New to FedEx Express - Seniority Rules

vantexan

Well said, this about sums it up for me. I work so I can make money and working here I make money - not the most in the world, but it's something I can live decently off of, being someone who doesn't have kids. Just like you said "if you are looking for fulfillment, look somewhere else." ... This job is just about making money now, and it's usually not enough money for someone with kids (not me). The company may have changed (probably for the worse), but so has every other company. It is still a good place to work, by today's standards. It is hard work but so is everything else.
Yes but most jobs don't send you out in hazardous weather, keep you hanging around until the work shows up, or require you give up holiday time with your family. The ones that do usually compensate better for your trouble. This company instead pushes for more and more from us, gives less and less to us, and tells us they put us first. Most people familiar with FedEx have seen through the B.S. to the point that FedEx is now grudgingly having to improve compensation. But since today's job market isn't that great either they're only improving compensation as little as they can get away with. Getting up to the mid-$20's an hour in 10 years, assuming they keep their word, is better than working for $12hr-$15hr over the next 10 years, so FedEx will attract people. But doesn't change their screwing over 10's of thousands of people in the last 20 years and, if I were a newhire who knew the history, would make me very wary of anything they say.

l22

Yes but most jobs don't send you out in hazardous weather, keep you hanging around until the work shows up, or require you give up holiday time with your family. The ones that do usually compensate better for your trouble. This company instead pushes for more and more from us, gives less and less to us, and tells us they put us first. Most people familiar with FedEx have seen through the B.S. to the point that FedEx is now grudgingly having to improve compensation. But since today's job market isn't that great either they're only improving compensation as little as they can get away with. Getting up to the mid-$20's an hour in 10 years, assuming they keep their word, is better than working for $12hr-$15hr over the next 10 years, so FedEx will attract people. But doesn't change their screwing over 10's of thousands of people in the last 20 years and, if I were a newhire who knew the history, would make me very wary of anything they say.

Agree with everything you said. Just saying it's better than every job I've had before it and I've had a lot of jobs... With hazardous weather, slow down/pull over and don't get out of the truck until you feel safe doing so - wait as long as you need to. Safety above all.

Nolimitz

Van
No where is there any published data that the 10 STEP plan occurs over 10 years. It is a carrot on a 100 ft stick. I don't believe I will ever see mid $20 in the next 10 years and I have 6 in so far

Joe Nuno

My question first: I'm new to FedEx but am older (early 30s and in midst of career change), very determined, ensuring I am a top performer (attendance, scans, everything) etc., and want to move up FASTER than average. How do I get around the seniority/points rules? It seems like so many people just try to get by doing the bare minimum. I would love to be a courier - at least for now. I always hear I'll have to wait a few years - I refuse to fall for that and wait that long. I'm hoping to get back to the ($15-$20 full-time) range within the next year. Around 15 years ago, my sister's husband quit his bartender job in Anchorage, became a handler at UPS and then a driver in less than a year.

Background: I've been working as a Handler at a FedEx ramp for a few months. I have a solid background, but decided to leave the office environment to go after more of a passion - aviation/driving. I've found that I love it here and love the company. I make less money, but am much happier with life and going to work.

I'm trying to do all the little things and be a top performer consistently. It's a little surprising how many have the attitude that they just want to get through the shift and their minds are just elsewhere. Many of them are younger, though, and I can relate. It takes us time to find our calling.

Being that I'm in myearly 30s, I want to move up in this company FASTER than average...much faster. I actually bid for a driver positiion on JCats and was the only bidder until the last day it was posted. I was told they might make an exception for me even though I'm under 6 months. A few others (drivers) applied at the last hours. I was told that even if I had more seniority, drivers always get picked first. That makes sense.
UPS has a due process and must comply with the CBA that's agree between the employees and the company, no if or but...bottom line, no brownie nose points.
IMO seniority must be respected because a senior employee has worked hard and earned his position where he stands and no Youngblood yes sir may I have another should bypass and disrespect a senior driver.
Earned your rights as your seniority increased in the time of paying your dues by seniority rights.
Here at FedEx freight seniority is followed with a priority rule, or if not, more yards will increase to organize with the Teamsters and will try to assemble a Collective Bargaining Agreement.

vantexan

Van
No where is there any published data that the 10 STEP plan occurs over 10 years. It is a carrot on a 100 ft stick. I don't believe I will ever see mid $20 in the next 10 years and I have 6 in so far
All we can do is wait and see. But if the new plan is just another big screw over then FedEx will be in serious danger of not getting enough people to do the work. They are saving more than enough on fuel alone to easily pay better. Too little too late for me but for younger employees I think you can reasonably expect to top out in 10 years now. The big question is do they adjust for inflation over those 10 years as mid-$20's an hr won't be worth in 10 years what it is now. And once topped out are you frozen there forever?

McFeely

Huge Member
All we can do is wait and see. But if the new plan is just another big screw over then FedEx will be in serious danger of not getting enough people to do the work.

What I think is amazing is how much turnover FX has (at least at my station, I'm sure others as well) due to the wage paid among other reasons.

The trouble is, when they bring on new people, they're just as expensive or more expensive than a veteran courier:
-More delivery failures
-More accidents
-Less productive on-road
-More overtime
-Plus the cost to train a new employee

We had a safety meeting last week to discuss the high number of preventable accidents in our region and how high it is. My manager then went on to say that 50% of our station had been with FedEx for less than a year. Coincidence? Derp!

bacha29

Joe Nuno is right. The only way seniority prevails is when there is a binding contract in place that has a clear definition of what seniority is and how it is applied. At Xpress because there is no such agreement seniority is whatever X says it is and if when where and how it's applied is at the sole descretion of X and as a result there will never be consistancy in it's application.

Nolimitz

keep drinking that Kool-Aid.

Agree with everything you said. Just saying it's better than every job I've had before it and I've had a lot of jobs... With hazardous weather, slow down/pull over and don't get out of the truck until you feel safe doing so - wait as long as you need to. Safety above all.