New Social Security bill

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
And you'll realize just how compelling when you get older.
Despite being "conservative", you support social security. Your argument in favor is, one day you'll be poor too and understand.

Doubt it, but maybe, who knows.

Either way, not a very compelling argument.

Most likely I'll look back and think what a missed opportunity to get a decent return on my money it was.

LarryBird

I don't have any problem with the disability aspect, or even the spouse and child survivor payouts of social security. But if you don't have enough money to not work, you should work if you are physically capable, I don't care how old you are. Retirement is not a fundamental right.
Are you out of your mind? Is that how you feel about your own family?

Do you really think anyone deserves to be out banging on shingles at 80 or digging ditches at 75 because they weren't fortunate enough to have a high paying union job or didn't have the mental capacity to get a white collar job that allows you to both live in the present and set aside for the distant future?

That's about as cold hearted as it can get.

We're all just one illness or catastrophe from being bankrupt and in serious trouble. Do NOT think insurance will save you from that either. Because it doesn't. You can thank people like yourself, who installed caps on what the companies are liable to pay for that.

People who are doing well in life have a false sense of security that they don't realize can be shattered in an instant. You must be young, or have led a charmed life, if you haven't seen it happen before. Either that, or you're extremely naive.

Everyone deserves to spend the last few years of their lives doing whatever the :censored2: they want if they've spent their whole life working and contributing to society. Every job provides a value to society and serves the greater good, for the most part. Just because they don't make a ton of money doesn't make those people in those jobs less than.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I see you're still butthurt that you got called out on your lies last night. You'll get over it eventually monkeybutt.
Oh that's precious ... you were lying and with Cheryl's help (requested by you), it was obvious you were lying.

All you do is come on here and make stuff up and then make up lies to support your web of lies.

LarryBird

Well that’s pretty simple. Take the money that would have been taxed away from you that you’re getting a terrible return on (SS) and put it towards retirement. We’d all come out much better. Kind of like our pension monies at ups.
Or you'd come out broke.

Where are you people getting that investments are guaranteed to grow over time? Many investments lose money, and they all carry that risk, even the safest investments.

This thread is so *. Just rehashing the same two or three arguments over and over, while speaking in absolutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Is that how you feel about your own family?

Do you really think anyone deserves to be out banging on shingles at 80 or digging ditches at 75
Yes.
I don't believe in predestination.
We're all just one illness or catastrophe from being bankrupt and in serious trouble. Do NOT think insurance will save you from that either. Because it doesn't.
So the private short and long term disability insurance I have will not protect me from that. It's basic math in black and white, in a contract. Perhaps you should look into getting yourself some.
Everyone deserves to spend the last few years of their lives doing whatever the :censored2: they want if they've spent their whole life working and contributing to society.
I think we simply disagree on what "deserve" means. Retirement is not a fundamental right in my book.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Oh that's precious ... you were lying and with Cheryl's help (requested by you), it was obvious you were lying.

All you do is come on here and make stuff up and then make up lies to support your web of lies.
775.gif

LarryBird

yea some new guy showed up and suddenly the intelligence level here dropped dramitically
I suspect it was always the same. Low.

I'm gonna recruit a few others I know and see if we can bring up the curve a bit more. There's nowhere to go but up, so it surely can't hurt matters.