New Social Security bill

El Correcto

god is dead
Say they weren't "winners" in life like you and thus don't deserve anything?
What’s up with the deserve talk? What ever happened to deserving freedom and a right to your own life?

I’d say I grew up pretty poor, not a lot of opportunities. I made the best of it, I haven’t taken any government handout I was “entitled” to, such as the Hazlewood Act to pay for college.

States can do what they want to address those problems and other states can emulate success. You’re arguing this like the federal government is the only government in this country that can help it’s citizens. We are a nation of 50 laboratories, we don’t have to run the Marxist experiment on all 50 to test it out. People are fleeing the states that do this, they want their policies to be across the board, no more running to freedom and independence.

vantexan

What’s up with the deserve talk? What ever happened to deserving freedom and a right to your own life?

I’d say I grew up pretty poor, not a lot of opportunities. I made the best of it, I haven’t taken any government handout I was “entitled” to, such as the Hazlewood Act to pay for college.

States can do what they want to address those problems and other states can emulate success. You’re arguing this like the federal government is the only government in this country that can help it’s citizens. We are a nation of 50 laboratories, we don’t have to run the Marxist experiment on all 50 to test it out. People are fleeing the states that do this, they want their policies to be across the board, no more running to freedom and independence.
The states they're running to all have the same system. There's nothing Marxist about Social Security. Everybody chips in, and everybody benefits. But so that you aren't hypocritical you can opt not to take it when the time comes.

El Correcto

god is dead
The states they're running to all have the same system. There's nothing Marxist about Social Security. Everybody chips in, and everybody benefits. But so that you aren't hypocritical you can opt not to take it when the time comes.
“Everybody chips in, Everybody benefits”
Okay Uncle Bernie thanks for the lesson in the merits of collectivism. I’m sure this one policy hasn’t lead to an ever growing welfare state and destructive mentality in the voters.

And yes FDR loved old Uncle Joe over in Soviet Russia. You’re benefitting from a proponent of Marxism, enjoy your handout.

vantexan

“Everybody chips in, Everybody benefits”
Okay Uncle Bernie thanks for the lesson in the merits of collectivism. I’m sure this one policy hasn’t lead to an ever growing welfare state and destructive mentality in the voters.

And yes FDR loved old Uncle Joe over in Soviet Russia. You’re benefitting from a proponent of Marxism, enjoy your handout.
Not a handout when I paid into it. But again, if you feel you'd be a hypocrite taking SS then don't.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That’s the problem, everyone’s worried about where the roulette ball will land. How many more times are they going to increase the age limit for government retirement, how much will it end up costing the workers to properly fund it as people life expectancy increases. You got to keep in mind social security wasn’t originally planned to subsidize someone for 40 years.
The average life expectancy was 61 in 1935, people start collecting at 65. That isn’t the case these days, it needs an increased age limit.

Trust me, I understand the problems with social security, and government involvement in pretty much anything. At thirty I would have gladly given up any future social security pay outs, if it meant I could stop paying in. That time is over, and I've paid too much in now. I don't have an issue with raising the age limit, and I don't have a problem trying to find an equitable way of phasing out social security all together, but I do have a problem having all my money disappearing in a puff of smoke when I was never given an option on what was done with it.

I actually have no real intention of ever retiring, I am constantly building towards the life I want, and that will never be without work. I'm aiming more towards developing sources of income that will allow me to choose the work I do, and when I do it.

Trust me, I understand the problems with social security, and government involvement in pretty much anything. At thirty I would have gladly given up any future social security pay outs, if it meant I could stop paying in. That time is over, and I've paid too much in now. I don't have an issue with raising the age limit, and I don't have a problem trying to find an equitable way of phasing out social security all together, but I do have a problem having all my money disappearing in a puff of smoke when I was never given an option on what was done with it.

I actually have no real intention of ever retiring, I am constantly building towards the life I want, and that will never be without work. I'm aiming more towards developing sources of income that will allow me to choose the work I do, and when I do it.
Sometimes life doesn't give you those choices.

El Correcto

god is dead

I don’t want social security recipients to go without their stolen loot. But voting against any meaningful social security reform and eventually getting rid of it is a huge problem with these people currently on it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You got to keep in mind social security wasn’t originally planned to subsidize someone for 40 years.

Yet you don’t have morales behind it, you don’t believe welfare states are good when they don’t directly benefit you and you still have to pick up the tab.
If the Social Security system had never been modified since it’s inception you might have a valid point.

And it’s morals, not morales.

Get an education.

bacha29

We should just turn to the federal government for all our financial decisions.

They’ll promise you a retirement, health insurance, livable wages, housing, food, education so you can learn how wonderful it all is and in the end we will be lucky if we get a loaf of bread after waiting in Bernie’s wonderful breadlines.
You're the kind of person I'm seeing more of lately. You want the older worker out of the workforce not competing against you for jobs that thanks to automation will be fewer in number but you don't want us drawing any benefits. You can't have it both ways

You can go cocking off about Social Security all you want. In fact Bush wanted to privatize it but that was just ahead of the worst recession in 80 years. Furthermore banks didn't want to do it because of the cost of managing small account balances and the fees they would have to deduct from those balances. In addition they pointed to the fact that all the accounts would be are piggy banks people would be raiding all the time and would lack the discipline to keep the money there.

As for Medicare the political downfall of Paul Ryan was his so called "Pathway to Prosperity" plan which would have terminated Medicare and replaced it with a voucher for $7700 for every Medicare enrolled individual. Too bad he was too dumb to realize that there ain't an insurance company in the entire world who would write a health insurance contract for a 68 year old retiree for $650 a month.

Nobody's stopping you from making your own financial decisions but add about 30 more years of bodily ageing and 2 or 3 and perhaps more major recessions during that time and the resulting devaluations of your savings you would then understand the growing public push backs against GOP efforts to abolish these programs . Not just push backs but growing demands for measures designed to strength them.

You're the kind of person I'm seeing more of lately. You want the older worker out of the workforce not competing against you for jobs that thanks to automation will be fewer in number but you don't want us drawing any benefits. You can't have it both ways

You can go cocking off about Social Security all you want. In fact Bush wanted to privatize it but that was just ahead of the worst recession in 80 years. Furthermore banks didn't want to do it because of the cost of managing small account balances and the fees they would have to deduct from those balances. In addition they pointed to the fact that all the accounts would be are piggy banks people would be raiding all the time and would lack the discipline to keep the money there.

As for Medicare the political downfall of Paul Ryan was his so called "Pathway to Prosperity" plan which would have terminated Medicare and replaced it with a voucher for $7700 for every Medicare enrolled individual. Too bad he was too dumb to realize that there ain't an insurance company in the entire world who would write a health insurance contract for a 68 year old retiree for $650 a month.

Nobody's stopping you from making your own financial decisions but add about 30 more years of bodily ageing and 2 or 3 and perhaps more major recessions during that time and the resulting devaluations of your savings you would then understand the growing public push backs against GOP efforts to abolish these programs . Not just push backs but growing demands for measures designed to strength them.
PeiPeo need to take a little responsibility for themselves. What don't they teach this stuff in school?