New production mark in your area?

brownelf

Was told by center manager that IE is working on a new 9.1hr goal per day/per car instead of the 156 stops per car average in this area. I work in an urban area that has many commercial routes (myself being one of them) and to make that average, many of us worked a record amount of hours last year while the region self destructed as far as safety (ie accidents/injuries) was concerned. Anyone else heard about this? As contract talks near, how many other things that the company has been beating us down with the last few years will be eased back on as far as discipline goes? Guess it's time again for the let's be friends/ and a team again till the contract is ratified game. You in?

UPSGUY72

Was told by center manager that IE is working on a new 9.1hr goal per day/per car instead of the 156 stops per car average in this area. I work in an urban area that has many commercial routes (myself being one of them) and to make that average, many of us worked a record amount of hours last year while the region self destructed as far as safety (ie accidents/injuries) was concerned. Anyone else heard about this? As contract talks near, how many other things that the company has been beating us down with the last few years will be eased back on as far as discipline goes? Guess it's time again for the let's be friends/ and a team again till the contract is ratified game. You in?

Our center manager told us that the routes around business would be getting dispatched at 8.9hr and so they can speed a little more time trying to grow the business and the routes with mostly house calls would be dispatched at 9.1hr. It seems to be working I been running splits where last year I would 175 stops and this week I had any where from 149 to 166.

brownelf

I'm hoping they'll need to build my old resi route again on a daily basis because of this and it will be put up for bid. It would be nice to get back on the route I'd spent the last 10yrs doing and planned to retire on, was forced to take a different route last year because it was being broken up so often. The one I have now is a **** buster and my biggest fear is getting injured just prior to retirement due to the weight I'm moving on a daily basis now.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I'm hoping they'll need to build my old resi route again on a daily basis because of this and it will be put up for bid. It would be nice to get back on the route I'd spent the last 10yrs doing and planned to retire on, was forced to take a different route last year because it was being broken up so often. The one I have now is a **** buster and my biggest fear is getting injured just prior to retirement due to the weight I'm moving on a daily basis now.

This happened to me as well. I was forced to become a fill-in driver for most of the year because my route was cut all the time.
Do you think maybe that UPS is started to realize just how much money they are paying out in over time now that is nearly $50 hour?

UPSGUY72

This happened to me as well. I was forced to become a fill-in driver for most of the year because my route was cut all the time.
Do you think maybe that UPS is started to realize just how much money they are paying out in over time now that is nearly $50 hour?

If you cut and 8 hr route and diveded it up among four other drivers. It only cheaper to keep the route on if the other four driver work 2 hour more apiece which is not going to happen if if they each only work 1 1/2 more because of the added work the company is saving money.

brownelf

add that the to the increased accident/injury rate and apparently it has someones attention now. Putting big trucks (10&12 cubes) in tight unfamiliar residental areas at nite hasn't worked out real well around here, we've had lots of tier1 accidents (lawn damage/tree limbs/mirrors ect) that wouldn't have happened if the 5 and 7 cubes were still delivering them from the resi routes that got cut.

Re-Raise

Same thing happening here. Management says the focus is going away from Stops per Car and is shifting to a target dispatch. It is about damn time. In a rural center the Stops per Car metric made no sense at all.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Next year the focus may shift to how many steps the driver takes in a day. The people in the office have to have something to measure to justify their positions.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
If you cut and 8 hr route and diveded it up among four other drivers. It only cheaper to keep the route on if the other four driver work 2 hour more apiece which is not going to happen if if they each only work 1 1/2 more because of the added work the company is saving money.

That extra 1 1/2 hr is overtime $45 an hour. X 4 is $270 roughly. If the route had stayed in..... 8 hrs @ $30 it is $240

UPSGUY72

That extra 1 1/2 hr is overtime $45 an hour. X 4 is $270 roughly. If the route had stayed in..... 8 hrs @ $30 it is $240

your math is wrong.

4 drivers 2 OT each $31.31 * 1.5 * 8 = $375.72
4 drivers 1.5 OT each $31.31 * 1.5 * 6 = $281.79

1 driver 8hrs $31.31 * 8 = $250.48 + benefits and cost associated with another car on the road.

over9five

Staff member
Yup, I was thinking that half way thru your post!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We are about to experience the "summer of love" while the company tries to get a new contract ratified.

The hammer will fall the moment the ink on the new deal is dry and it will be back to business as usual.

We are about to experience the "summer of love" while the company tries to get a new contract ratified.

The hammer will fall the moment the ink on the new deal is dry and it will be back to business as usual.
This is why we all need to send a message and vote no and make sure all of your co workers know to vote no. It's one of the only voices we have left. Even if it's the greatest contract ever still vote no every man and woman has a breaking point. And I'm pretty sure it's broken

This is why we all need to send a message and vote no and make sure all of your co workers know to vote no. It's one of the only voices we have left. Even if it's the greatest contract ever still vote no every man and woman has a breaking point. And I'm pretty sure it's broken

I bend,I don't break! My 1000 is pretty much packed front to back,top to bottom day in and day out...145-160 stops a day...and even days I must return to bldg to get bulk that wouldnt fit. I don't care anymore...got tired of fighting the system. Pay me instead. Grossed over $9200 my first 5 weeks. I agree,we should unite and send a message to the company..but the contract is only worth the paper it's printed on. It is violated on a daily basis and unless we file grievances consistently,nothing changes. In the meanwhile,my new approach the past 2 years is to thank UPS for continually paying me for the insane amount of overtime. I will continue to work as safely as possible,with no regard for their fictitious numbers. I'm pacing myself,not for today or tomorrow,but for the next 10 years.
As for the person who insists we should be disciplined using telematics and for production..I've got two words for you.....and they're not Happy Birthday.......

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ours has been set at 8.9 avg. But that is their number. It takes 9.8 or 10 to do it. I missed 7 weeks of work unpaid, and I made what I made last yr.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As for the person who insists we should be disciplined using telematics and for production..I've got two words for you.....and they're not Happy Birthday.......

I never said we should be disciplined--I said we should expect the company to discuss using telematics for discipline and production standards during these contract negotiations.

As for the two words I am quite certain you would not say them if we were standing face to face. Dave.

As for the two words I am quite certain you would not say them if we were standing face to face. Dave.

Anytime,anywhere. In fact,I'm begging you to give me that opportunity.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Anytime,anywhere. In fact,I'm begging you to give me that opportunity.....

OK....when you get to Albany (NY) go north on I-87 for 153 miles. Get off at Exit 37 and turn left on to Rte. 3. Take that for about 2 miles until you reach the intersection with Banker Rd. Turn right--UPS is on the right side about 1/2 mile down the road. Ask for Dave.

You should keep in mind that your Internet cajones will not help you in the real world. Dave.

packageguy

Remember one thing,, for them to pay it, they are
making it. I love it, making money is a beautiful thing.