New UPS Logo

Overpaid Union Thug

That is exactly why she asked you to remove it.

Did you see the word "parody" in her logo?
So, you do concur that she didn't do something after telling me not to just because "she owns the place"?

And the word parody isn't in her logo. It's above it separately. It's no big deal but if there is a way for me to avoid the infringement BS and still use my avatar I'd like to do it.

Overpaid Union Thug

UPS monitors this forum and the last thing Cheryl wants to deal with is a phone call from UPS Legal.
I don't doubt that. What I am wondering is how the United Pot Smokers logo is any safer than what I had. Was it because it wasn't used as an avatar? Or something else? Like rubbing out the S in UPS was worse than changing UPS's meaning to United Pot Smokers? Or maybe because that was UPS's old logo? I'm wondering as someone who would like to fix my avatar and put it back up without some desk jockey in a cubicle in Atlanta doesn't having a hissy fit and taking it out on Cheryl.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Trademark parodies - NOLO

A trademark parody occurs when someone imitates a trademark in a manner that pokes fun at the mark. A newspaper called The San Francisco Chomical, meant to poke fun at The San Francisco Chronicle, is an example of a parody. Below are some specific rules for trademark parodies. Keep in mind the general rule that applies to both types of parodies: offensive parodies often trigger lawsuits. Therefore, weigh the legal consequences carefully before proceeding.

Generally speaking, a trademark parody is less likely to run into problems if it:

• Doesn’t compete. The use of the parody product does not directly compete with the trademark product.
  • Doesn’t confuse. The parody does not confuse consumers; they get the joke and do not believe the parody product comes from the same source as the trademarked goods.
  • Does parody. Not all humorous uses are parodies. To avoid trouble, the use should specifically poke fun at the trademark.

Overpaid Union Thug

@up
Trademark parodies - NOLO

A trademark parody occurs when someone imitates a trademark in a manner that pokes fun at the mark. A newspaper called The San Francisco Chomical, meant to poke fun at The San Francisco Chronicle, is an example of a parody. Below are some specific rules for trademark parodies. Keep in mind the general rule that applies to both types of parodies: offensive parodies often trigger lawsuits. Therefore, weigh the legal consequences carefully before proceeding.

Generally speaking, a trademark parody is less likely to run into problems if it:

• Doesn’t compete. The use of the parody product does not directly compete with the trademark product.
  • Doesn’t confuse. The parody does not confuse consumers; they get the joke and do not believe the parody product comes from the same source as the trademarked goods.
  • Does parody. Not all humorous uses are parodies. To avoid trouble, the use should specifically poke fun at the trademark.
So, according to that (particularly the first bullet item) mine was OK?

watdaflock?

I finally decided to change my avatar after so many years of rocking the Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas avatar.
Hunter S. Thompson was brilliant. After seeing his special section at the Rock and Roll HoF (for Rolling Stones magazine) I've enjoyed his writings even more.
Definitely one person I would have liked to gotten the chance to drink a beer with.

e/ - speaking of avatars, my brother got to drink a few beers with Bill Murray after a Cubs game. Bill just walked into one of the local bars a few blocks away.
Bill Murray was the quest broadcaster (7th inning stretch) while Harry Caray was out.
cubs-murray-57.jpg

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
@up

So, according to that (particularly the first bullet item) mine was OK?
I'm not a lawyer by in my opinion your avatar could be confused with the UPS logo since all you did was photoshop out the S.

Doesn’t confuse. The parody does not confuse consumers; they get the joke and do not believe the parody product comes from the same source as the trademarked goods.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm not a lawyer by in my opinion your avatar could be confused with the UPS logo since all you did was photoshop out the S.
It shouldn't be confusing but we do deliver to plenty of airheads that might be so it's fair to assume someone just surfing the web might come here and get confused. I don't have any photo shop type software (I just rubbed the S out using iPhoto) but if I did I could make it airhead proof.

That should be the new Logo. Their isn't "Service" anymore.

That's exactly what I was going for. But it looked too real. LOL

Last edited:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
That should be the new Logo. Their isn't "Service" anymore.

Anymore? As if this is something new. As driver in the 80's I said the same thing when I went out slammed and couldn't make the type of service I could have. As an on road sup in the 90's I had the same concerns... As a customer now we get text messages prior to a delivery, never had a UPS damage or misdelivery... Guess we're the lucky ones. :D

2013 Peak... Slammed and some crap service.

2014 Peak... Good service but less productive and too many people.

2015 Peak... The balance will be just right. lmao

It's all in your attitude the packages always get there, sometimes it's just more challenging. :angel:

Anymore? As if this is something new. As driver in the 80's I said the same thing when I went out slammed and couldn't make the type of service I could have. As an on road sup in the 90's I had the same concerns... As a customer now we get text messages prior to a delivery, never had a UPS damage or misdelivery... Guess we're the lucky ones. :D

2013 Peak... Slammed and some crap service.

2014 Peak... Good service but less productive and too many people.

2015 Peak... The balance will be just right. lmao

It's all in your attitude the packages always get there, sometimes it's just more challenging. :angel:
I also delivered in the late 80's.
Big difference now! Its embarrassing.