New seasonal employee wants to file grievances

Hello,

Question: I am a newer Steward and I have a seasonal employee who was hired November 15th. He has stated that he came in to help work for other shifts in the hub, after standing around for a couple of hours, he was sent home. He stated this happend a couple of times and was never paid for the time. He cannot file a grievance since he technically isnt part of the union correct?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Hello,

Question: I am a newer Steward and I have a seasonal employee who was hired November 15th. He has stated that he came in to help work for other shifts in the hub, after standing around for a couple of hours, he was sent home. He stated this happend a couple of times and was never paid for the time. He cannot file a grievance since he technically isnt part of the union correct?

Seasonal employees have no contractual rights.... other than the rate of pay.

If he want's to file a grievance, let him.

Congratulations, on becoming a Steward.

542thruNthru

You should never tell someone they can't file or don't have a grievance. It opens your local up to lawsuits. File the grievance and let your BA handle it or give him your locals # to speak with your BA.

542thruNthru

Seasonal employees have no contractual rights.... other than the rate of pay.

If he want's to file a grievance, let him.

Congratulations, on becoming a Steward.

In some supplements I've see rights for seasonal helpers that were more then just pay rates. I know Nor Cal has some language and I believe westernPA also.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What guarantee. Some areas don't have one for seasonals.

How would you feel if you were told to come in to work, stood around for a few hours and were then told to go home? You'd be pissed to.

It shouldn't matter what your status is-----if you are scheduled to work and show up it should not be your fault if you are not put to work.