New sick days policy?

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
If anyone ever gets written up for calling out sick (warning letter) they should not settle for anything less than the letter getting dismissed at the grievance proceeding. If it can't be resolved right then and there your business agent should just take it to the panel. The company won't win at the panel.

heyyou1

Hey, thanks, I do give advice when they ask. Over the last few years the employees say they don't want to do anything about what management gets by with and so few ask anymore about the rigths they do have. I have been reading BC now for a number of months and it does give go adive. I cracked my glasses today after I found them so keep checking behind me. I have even went as far as standing outside in the parking lot and telling the employees who I'm. they will tell you something that has gone but they have gotten to the point they will not stand up.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We get 5 personal and 5 sick days. Personal days we can use independantly or as 1 week. The 5 sick days are just that, sick days. We have not been threatened with discipline for calling in sick. We can request unpaid days off.

brownboxman

Western Conference here, we get 4 hrs of sick leave accu. per month, 4 optional holidays, and we can use 1 day out of our sick bank as a day off every year. Or at vacation selection can use 4 opt and 1 sick bank day for 1 more scheduled vacationweek off. I guess I didn't realize the big difference in this across the country.

TheKid

Wow I never realized that different locals had "so very" different policies. We get 5 sick days, 3 optional holidays, and I get 5 weeks vacation. I really find it hard to believe that if you are a good employee and call in sick that the warning letter would hold up. I mean...I have a really, really, really good attendence record but everyone gets sick.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Well I called in sick last week and so far no warning letter, I'm sure they are just bluffing.

They always bluff and make up stuff. The next time you get sick and they give you a hard time go in and cough on your sup. LOL
Maybe just maybe the 1100 management cuts will get some of the silly e-mailers who come up with this stuff.
In any case no one should deny you a single sick day and rule of thumb says "if its more than one you get a doctors note" . They cannot argue with that.

8up

mgmt can issue a warning ltr for anything, anytime. you can contest it, you may get it removed or reduced. sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. a previous labor mgr told me "i only have to win once, you have to win everytime." i have worked with folks who ran amouk with the sick/option days. they no longer work with us anymore. if you're sick, your sick. if you're sick of working, quit. absenteeism affects those of us who do show up for work. if you don't use your days you get them paid off at the end of the year. there is no shame in that, take the money, i don't know anyone that can't find a use for that.

wfwillia

Sorry for bumping an old post, but damn if this doesn't upset me. I was out running errands today, and I passed out 3 times at a car shop. The 3rd time, the lady who helped me said I had a short seizure. I don't remember a thing. I'm pretty sure it was from a lack of sleep, food, and the heat outside. I feel much better now, but my full time sup says I'm getting written up even when I bring a doctors note in tomorrow. I've been there almost 5 months with perfect attendance and no tardies, and I understand I have no sick days or personal days. But is there anything I can do? Getting written up for having a seizure really sucks. I've never passed out a day in my life, let alone had a seizure.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you go in tomorrow and your sup does write you up get with your shop steward and see if he can get rid of the write up. From what you have told us you have a valid excuse.

trickpony1

You didn't have a seizure. You "passed out" from an electrolyte imbalance cause by the heat and lack of hydration.
I would be very careful about using the word "seizure". The lady that helped you is not an MD or a Neurologist.
We have some simple minded, impressionable people within our company who, unfortunately, because they are in a position of authority will take the world "seizure" and run with it, making life miserable for you.
Dont ask me how I know but I did watch this happen to another person (PC driver).

KingofBrown

Every time you get a write up, management should get a grievance. You should be very careful with write UPS, they keep those on your record, and they can influence in the future if other type of problems arise. Grieve it; grieve that write up. If you have a doctor's excuse, I see you got a very strong official document, use it. You won't only get sick 40 to 50 hours a year, or when your sup wants to. Or just because you used all your sick days that doesn't mean your immune to any health problems. Here's a site, I think it can help in some way. http://www.ueunion.org/stwd_jstcause.html

Sorry for bumping an old post, but damn if this doesn't upset me. I was out running errands today, and I passed out 3 times at a car shop. The 3rd time, the lady who helped me said I had a short seizure. I don't remember a thing. I'm pretty sure it was from a lack of sleep, food, and the heat outside. I feel much better now, but my full time sup says I'm getting written up even when I bring a doctors note in tomorrow. I've been there almost 5 months with perfect attendance and no tardies, and I understand I have no sick days or personal days. But is there anything I can do? Getting written up for having a seizure really sucks. I've never passed out a day in my life, let alone had a seizure.

Have the steward there for any perceived disciplinary action. Trick is correct especially if you have any thoughts about driving someday.

wfwillia

I understand, and thanks guys. I felt like crap after he told me I was getting written up. All I could think about was what kind of company/person am I working for. They really dont care. This makes me feel better. Glad I joined the union even though I don't make much as it is. Thanks again.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I understand, and thanks guys. I felt like crap after he told me I was getting written up. All I could think about was what kind of company/person am I working for. They really dont care. This makes me feel better. Glad I joined the union even though I don't make much as it is. Thanks again.

In my opinion the number of sick days a person has should not be the measure. A new person is supposed to never get sick because they have no days alloted, but a more senior person can be sick because he has days. It really doesn't make good sense.

22.34life

mgmt can issue a warning ltr for anything, anytime. you can contest it, you may get it removed or reduced. sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. a previous labor mgr told me "i only have to win once, you have to win everytime." i have worked with folks who ran amouk with the sick/option days. they no longer work with us anymore. if you're sick, your sick. if you're sick of working, quit. absenteeism affects those of us who do show up for work. if you don't use your days you get them paid off at the end of the year. there is no shame in that, take the money, i don't know anyone that can't find a use for that.

I dissagree,in se texas we have to convert our option week into sick days in order to get them.So you lose that week of vacation for the sick days so in my opinion i want my paid days off they are mine to use as i see fit.ups has got to be one of the only companys i know of where you dont build sick time,thats crazy.I wish we could break our vacation into days too,that would be cool,ups is also one of the only companys that does not do this as well.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Intriguing thread. I have the urge to call out today. It's been probably a good 2 years now since the last time I did. I miss the feeling of worthlessness that they instill in you when you call up. :happy2:

pissedoffmanager

One option you have is to check your state labor laws. Some states have written into their labor laws a law which states that you cannot be fired or disciplined for absences when you have a verifiable Doctor's excuse!