New Sticker on your car!

FilingBluesFL

If I had a dollar, for every time I got into a package car, and instead of loading a bulk stop in the back with multiple packages over 20-30lbs, they instead walked them to the front of the package car, and stacked them on, under, and around the shelf, usually with half of them falling down and jamming up the bulkhead door...

How friend'ing stupid do you have to be to walk back and forth in that truck 20, 30, 40 times to load a bulk stop of heavy packages into the front of the truck...

Friggin idiots....

Loyal Teamster

If I had a dollar, for every time I got into a package car, and instead of loading a bulk stop in the back with multiple packages over 20-30lbs, they instead walked them to the front of the package car, and stacked them on, under, and around the shelf, usually with half of them falling down and jamming up the bulkhead door...

How friend'ing stupid do you have to be to walk back and forth in that truck 20, 30, 40 times to load a bulk stop of heavy packages into the front of the truck...

Friggin idiots....

Maybe they do lunges with extra weight of the boxes. I usually do push-ups inside truck when my slide is clean. Also workout biceps when i get leaf springs.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

didyousheetit

Maybe you should be my loader then. Two weeks ago he had a 135lb. NDA loaded on my top shelf in my 1000 section. I was shellshocked. Why would he even attempt that?!?!?
BTW, I'm that 6'2" 250lb driver. But I'll take heavier packages on the middle shelf all day long. Right in my power zone.
I'm 6' 2" 255 myself and I wish all the heavy ones were on the middle shelf, you're right about the power zone much better than the floor.

Indecisi0n

I just hope the customer isn't close by when I push the over 70 off the top shelf and it slams to the floor. Then I slide it to the rear door to cart it off.

UPSGUY72

Are you really complaining about this? Do you know how hard it makes the unloaders' job? This should be common sense. Sometimes I feel like we need to make new hires take a common sense test before we let them through the door. Same for drivers - atleast make it a requirement for them to have their HS diploma and 15 college credits.

Good thing they don't you would have failed....

rod

Retired 22 years
I never really had a problem with heavy stuff loaded on the top shelf. If they wanted to struggle lifting it up there at least I had gravity on my side getting it down. What pissed me off was when the hid a box on top of a box on the top shelf that you couldn't see until it was too late and it hit you in the nose.

Indecisi0n

I never really had a problem with heavy stuff loaded on the top shelf. If they wanted to struggle lifting it up there at least I had gravity on my side getting it down. What pissed me off was when the hid a box on top of a box on the top shelf that you couldn't see until it was too late and it hit you in the nose.
I'm on the shorter side and always tilt boxes before I pull them.

Big Babooba

Have you ever had a shelf rip off from the wall because it was overloaded? I have. I hit a bump in the road at a construction site and off it came. It made one hell of a noise. So did my mechanic.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I think you misunderstood me. I'm totally against putting heavy packages on top of the top shelf

Then what the hell are you talking about? I misunderstood everything you said.

Putting something heavy on the floor? Well im glad you have the luxury.

When you can, you will. And when everything you deal within a night is 40+ pounds, is there still an option? Why not put it all on the floor, it was the point I was making. If a driver cant lift and lower something at 70 pounds on a top shelf, then they cant work this job, it should be a standard rule.

What kindve cars are you loading anyways? Are the packages mostly under 30 pounds? If so, then you've never really loaded anything of weight. You see what I did there, LOL.

Random_Facts

It's always been a rule here, nothing over 40 on the top shelf. But then you have some boxes that say 65 pounds, but when you go pick it up, in reality it weighs 10 pounds. As it's clearly marked wrong. As long as you tell your driver, about it when you see him/her. They don't freak out as bad later in the day. =). I also completely understand, that the business drivers (which I load), always get heavier boxes. It takes up your room faster. If you learn custom loading, you can pack in a lot more and with style.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Then what the hell are you talking about? I misunderstood everything you said.

Putting something heavy on the floor? Well im glad you have the luxury.

When you can, you will. And when everything you deal within a night is 40+ pounds, is there still an option? Why not put it all on the floor, it was the point I was making. If a driver cant lift and lower something at 70 pounds on a top shelf, then they cant work this job, it should be a standard rule.

What kindve cars are you loading anyways? Are the packages mostly under 30 pounds? If so, then you've never really loaded anything of weight. You see what I did there, LOL.

They are not suppose to pass chest height. its much safer to pick up something that's below your legs than something that's above your shoulders, FACT! Go to any doctor with at least an IQ of 60 and they'll tell you that I'm right. If you take your time and follow the 8 keys of lifting and lowering - you won't have any problem lifting heavy boxes at floor height - even if its 200 70ibs boxes. there is NO safe way to lift something thats over your head.

Thanks,
Superman @ local 804.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
They are not suppose to pass chest height. its much safer to pick up something that's below your legs than something that's above your shoulders, FACT! Go to any doctor with at least an IQ of 60 and they'll tell you that I'm right. If you take your time and follow the 8 keys of lifting and lowering - you won't have any problem lifting heavy boxes at floor height - even if its 200 70ibs boxes. there is NO safe way to lift something thats over your head.

Thanks,
Superman @ local 804.

If you've ever worked an industrial rote, or unloaded package cars, your opinion would be different. Even if you follow the methods, unloading several hundred boxes of dense college text books weighing 60 lbs. each quickly grows tiring. It's actually a lot easier to pull them off the shelves than it is off the floor. It is, however, easier to load them onto the floor.

I unload a trailer every day in which the hub places the heaviest packages onto the floor, with the lighter packages on top. This may be the "ideal" way to load the trailer, but no matter what methods you use, your body aches after you've finished. When many of these packages are loaded in the center of the wall -- which is common, since most of us are lazy and load the packages in the order they arrive -- it's significantly easier to unload. Of course, you wind up with many packages that need to be re-boxed.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If you've ever worked an industrial rote, or unloaded package cars, your opinion would be different. Even if you follow the methods, unloading several hundred boxes of dense college text books weighing 60 lbs. each quickly grows tiring. It's actually a lot easier to pull them off the shelves than it is off the floor. It is, however, easier to load them onto the floor.

I unload a trailer every day in which the hub places the heaviest packages onto the floor, with the lighter packages on top. This may be the "ideal" way to load the trailer, but no matter what methods you use, your body aches after you've finished. When many of these packages are loaded in the center of the wall -- which is common, since most of us are lazy and load the packages in the order they arrive -- it's significantly easier to unload. Of course, you wind up with many packages that need to be re-boxed.

I'm an unloader and I unload almost 18 package cars every night. Today, I unloaded a full trailer today in 25 minutes. Around 50% were over 65ibs. But don't compare yourself with me, I'm not an ordinary package handler. I'm a powerlifter - no arrogance intended. And let me tell you this, yes, its probably easier to lift heavy boxes from above, but its very dangerous and ignorant.

Thanks
Superman @ local 804.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I'm an unloader and I unload almost 18 package cars every night. Today, I unloaded a full trailer today in 25 minutes. Around 50% were over 65ibs. But don't compare yourself with me, I'm not an ordinary package handler. I'm a powerlifter - no arrogance intended. And let me tell you this, yes, its probably easier to lift heavy boxes from above, but its very dangerous and ignorant.

Thanks
Superman @ local 804.

It's not that difficult to unload a "full" trailer on the local sort/twilight/reload (whatever your facility calls it) in 25 minutes, even if most of the packages weigh over 65 lbs.

Try doing it on the Preload, or a hub-hub sort and get back with me. No SPA person or sorter could keep up to enable you to finish that quickly (unless the boxes were exceptionally large), and the cameras in automated facilities are even slower. Not to mention that over 70s and irregulars will always slow you down.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It's not that difficult to unload a "full" trailer on the local sort/twilight/reload (whatever your facility calls it) in 25 minutes, even if most of the packages weigh over 65 lbs. Try doing it on the Preload, or a hub-hub sort and get back with me. No SPA person or sorter could keep up to enable you to finish that quickly (unless the boxes were exceptionally large), and the cameras in automated facilities are even slower. Not to mention that over 70s and irregulars will always slow you down.
Preload/twilight = no difference. Heck, twilight have more volume than preload, most of the preloaders in my building get one hour because the volume is that low. Completing a large trailer in 25 minutes may not be difficult, but most people can't do it. My back was aching me like crazy when I was half way, and I pushed myself to do it. Keep in mind that I did this by myself, and the metro that I used cannot go all the way into the truck, probably like halfway or less. So I had to pick up packages and threw it onto the metro about 3-4 feet. If the Metro could reach all the way in the back, I would be done in 12-15 minutes.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Preload/twilight = no difference. Heck, twilight have more volume than preload, most of the preloaders in my building get one hour because the volume is that low. Completing a large trailer in 25 minutes may not be difficult, but most people can't do it. My back was aching me like crazy when I was half way, and I pushed myself to do it. Keep in mind that I did this by myself, and the metro that I used cannot go all the way into the truck, probably like halfway or less. So I had to pick up packages and threw it onto the metro about 3-4 feet. If the Metro could reach all the way in the back, I would be done in 12-15 minutes.

First off, the volume deviation between Preload & Twilight varies from building to building. I work one of the country's largest Preloads but on a good day our Twilight gets one-fourth the volume we do. That said, no Preloader in your building is going to come to work for only one hour. Especially in NYC.

That said, there's a tremendous difference between unloading on the Preload, as well as a hub->hub sort, and on the local sort (Twilight). The trailers that arrive on Preload are packed -- it's not uncommon to find a 100 lb. package, a 70 lb. metal pipe, or a 40 lb. package concealed behind a larger package - all on the top of the load in effort to utilize all available space. You can use all the methods you're trained; unless you're careful, you're going to get hurt (not necessarily severely). Plus there's over 70 lbs. / irregulars throughout the trailer (which need to be pulled, thus slow you down), as well as open boxes, damaged boxes & destroyed packages - all of which are time consuming to deal with. Plus you need to deal with SPA people and sorters (or, in an automated facility, the even slower camera system). I don't care how good you are, about 25-30 minutes is the fastest you can unload a pup -- and that's without any bulk, and with many larger packages. Not to mention that there's a big difference in unloading a trailer from CACH, which may be entirely lightweight Amazon boxes, and one from Detroit, which is heavy manufacturing packages.

And try unloading a 53' trailer here. We have to walk the final 10' off, since we don't have rollers that attach to each other. Ever walk several hundred boxes of paper realms off? Takes 20 minutes by itself. At the very least.