New Social Security bill

El Correcto

god is dead
Naw, I can't stand looking at them and no longer wear sandals so others don't see them. Right big toe still has about a third of old toenail loose but not quite enough to cut away. It's discolored and makes you nauseous looking at it.
A0C36E30-BEF0-4DC3-B083-9503D7B77660.jpeg

When I was real young I shattered this toe on a slide it’s still ugly. Let me see yours :)

It got really infected ended up running a bad fever before parents finally took me to hospital.

BrownArmy

Lost half my toenails recently. Diabetes after 22 years starts taking it's toll. Very hard on my feet, which hurt all the time. Was starting to have this issue my last year at FedEx. That and out of control blood sugar. My body no longer produces insulin. Serious enough that I was being closely monitored by agency that watches these things until FedEx made my route non-DOT. Could possibly have stroke while driving. But no, am not applying for disability. Instead I'm here fasting, eating one meal every other day in hopes of reversing the diabetes. Sometimes eat a meal every day, but in the last 19 days have only had 13 meals. You asked.

WTF

LarryBird

View attachment 237506
When I was real young I shattered this toe on a slide it’s still ugly. Let me see yours :)

It got really infected ended up running a bad fever before parents finally took me to hospital.
Please don't encourage him to put a pic up. I just ate.

I've seen it before, or worse probably. My gramps lost his leg from blockages causing poor circulation when I was in high school. His foot basically died, for lack of a better way of putting it. Gangrene set in, in the toes first and then spread up to about ankle high, before they had to take the leg at the knee, and then above it, when the first amputation didn't solve the issue. Was one of the grossest things I've ever seen.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You see, you live in a well paid bubble. Tens of millions don't and they're faced with hard choices every day to take care of their families. If you gave them the 6.2% most would likely spend it on what they need now.
I am well paid.
That wasn't always the case.

I'm not disagreeing with you that many will choose to not save.

I responded to a post that said blue collar workers wouldn't "be able" to save for retirement. That's simply not true.

Last edited:

El Correcto

god is dead
Please don't encourage him to put a pic up. I just ate.

I've seen it before, or worse probably. My gramps lost his leg from blockages causing poor circulation when I was in high school. His foot basically died, for lack of a better way of putting it. Gangrene set in, in the toes first and then spread up to about ankle high, before they had to take the leg at the knee, and then above it, when the first amputation didn't solve the issue. Was one of the grossest things I've ever seen.
But I wanna see it :(

bbsam

Staff member
Lost half my toenails recently. Diabetes after 22 years starts taking it's toll. Very hard on my feet, which hurt all the time. Was starting to have this issue my last year at FedEx. That and out of control blood sugar. My body no longer produces insulin. Serious enough that I was being closely monitored by agency that watches these things until FedEx made my route non-DOT. Could possibly have stroke while driving. But no, am not applying for disability. Instead I'm here fasting, eating one meal every other day in hopes of reversing the diabetes. Sometimes eat a meal every day, but in the last 19 days have only had 13 meals. You asked.
Non driving desk job perhaps?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I've been diabetic for 40 years and taking insulin for 25 years. You need to go see a diabetic doctor unless you just don't care (That's OK as well).
I had control problems for about four years until a year ago. The doctor tried several different approaches that did not work. He finally put me on Humulin-R U-500 which is 5 times more concentrated than normal insulin.
That worked and as to how and why, I was taking over 500 units per day with Humulin-R U-100 and my body was rejecting it because it was too much 'volume'. The injected insulin forms a 'blip' which the body tries to isolate and the larger the 'blip' the easier it is for the body to isolate.
I also started about 6 months ago of never injecting more than 50 units of U-500 in any injection spot and I started rotating the locations to other parts of my body that had a subcutaneous fat layer.

Another point I would argue is that eating 6 smaller meals a day increases the ability of the body to 'recognize' the insulin.

Exercise really helps to increase the body's ability to recognize and use insulin. Walking is a good exercise for a diabetic.

Don't give up Man ... my A1C readings were over 10 for several years and my last two A1Cs were 6.1 and 6.5!
My kidney functions are at 85% which is actually better than normal persons my age ... I was concerned when my doctor told me it was 85% and then he told me that was a good reading for my age. I attribute that to drinking lots of liquids, mostly water and PowerAde Zero, ... up to 2 1/2 gallons per day. 2 gallons a day is a lot but keeping the kidneys flushed is something I have concentrated on ever since high school.

Last edited:

LarryBird

I am well paid.
That wasn't always the case.

I'm not disagreeing with you that many will choose to not save.

I responded to a post that said blue collar workers wouldn't "be able" to save for retirement. That's simply is not true.
Guess it depends on which side of the blue collar spectrum they're on. Union workers, those in skilled trades, truck drivers, and other high paid blue collar workers can save for retirement and live a solid middle lifestyle at the same time. Many others can barely put food on the table and keep the lights on while living modestly and working every available shift they can get at 2 jobs. Don't think saving for retirement even enters into their minds when a missed paycheck can put them under. That's what they're thinking about - I hope I don't get sick, I can't afford it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Guess it depends on which side of the blue collar spectrum they're on. Union workers in skilled trades, truck drivers, and other high paid blue collar workers can save for retirement and live a solid middle lifestyle at the same time. Many others can barely put food on the table and keep the lights on while living modestly and working every available shift they can get at 2 jobs. Don't think saving for retirement even enters into their minds when a missed paycheck can put them under. That's what they're thinking about - I hope I don't get sick, I can't afford it.
If someone working a blue collar job can't save 15% of their income for retirement they need to cut their spending, make more money, or both. Whining doesn't help.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Lost half my toenails recently. ...
I know 4 people who are diabetic that had their toenails removed in their 50's.
It appears that losing toenails is quite common with diabetics.

Nail Removal for Nail Fungus?
Individuals who suffer from diabetes are susceptible to toenail fungal infections and their complications. It is very important to treat the infection and achieve good glucose control. (This is not just a cosmetic problem for individuals who have diabetes.)
People who get their toenails removed, are usually younger (40-59) and have a reasonable assurance that they will have problems with their toenail later in life.
Removing toenails when diabetes is out-of-control is not normally a good thing to do since healing is a problem for out-of-control diabetics.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
"Medicare for All" is an entitlement program as there is no requirement to pay into a system in order to get benefits.

Not true for over 99% of the population. Yes 1% wont/can't work and will try to game the system. But to call it an entitlement because of a very small subset of the population is disingenuous at best.

Well that’s pretty simple. Take the money that would have been taxed away from you that you’re getting a terrible return on (SS) and put it towards retirement. We’d all come out much better. Kind of like our pension monies at ups.
What are you babbling about? It is a forced retirement account, that gets a lousy ROI

I contend that it is only a horrible ROI if you don't live long enough! The longer you live the better SS is for you when compared to other retirement plans/options.

I think we simply disagree on what "deserve" means. Retirement is not a fundamental right in my book.

I honestly do not think a person should not have to work when they are 93 and physically as well as mentally unable. So would that make me a believer of a fundamental right to retirement?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You see, you live in a well paid bubble. Tens of millions don't and they're faced with hard choices every day to take care of their families. If you gave them the 6.2% most would likely spend it on what they need now.
NEED

I don’t think you understand the meaning of that word.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
"Medicare for All" is an entitlement program ...
Not true for over 99% of the population. Yes 1% wont/can't work and will try to game the system. But to call it an entitlement because of a very small subset of the population is disingenuous at best.
It would seem you have a different understanding of 'Entitlement Program' than I do.

Entitlement vs. Welfare
Social Security payments, and payments under unemployment insurance, are entitlements because the recipient has previously paid into these programs.
Welfare consists of payments from the government based on need. ... This why (as seen in the other answers) social security is considered an entitlement but not welfare.

What is a government entitlement program?
Entitlement programs are social welfare programs with specific requirements.
Congress sets eligibility requirements and benefits for entitlement programs.
Entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare make up the bulk of mandatory spending.

LarryBird

NEED

I don’t think you understand the meaning of that word.
Food, water, clothing, and shelter.

I know some of you can't fathom that there's people who have a hard time obtaining, keeping, and providing those things for themselves and their families despite working 2 jobs, but there are lots of them. There's lots more of them than there are of people with jobs that put them in the top 10% of wage earners like many in this forum.

Before you say something like, 'yeah, well I bet they have a television - that's not a need' or 'they're probably wearing jordans and eating out everyday', just don't do it. It makes you look like a jerkoff.

Be happy you're well off enough not to have to worry about fulfilling your needs and leave it at that.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
*Deleted*

Your post does nothing but display, for everyone to see, how terribly ignorant you are.

I have Type-II diabetes and was diagnosed when I was 24 years old and weighed 182 pounds at 6 feet tall and I was a UPS Driver.
I have a 28 inch inseam which means my upper body is the length of the normal 6'8" person ... basically, I looked underweight and I later found out, 'they' thought I was on cocaine or meth.

Last edited by a moderator:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Food, water, clothing, and shelter.

I know some of you can't fathom that there's people who have a hard time obtaining, keeping, and providing those things for themselves and their families despite working 2 jobs, but there are lots of them.
Like I said, I'm okay with a government program to keep them above the poverty line if they become disabled. Otherwise, go to work.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Not exactly.
An insurance program requires that the ensured person pay into the program for a unspecified period of time.
Medicare is an insurance program.

"Medicare for All" is an entitlement program as there is no requirement to pay into a system in order to get benefits.

It would seem you have a different understanding of 'Entitlement Program' than I do.

My error in not quoting your entire post. Correct me if I am wrong but you are saying current Medicare is an insurance program but the much bantered about and poorly understood "Medicare for all" is welfare or an entitlement program? And it is "welfare" because 1% have not paid into it yet receive benefits?