New UPS Driver - training / breaks

UPSquestions4

Hi guys, my husband became a seasonal driver, passed integrad 2 weeks ago. Has been training with a UPS driver for 2 weeks. My husband loves the job, he said it’s stressful but he likes being on the road, you guys would love him he’s a mans man, good guy and would never start trouble.

My question is when he trains with a certain UPS driver that has been training him majority of the time, he doesn’t get any breaks or lunch - is this normal? They take their lunch in the last hour at 6:30 before they have to be back at the shop at 7:30 because I guess they are required to? I get it - but my husband always feels like a failure when he trains with him, he doesn’t even let my husband stop to get a drink or go to the bathroom and they are together 10-11 hours a day. My husband would NEVER complain, just flows with it - I just see the difference in his confidence level etc when he trains with this ups driver, and I personally think not having even 5 minutes to sit and get organized and have a Gatorade is contributing to him feeling like that. Whenever he trains with other guys, they take their break and they love my husband and give him great confidence and they always finish on time.

Any advice would be appreciated, I know I’m gonna get some flack (I’ve read prior posts) and I’m ready for it but if there’s anyone that can maybe shed some light on it for me it would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Hi guys, my husband became a seasonal driver, passed integrad 2 weeks ago. Has been training with a UPS driver for 2 weeks. My husband loves the job, he said it’s stressful but he likes being on the road, you guys would love him he’s a mans man, good guy and would never start trouble.

My question is when he trains with a certain UPS driver that has been training him majority of the time, he doesn’t get any breaks or lunch - is this normal? They take their lunch in the last hour at 6:30 before they have to be back at the shop at 7:30 because I guess they are required to? I get it - but my husband always feels like a failure when he trains with him, he doesn’t even let my husband stop to get a drink or go to the bathroom and they are together 10-11 hours a day. My husband would NEVER complain, just flows with it - I just see the difference in his confidence level etc when he trains with this ups driver, and I personally think not having even 5 minutes to sit and get organized and have a Gatorade is contributing to him feeling like that. Whenever he trains with other guys, they take their break and they love my husband and give him great confidence and they always finish on time.

Any advice would be appreciated, I know I’m gonna get some flack (I’ve read prior posts) and I’m ready for it but if there’s anyone that can maybe shed some light on it for me it would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
He is a seasonal, they will abuse him.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
He is being trained by a brainwashed runner. Ask him if the driver's name is Dave and get back to us . He should take lunch in the middle of the day like a normal human.

UPSquestions4

He is being trained by a brainwashed runner. Ask him if the driver's name is Dave and get back to us . He should take lunch in the middle of the day like a normal human.

Thank you - it’s not Dave, I mean I know I don’t take a lunch but I work from home and I’m cool with it - I just think maybe this type of high stress job you would need at least 5 minutes to clear your brain. Thank you for answering.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Like I said.... the driver is a whipped dog and pays attention to a fictional report that says he should run, or he's scared of the dark. Tell your husband to pay no attention to him and take his breaks like he is supposed to when he gets out on his own.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

So the down-low of UPS culture is they will milk people for everything. Especially SEASONAL DRIVERS .
He should just work his way into the middle of the pack for now. Then after january layoffs, If he wants to stay, work PT until a FT PERMANANT position opens up if the union waitlist is acceptable.

Breaks lunches at average times , safety first. That is all.

And FYI. That "driver" training him is likely a management employee. Unionized workforce. Tell him to find actual drivers to take him under their wing instead.

UPSquestions4

So the down-low of UPS culture is they will milk people for everything. Especially SEASONAL DRIVERS .
He should just work his way into the middle of the pack for now. Then after january layoffs, If he wants to stay, work PT until a FT PERMANANT position opens up if the union waitlist is acceptable.

Breaks lunches at average times , safety first. That is all.

And FYI. That "driver" training him is likely a management employee. Unionized workforce. Tell him to find actual drivers to take him under their wing instead.

I think you are 10000% right. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me and for the MUCH NEEDED advice. Middle of the pack, got it. Thanks again.

rod

Retired 22 years
I sincerely hope your husband really isn't peeing his pants just because he's stuck with a runner-gunner. I will also say that once your husband gets out on his own the chances are good he will continue to skip his breaks just to try to keep management off his back. This is to be expected until he gets in the Union. At that time he will have to make a life altering decision on weather to be a runner-gunner his whole career or work at a safe speed and save his body. In the mean time tell him to not make waves at this point in his career but also don't be afraid to take bathroom breaks for gods sakes.

bumped

Delivering in the dark sucks. It really sucks when you haven't delivered the route for a couple of years. I don't take my lunch/breaks until the day is over. On my previous route that I had for 10 years I didn't care if was dark or not. I could drive to each address without a worry, and took my full lunch and breaks right before my pickups.