New to the forum

Leftinbuilding

Hello everyone. I have been reading the Brown Cafe for a long time but just decided to join up today. I was a driver for 27+ years but moved inside as Porter about 5 years ago. Do I miss driving? Nope! Anyway, just decided to join up in case I want to speak my mind sometime.

trickpony1

I've always wondered what a porter does.
Did you become a porter because your body could no longer take driving or was it due to a work related injury?
I work out of a large hub (100+ feeder drivers) and I'm not sure I've ever heard of a porter position.
Are you in a smaller hub?
Sorry if I appear nosey.....I'm just exploring my options.
Thanks.

trickpony1

So would that mean that they work at night or during the day when all the pkg cars are gone?
Is this a job created by the company for an older/injured worker?
Maybe the reason I've never heard of the porter job is, at our large hub, we have PE employees for maintainence and "south of the border compadres" for cleaning.
I was just wondering in case a situation ever arose that I might have to resort to that.
Thanks.

Leftinbuilding

Just a fancy name for janitor. Also part of my job description entails "wad" (work as directed) so I spend a fair amount of time shuttling bulk stops, going out on breakdowns etc. Our bldg houses two centers with about 100 routes. I didn't think I could make very many more years on wheels so when this opened up I grabbed it. Amazing...work 32 years and you get to be janitor. :cool: Oh well, the hours are good.

ikoi62

where are you guys from?
im in the northeast..(jersey) and we have porters in every building..and to get the job all you have to do is put your name on the transfer, list if a job opens up and your next on the list you get it..and they are full time jobs only.and some buildings are just getting pas/edd and the transfer list is growing longer.

ups79

brownhound:then I guess if you were mexican, and delivering in mexico, as a mexican driver, you would refer to your porter as being 6'9" whitiey.

wily_old_vet

Brownie-Do you ever get tired of your dinner menu? It seems to me sticking your foot in your mouth so often would get tired.

In the hub I worked in there were no porter jobs. All janitorial work is contracted out.

retired2000

in the hub that i worked out of we did not have porters. the cleaning crew is hired out. the best job we have is in smalls. that is where most of the old timers go their last few years with the co. not everyone but, most.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
porter work is work that they cant find another name for. It is usually odd jobs, like sending the empty forever bags back to the main hubs, Cleaning up the rest of the damaged packages from the sort, on and on. We had a driver that bid on that type of job, wanted to spend more time with his children was the main reason. Took a 9 dollar an hour cut in pay though to do it.

Not for everyone. but then again, neither is driving.

d

ikoi62

dannyboy said:
porter work is work that they cant find another name for. It is usually odd jobs, like sending the empty forever bags back to the main hubs, Cleaning up the rest of the damaged packages from the sort, on and on. We had a driver that bid on that type of job, wanted to spend more time with his children was the main reason. Took a 9 dollar an hour cut in pay though to do it.

Not for everyone. but then again, neither is driving.

d
a porters job where we work has nothing to do with packages..they sweep the building and clean the offices and bathrooms..and they make about a $1.50 less then a driver and the hours are 530am-130pm or 530pm-130am and they get overtime too.
the job you describe is done by clerks in our area.