New to FedEx Express - Seniority Rules

vantexan

If there's one thing that makes me sick, it's when a courier tells a brand new courier something like "no lates" or "please don't have lates." The thing I've noticed with this is the couriers who say this stuff usually haven't been couriers for that long it seems lol - they've been doing it 5 years at most. When I first started years ago, every courier with half a brain would tell me, "please do me a favor and be safe out there" and not to worry about lates - they happen and it has nothing to do with your job - you don't plan the engineering behind a route, you do the delivering and picking up of the packages.... A few couriers who had only been couriers for a few years or so would try to intimidate me saying "no lates" or "please don't have lates, just don't." I guess what I'm getting at is people learn, even if they learn very slow haha. To the OP, if you take a courier job, just remember safety above all. You may have co-workers trying to intimidate you by saying not to have lates under any circumstances. When they do this, just use it as a reminder to slow down and be safe. Lates happen... Any day you go on the road and don't get into an accident is a good day. You need to be home safe...
They used to give a payout for being one of top three stations in district. Since they stopped that I've never understood why it's so important to some couriers that the station gets good numbers. Are these super competitive people? Control freaks? I try to do the best I can but don't need anyone telling me to move faster. Years ago on the Friday after Christmas(on Thursday)we were told to get in as soon as possible but I was told to wait 30 minutes until a dropbox was ready. Older courier got in my face, literally, about milking it. As in wanting to fight. And I was usually tops in productivity.

l22

They used to give a payout for being one of top three stations in district. Since they stopped that I've never understood why it's so important to some couriers that the station gets good numbers. Are these super competitive people? Control freaks? I try to do the best I can but don't need anyone telling me to move faster. Years ago on the Friday after Christmas(on Thursday)we were told to get in as soon as possible but I was told to wait 30 minutes until a dropbox was ready. Older courier got in my face, literally, about milking it. As in wanting to fight. And I was usually tops in productivity.

I don't get why some couriers get so emotional about this stuff - it's boxes filled with things that recipients will receive sooner or later. Can't we all just take pride in the fact that we are professionals whose main duty is to ensure the safety of ourselves and our fellow human beings?

Serf

At 30yrs old you should aim for management for any sustainable career. A courier position now should only be considered a "job" and not a career. after 10 years and making less than $1 more than a new hire... and about $3 more than when I started.. as a 30yr old you should think long and hard about what you want in the long run.. sure 15/hr sounds good today, but three years from now when you are making 15.50, (and the new guy is making 15.45) you aren't going to be too happy.
It's true. Starting courier pay near me is now 17.74. The majority of couriers with 5-8 years are making 18.40. And that's with the recent raise. So the better part of the last decade earns you a quarter more an hour than a new hire. Strangely enough I met a (Handler DOT) who has spent the last 18 years working at a major bulk pickup stop. Spending 35 hours a week in a trailer t stacking boxes. And making 19.43 an hour as he so proudly proclaimed. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I had to sign off on a gap report today that showed that I only ran ~85% yesterday. I couldn't recall getting in any bad traffic or, getting held up badly so, whatever, I signed it.

Here's what I'll say when they try to OLCC me for it, I rarely have lates, I've never had an accident in 8 yrs., I've never had a customer complaint. So, what do they want? A good driver or, a numbers person?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I had to sign off on a gap report today that showed that I only ran ~85% yesterday. I couldn't recall getting in any bad traffic or, getting held up badly so, whatever, I signed it.

Here's what I'll say when they try to OLCC me for it, I rarely have lates, I've never had an accident in 8 yrs., I've never had a customer complaint. So, what do they want? A good driver or, a numbers person?
They demand perfection while the upper management gets away with doing a lousy job for the most part. They should be selling shoes.

l22

I wouldn't sign any gap reports or OLCCs if I were you. You can choose to make notes on a gap report and initial them and give them back to your manager though. Anytime you are presented with a gap report that you are asked to sign and questioned about supposed on-road performance based on the gap report, request a checkride and that they do the route with you in the passenger seat to show you how to do a better job.

If they try and give you an OLCC, no need to say "I rarely have lates, I've never had an accident in 8 yrs., I've never had a customer complaint. So, what do you want? A good driver or, a numbers person?" Just keep it simple - say you cannot sign this at this time and request both a checkride and that they do the route with you in the passenger seat to show you how you can do a better job. That's all.

Last edited:

Purplepackage

It's just regular harassment there's really nothing they can do to you. It's better than running and speeding and missing POD scans which you will be fired for

Goldilocks

They want us to produce numbers because their bonus check is based on your hard blood sweat and tears.

l22

It's just regular harassment there's really nothing they can do to you. It's better than running and speeding and missing POD scans which you will be fired for

Yup, nothing at all. You will still be a courier - they may just try and give you a different route/have some other courier take some of your route's stops - if they think you're going too slow or if you're not making service or having too many gaps. Let them worry about that though. Always do everything by the books and you will still have your job. Make sure you keep record of what is happening, including the dates that something happened and what you're manager told you/presented you with and what you said in response.

anybody can bid on any job on jcats. if a position is posted on jcats, that means anyone can bid for it. if you bid on a job on jcats and you are the only one and somehow you dont get the position even if you were the only one that applied for and it closes, they have to give it you. they cannot repost again. you can gft it

STFXG

anybody can bid on any job on jcats. if a position is posted on jcats, that means anyone can bid for it. if you bid on a job on jcats and you are the only one and somehow you dont get the position even if you were the only one that applied for and it closes, they have to give it you. they cannot repost again. you can gft it
Really? Resurrection?

bacha29

Guys let's do this the easy way. Let's all chip in and pay for Mr FedexNW "s trip to the Fedex mind control academy and reeducation center A couple of days of " enhanced interogation" would be the best thing anybody could do for this poor clueless soul. He should instead join the Bridge and Iron Workers Union this way he would be certain to get off the ground. And he wants to be a driver so let's send him out in winter in one of those tin coffin step vans. You guys know what they're like in winter, You say stop. It says when?. You say turn it says," does it matter which direction"? And safety wise, all you can hope for is that it's quick and painless and cleaning you up is a hose job. Rest assured anybody who has spent just 1 winter doing the white knockle route would love an office job. Mr NW cannot be more detached from reality.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Guys let's do this the easy way. Let's all chip in and pay for Mr FedexNW "s trip to the Fedex mind control academy and reeducation center A couple of days of " enhanced interogation" would be the best thing anybody could do for this poor clueless soul. He should instead join the Bridge and Iron Workers Union this way he would be certain to get off the ground. And he wants to be a driver so let's send him out in winter in one of those tin coffin step vans. You guys know what they're like in winter, You say stop. It says when?. You say turn it says," does it matter which direction"? And safety wise, all you can hope for is that it's quick and painless and cleaning you up is a hose job. Rest assured anybody who has spent just 1 winter doing the white knockle route would love an office job. Mr NW cannot be more detached from reality.
Especially since Mr. Gung Ho hasn't been on here in over a year.

Purple no more

There is a lot of bitterness out there, some deserved, some not. The fact is FedEx is a stable company that will pay regularly and provide benefits. Is the pay the best in the world, no. Are the benefits the best in the world, no. I worked 21 years and never really felt valued. The upshot is, unless you have what it takes to be very high on the corporate ladder, you will be worked HARD. But you won't have to worry about missing a paycheck. If you are looking for fulfillment, look some where else.

bacha29

It's not a question of bitterness. It just so happens that Mr NW expects the guys who got to where they are through their own dedicated efforts and hard work to show him how to game the system in a manner that allows him to get to the top shelf without having to go through the misery you guys did. Who does this guy think he is anyway? You don't owe him anything given that in his mid thirties he gets the big idea to start over again and wants you guys to show him how to shorten the time line now that he has realized that he doesn't have as much time left as he thought he had. Walking away from what appeared to be a decent job in an economy as bad as this one is a risk he chose to take and what he wants now are the rewards and not the risks that goes right along with that decision.

whenIgetthere

I hope that someone told you that anyone that has started in the last ten years will NEVER reach top of range in pay.Whether its handler,driver or whatever its NEVER.Your best option to move up is to get into ops or ramp management.Management as far as ops is thankless and short term any more due to high burn out.Good luck in what you choose,but choose wisely.

Ten years? More like twenty!

It's just regular harassment there's really nothing they can do to you. It's better than running and speeding and missing POD scans which you will be fired for[/

wow what station are you at? It seems like the employees at the small stations get olcc for gap reports and lates. Our station we don't get olcc for gap reports or having pickup and delivery lates. All they care about is missing pod and safety. They look at the bigger picture. Even if we miss van scans we don't get olcc. Come work in the sf Bay Area big stations

Meat

They used to give a payout for being one of top three stations in district. Since they stopped that I've never understood why it's so important to some couriers that the station gets good numbers. Are these super competitive people

To be honest with you, Americans - and I suspect Homo sapiens in general - place a great deal of importance on being relatively superior to their peers (see the interaction between you and others on this board for concrete examples). Studies have shown that general satisfaction (i.e. happiness) does not increase in societies where everybody has an increase in their standard of living, as people like to like to think they are doing "better" than their neighbor - food for thought.

l22

There is a lot of bitterness out there, some deserved, some not. The fact is FedEx is a stable company that will pay regularly and provide benefits. Is the pay the best in the world, no. Are the benefits the best in the world, no. I worked 21 years and never really felt valued. The upshot is, unless you have what it takes to be very high on the corporate ladder, you will be worked HARD. But you won't have to worry about missing a paycheck. If you are looking for fulfillment, look some where else.

Well said, this about sums it up for me. I work so I can make money and working here I make money - not the most in the world, but it's something I can live decently off of, being someone who doesn't have kids. Just like you said "if you are looking for fulfillment, look somewhere else." ... This job is just about making money now, and it's usually not enough money for someone with kids (not me). The company may have changed (probably for the worse), but so has every other company. It is still a good place to work, by today's standards. It is hard work but so is everything else.