New Social Security bill

oldngray

nowhere special
What are you babbling about? It is a forced retirement account, that gets a lousy ROI. My comment was in regards to it being a handout, which it is not. Stay with the line of thought.

It would be OK if it was just for retirement but a lot of the money goes to disabilities instead.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
What are you babbling about? It is a forced retirement account, that gets a lousy ROI. My comment was in regards to it being a handout, which it is not. Stay with the line of thought.
votes-for-republican-candidates-against-social-welfare-programs-gets-a-social-security-check.jpg

newfie

I suspect it was always the same. Low.

I'm gonna recruit a few others I know and see if we can bring up the curve a bit more. There's nowhere to go but up, so it surely can't hurt matters.

nice job , you've got posters here from both sides of the political spectrum laughing at you. that's hard to do.

bacha29

It's pretty unlikely that any blue collar class worker would be able to build a portfolio large enough to create an income stream large enough to support them without the need to chew into the principal rather early on. Now some of you appear to be counting on your attractive UPS pensions but all you need to do is to look at what happened to pensions when the airlines filed for bankruptcy. The pension plans were tossed over to the PBGC which only pays 60% of the monthly benefit the pans they had to take over promised to pay. . The resulting load placed onto the PBGC was so heavy that it's solvency was very much in doubt. Yes, the return on dollars payed to SS is low but it's still backed by the full faith and credit of the US government. Not the case with private pension plans some of which are badly underfunded. And yes the loser in the game are those who don't live long. But then again when you're dead you're dead for a long time so what does a few years either way matter?
Given how close we came to a complete collapse of the US economy and banking system any talk of privatizing SS today exists only on the tongues zealots and extremists.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The cost of living in the States is high enough that many workers have no choice but to live paycheck to paycheck. Highly doubtful that they'd take their extra 6.2% and invest it because they need it now.
You're projecting.

Some people are always going to make bad financial decisions like spending every dollar they make.

I am okay with a government program to keep them above the poverty line when they become disabled. Otherwise, go to work.

vantexan

You're projecting.

Some people are always going to make bad financial decisions like spending every dollar they make.

I am okay with a government program to keep them above the poverty line when they become disabled. Otherwise, go to work.
You see, you live in a well paid bubble. Tens of millions don't and they're faced with hard choices every day to take care of their families. If you gave them the 6.2% most would likely spend it on what they need now.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You see, you live in a well paid bubble. Tens of millions don't and they're faced with hard choices every day to take care of their families. If you gave them the 6.2% most would likely spend it on what they need now.
About 99% of UPS drivers would do the same thing.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm totally against able bodied people living off the government with free money. I'm totally for contributing from my paycheck, matched by my employer, towards the day when I'm too old to work, or disabled and can't work, or for children who are orphaned.

So why aren’t you working?

vantexan

So why aren’t you working?
Lost half my toenails recently. Diabetes after 22 years starts taking it's toll. Very hard on my feet, which hurt all the time. Was starting to have this issue my last year at FedEx. That and out of control blood sugar. My body no longer produces insulin. Serious enough that I was being closely monitored by agency that watches these things until FedEx made my route non-DOT. Could possibly have stroke while driving. But no, am not applying for disability. Instead I'm here fasting, eating one meal every other day in hopes of reversing the diabetes. Sometimes eat a meal every day, but in the last 19 days have only had 13 meals. You asked.

El Correcto

god is dead
Lost half my toenails recently. Diabetes after 22 years starts taking it's toll. Very hard on my feet, which hurt all the time. Was starting to have this issue my last year at FedEx. That and out of control blood sugar. My body no longer produces insulin. Serious enough that I was being closely monitored by agency that watches these things until FedEx made my route non-DOT. Could possibly have stroke while driving. But no, am not applying for disability. Instead I'm here fasting, eating one meal every other day in hopes of reversing the diabetes. Sometimes eat a meal every day, but in the last 19 days have only had 13 meals. You asked.
Ewwwwwww, post pics of your feet :)

vantexan

Ewwwwwww, post pics of your feet :)
Naw, I can't stand looking at them and no longer wear sandals so others don't see them. Right big toe still has about a third of old toenail loose but not quite enough to cut away. It's discolored and makes you nauseous looking at it.