New Union Steward

By The Book

I agree but just like ur post said "contract language "what about the people who believe they are entitled to something that has no contractual backing or the language is clearly in the company's favor.
Follow the language first. Give an example if possible of the entitled ones.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I agree but just like ur post said "contract language "what about the people who believe they are entitled to something that has no contractual backing or the language is clearly in the company's favor.

If you tell the driver the way it is and he still doesn't believe you or wants you to make an exception, that is when you call your BA and have him deal with it.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Follow the language first. Give an example if possible of the entitled ones.

"What do you mean I'm getting a warning letter for missing a bunch of days during peak season without any kind of valid excuse? You're selling me out man, you're in bed with the company!"

"What do you mean supervisors aren't allowed to do my job for me just because I don't feel like it? It makes my day easier!"

"What do you mean I can't have a modified start time for personal reasons when the company refuses to do the same for anyone else in the classification? Why do you hate my family?"

"Why can't I call in and use vacation time like a sick day? Someone else got to do it like two years ago even though I can't tell you who.. so I should, too!"

Paraphrasing, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

22.34life

"What do you mean I'm getting a warning letter for missing a bunch of days during peak season without any kind of valid excuse? You're selling me out man, you're in bed with the company!"

"What do you mean supervisors aren't allowed to do my job for me just because I don't feel like it? It makes my day easier!"

"What do you mean I can't have a modified start time for personal reasons when the company refuses to do the same for anyone else in the classification? Why do you hate my family?"

"Why can't I call in and use vacation time like a sick day? Someone else got to do it like two years ago even though I can't tell you who.. so I should, too!"

Exactly.

By The Book

I get it....these things as you know will test you as a steward and slowly erode your ability to enforce it. The color changes from black and white to 50 shades of you know what.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I get it....these things as you know will test you as a steward and slowly erode your ability to enforce it. The color changes from black and white to 50 shades of you know what.

Wanted to clarify something as I realized I sounded a little jaded earlier.

I love being a steward; it's the best job in the :censored2:ing universe. I get my hands dirty, get to help people, and still get to dog cuss my manager when he pisses me off. What more could someone want in life?

By The Book

Wanted to clarify something as I realized I sounded a little jaded earlier.

I love being a steward; it's the best job in the :censored2:ing universe. I get my hands dirty, get to help people, and still get to dog cuss my manager when he pisses me off. What more could someone want in life?
Your in it for the right reasons. Reminds me sometimes to remember is it a gripe or a grievance.

22.34life

Look its a pain and it's a thankless "job" but somebody's gotta do it and when people ask why I say because when u can do something to help u do it.

ski or die

Ski or Die
The main reason I became a Steward was because our BA was in the company pocket and I was tired of seeing all of my fellow employees railroaded as well as myself. With what we were given in our contracts, I did my best to make sure it was followed. Wasn't easy at times. My fellow employees trusted me. We would go over the contract for their situation to see what could be done. It would help them understand what their options were.

Exo

Again... for the part time drivers, on car with drivers, doing yearly rides, safe work methods, on car observations, safety rides, accident and injury investigation, dispatching the drivers. Sounds an awful lot like On Car Sup. It was knda funny too, my BM called me an On Car Sup...funnier, FT On Car sups called me a PT on car sup. There were also a number of others in my district who dI'd the same job in other centers.

By The Book

Again... for the part time drivers, on car with drivers, doing yearly rides, safe work methods, on car observations, safety rides, accident and injury investigation, dispatching the drivers. Sounds an awful lot like On Car Sup. It was knda funny too, my BM called me an On Car Sup...funnier, FT On Car sups called me a PT on car sup. There were also a number of others in my district who dI'd the same job in other centers.
Small center?

Exo

That staff is CHSP, IE, TSG, screeners and security .. not including the ops management. I think there is an AP customer rep there too.

By The Book

That staff is CHSP, IE, TSG, screeners and security .. not including the ops management. I think there is an AP customer rep there too.
I liken your title to say a hybrid in vehicle terminology. All this talk about staffing is going nowhere, sorry for my question.