives. Its just one of those deals where FedEx makes billions and they crap on the employee/ non-employee who does the work.

Almost all of us see it for what it is.

fdx

i hope not for your sake but they take everything to the bitter end why not this just delay paying you
thats thier m.o. delay delay delay if your a ground guy and had a truck over 10 000 pds your not getting overtime because you fall under the interstate commerce laws but a hd guy under 10000
pds will get ot this whole thing is ridiculous and fedex knew from day 1 how to scam the system
the isp model will get shot down in court in about 5 years when fedex has made billions more
but good luck hope everybody gets what they rightly got coming

bbsam

Staff member
And the reason the ISP model will not get shot down is because it will always evolve to stay within the limits set forth by the court. Furthermore, ISP's like myself are going to be making very, very, good money and negotiating with the company every 3 to 5 years. Now 267, if you are as good as you say you are (and I don't doubt that you are) perhaps you should grow a set and tell Fedex and your contractor "no" the next time they try to give you 30 more stops. If you are that good, your contractor is not going to want to lose you. At the very least, an extra 30 stops ought to be worth an extra $40 to $50 a day easily. If your contractor is an idiot and let's you walk, should be many others in the building eager to pick you up.

FedExer267

Thats what the labor board said too if you drive a semi over 10,000 pounds no overtime. However those of us who drive package cars should be entitled to OT. There are alot of HD guys that get 500 a week but are expected to work 70 hours thats under minium wage. You see ads for this all the time on craigslist.

bbsam

Staff member
Thats what the labor board said too if you drive a semi over 10,000 pounds no overtime. However those of us who drive package cars should be entitled to OT. There are alot of HD guys that get 500 a week but are expected to work 70 hours thats under minium wage. You see ads for this all the time on craigslist.
Over 10,000 pounds? Very few package vans are less than 10,000 pounds so how should you be entitled to OT?

FedExer267

And the reason the ISP model will not get shot down is because it will always evolve to stay within the limits set forth by the court. Furthermore, ISP's like myself are going to be making very, very, good money and negotiating with the company every 3 to 5 years. Now 267, if you are as good as you say you are (and I don't doubt that you are) perhaps you should grow a set and tell Fedex and your contractor "no" the next time they try to give you 30 more stops. If you are that good, your contractor is not going to want to lose you. At the very least, an extra 30 stops ought to be worth an extra $40 to $50 a day easily. If your contractor is an idiot and let's you walk, should be many others in the building eager to pick you up.

Funny you bring that up bbsam. I told my Contractor extra work equals extra money because now I will have to pay overtime to my daycare provider. His response was I worked for the union to long. I went out busted my butt did what I could because at the end of the day I need to get home to my kids.

fdx

the over 10000 pd rule goes for the ground trucks also does not have to be a semi only argument there is fedex told you what truck to buy hope that flies in court but doubtful notice how fedex has put a lot of hd guys in bigger trucks? there is a method to the madness isp model your still an employee no ifs ands or buts

FedExer267

Over 10,000 pounds? Very few package vans are less than 10,000 pounds so how should you be entitled to OT?
Its semi trucks that you need a class A to drive 2 or more axels yada yada yada. If your driving a UPS type vehicle and have no special license required to drive then you are entitled to OT. Especially in a OT state that was their words.

bbsam

Staff member
the over 10000 pd rule goes for the ground trucks also does not have to be a semi only argument there is fedex told you what truck to buy hope that flies in court but doubtful notice how fedex has put a lot of hd guys in bigger trucks? there is a method to the madness isp model your still an employee no ifs ands or buts
An employee because you say so? No matter what the courts say? My how big your britches are! Forget court challenges! fdx has spoken!:happy-very: (Yes, I mock you, but only in the most light-hearted spirit.)

FedExer267

Thats intresting fdx they told me if you have no special license just a class c you are entitled to OT. They also said it wasnt the weight of the vehicle but the weight of the freight.They basically said we are UPS drivers just in a diffrent color truck.

bbsam

Staff member
Its semi trucks that you need a class A to drive 2 or more axels yada yada yada. If your driving a UPS type vehicle and have no special license required to drive then you are entitled to OT. Especially in a OT state that was their words.
Must be state by state. In Illinois, a class C is required (16,000 up to 25,999 I believe).

bbsam

Staff member
Thats intresting fdx they told me if you have no special license just a class c you are entitled to OT. They also said it wasnt the weight of the vehicle but the weight of the freight.They basically said we are UPS drivers just in a diffrent color truck.
Why is a class C not a special liscense? That's like saying a class M (motorcycle) is not a special liscense.

bbsam

Staff member
I believe it's the liscensed weight of the vehicle.

FedExer267

An employee because you say so? No matter what the courts say? My how big your britches are! Forget court challenges! fdx has spoken!:happy-very: (Yes, I mock you, but only in the most light-hearted spirit.)

So let me ask you bbsam if your employee comes to you and says FedEx is calling the shots with them do you step in and say talk to me or do you cave in to them because they hold contracts over your head and run with your tail between your legs like most contractors. I see it everyday.
How do you get around this?

fdx

first off uh sam just telling you what the lawyers who handled this multi district lawsuit told me
isp is a scam later i found out from my state labor dept that it wont fly 267 same labor dept told me any thing over 10000 pds no ot you are considered a interstate trucker because the package came from new york and ended up in florida just say even though you didnt drive over a state line your part of the chain now a hd guy driving a sprinter lets say is entitled to ot ridiculous yes
but the law according to people that are in a position to say so im just telling you guys what was told to me investigate yourselves i drive like you guys

bbsam

Staff member
So let me ask you bbsam if your employee comes to you and says FedEx is calling the shots with them do you step in and say talk to me or do you cave in to them because they hold contracts over your head and run with your tail between your legs like most contractors. I see it everyday.
How do you get around this?
No, contracts are not easily voided. What I tell management is that if my driver quits because of something management does, they will be covering that route until a replacement is found. Most of the time, management comes to me first anyway because they know that I know the contract. I have no problem whatsoever telling management "no". I also have no problem telling management not to call me with stupid questions that I can't answer without access to their computer. Nor do I have a problem throwing in their face exactly what the contract says and exactly where it says it since they are happy to do the same. Remember. Whatever local management says about a contract, it has to go through Pittsburgh's legal department. Local management is nothing more than nutless "yes men" kissing regional tail.

FedExer267

Are you on the Ground side as well? Just wondering if you are and do you have the issues of FedEx trying to control you as well even though you dont work for them.

bbsam

Staff member
first off uh sam just telling you what the lawyers who handled this multi district lawsuit told me
isp is a scam later i found out from my state labor dept that it wont fly 267 same labor dept told me any thing over 10000 pds no ot you are considered a interstate trucker because the package came from new york and ended up in florida just say even though you didnt drive over a state line your part of the chain now a hd guy driving a sprinter lets say is entitled to ot ridiculous yes
but the law according to people that are in a position to say so im just telling you guys what was told to me investigate yourselves i drive like you guys
But the lawyers who handled the multi district lawsuit lost. Of course they said the ISP is a scam. But the judge disagreed.

fdx

sam if you are happy doin it more power to you but contracts not easily voided? cmon unless your in some sort of vortex in fedexland these guys will cut off your nuts just because they dont like you saw it happen 10 times in three years to good contractors who did the job