New UPS driver

UPSNL

Hi everyone, I'm on my second day of orientation for Full Time driver. We're located in St.John's NL, a brand new center. So I just want to say hi to everyone.

Never worked at UPS before. But I did just leave a major Canadian courier company. (You can guess, but I won't say)

Any advice about the job/orientation?

And anybody know where I can get some UPS socks that aren't 8 bucks a pair?! (Ridiculous!!!) So I don't have to sweat to death in those pants.

Thanks!
UPSNL

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Guys, keep in mind that the OP is from Canada.

Go in there with your eyes and ears open and your mind free of any preconceived notions of what the job entails.

UPSNL

Well I drove for this unnamed courier company for a year, and worked the warehouse for a roughly a year. It was high volume work, so I've got an idea how the business works and what's expected of me. Is UPS really THAT different from other companies?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well I drove for this unnamed courier company for a year, and worked the warehouse for a roughly a year. It was high volume work, so I've got an idea how the business works and what's expected of me. Is UPS really THAT different from other companies?

Take what was expected of you at Purolator and multiply it by 10.

UPSNL

What's expected of you, and what you can do with the time you're given are two different things. I find it hard to believe, not saying its false, that so much is being expected of me. I know what I am able to do, and I'm not going to break my body to push the limits. Maybe it sounds like I'm trying to argue or be rude, but I'm not. Sorry in advance if I am!

And one more thing. You mention 'OP' in a previous, what's it stand for?

rocket man

if you are wearing long pants you can wear white socks. just remember your sups are just people to . do the best you can and when you get on a route dont blowi it out just get better on it over time . if you start full tilt its hard to get better. no matter what you do today there is always gonna be more tomorrow.

UPSGUY72

Hi everyone, I'm on my second day of orientation for Full Time driver. We're located in St.John's NL, a brand new center. So I just want to say hi to everyone.

Never worked at UPS before. But I did just leave a major Canadian courier company. (You can guess, but I won't say)

Any advice about the job/orientation?

And anybody know where I can get some UPS socks that aren't 8 bucks a pair?! (Ridiculous!!!) So I don't have to sweat to death in those pants.

Thanks!
UPSNL

Good luck

https://www.twinhill.com/gensite/index.jsp?thClient=upscatalog

DS

Fenderbender
Not at all---you guys play by a different set of rules up there.

Not really,the rules are the same,but your contract is way more complicated.
UPSNL, welcome to our world .
I'm a driver in Toronto.You will have to decide yourself if you really want to do this job for the rest of your life.
You will be held accountable for production,making perfect service on time commits,and about 75 other things.
If you have an easy day,it's a fluke.I assume upstate guessed right about purolator.
You seem to know the basic routine so hey,you may even like it.
I'm going to St John NB for 2 weeks to drive this month,when the new hub opens.

DS

Fenderbender
BIGsurprisetoday :O !
All this time my center manager was calling it St John...he was a tad off (like usual):)
In reality,after looking at the hotel reservation....
St. Johns Nfld. holy ****!!!!!!!
how cool is that!!!
I'll be able to see big ben :)
They picked 3 drivers from Ontario and one from Quebec.
I wish I wish I liked the taste of fish:)

weird coincidence I chose that avatar