New propane cars

brown bomber

brown bomber
hopefully this doesn't morph into the stratified charge engines of the past,..I drove one of them for about 6 mos.,...It was unsafe and unreliable,...you would stand on the accelerator in order to merge on an uphill ramp,..and the RPM would just cut out...good luck hopefully they've figured out this "green thing "

wayfair

swollen member
The LNG tractors at our place are supposed to be baddass.. 10 liter motor.. but when they break down, they gotta be sent off site for warranty work

The PC I drive I have had since it was brand new, 2009 CNG... I miss my 8.1 liter big block v-8

oldngray

nowhere special
hopefully this doesn't morph into the stratified charge engines of the past,..I drove one of them for about 6 mos.,...It was unsafe and unreliable,...you would stand on the accelerator in order to merge on an uphill ramp,..and the RPM would just cut out...good luck hopefully they've figured out this "green thing "

I remember when those stratified charge engines were supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Of course UPS tried to keep things quiet about how bad they were and they quietly went away with no official explanations why.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We had a few stratified cars. One was a split car so I had it often. The shop phone number was posted in big numbers above the visor. Funny thing, it never broke down, for me anyway. Loud as loud can be, that thing was.

S

selfcancelsignal

I'm guessin' it'll be several more years before our center sees any of these. We tend to get hand me downs too. What does it take for a center to get authorization to add these new PC's?

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

JL 0513

We have no alternative fuel PC's in my area. We have plenty of 1980's PC's though. Gotta love 7-8 MPG. I don't even know where you can refuel propane or LG trucks here in New England.

rod

Retired 22 years
Propane got to $6.50 a gallon around here last winter because of what they said was a combination of a bad distribution system and the fact that most of it was going to make ethanol. Big time shortage. When you could get it you were limited to 100 gallons max.

wayfair

swollen member
Propane got to $6.50 a gallon around here last winter because of what they said was a combination of a bad distribution system and the fact that most of it was going to make ethanol. Big time shortage. When you could get it you were limited to 100 gallons max.
Do you have a wood burning central heating system?

rod

Retired 22 years
Do you have a wood burning central heating system?

If I could get the wife to cut, split and stack wood I would have a wood stove (outside burner) because I have all the wood on my property I could use. But since she don't want to-- I heat my house with electric (dual fuel system so its half price) and use propane just for a back up. I do heat my shop with propane but it is so well insulated that I only use about 250 gallons a winter there. If I was younger I probably would burn wood but I'm too friggin lazy now.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Paid $1.88/gal to put 300 gallons in my propane tank in July. Price was sweet!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I guess we get all of your old junkers sent to my building since you get new trucks
I don't know about PC's, but the tractors have to be rendered inoperable. They are then wreckered off somewhere, go thru an inspection by the govt, then they release one of the new LPGs. The govt is using some kind of grant money to lower diesel use and pollution, and paying for a % of the fleet.

Bottom rung

Pipeline broke. Still need to make ethanol otherwise all those poor farmers will go broke. So some people just froze. The price wasn't even the problem, you couldn't get the stuff at all up here. They were hauling it from Texas.

rod

Retired 22 years
Paid $1.88/gal to put 300 gallons in my propane tank in July. Price was sweet!

I bought 500 gals @ $2.05 a gallon on the pre-pay plan last month. That's the minimum they let you buy . For the most part I'm happy with that price. It would have been 8 cents a gal. cheaper if I bought 1000 gal+. One thing I learned about propane years ago---you can always find someone who got it cheaper than you. Should be enough to get me through a couple of winters. The township I work for heats their town hall with propane but because they are a government unit they get it for like 65 cents a gallon. I haven't figured that one out yet. Farmers get it dirt cheap also. Apparently drying their frikkin corn that for the most part is sent to countries that hate us or to ethanol plants that are already HEAVILY subsidized is more important than keeping old rods butt from freezing in the winter.

Last edited:

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
You would think UPS would do this in Phoenix since there is a Ferrellgas right next to the building. That's logistics I guess.