New UPSer in Tampa

Should I stay with a smaller Bayside center, or larger Acline center?

• Smaller

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Larger

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

Brown813

Hey guys. I have recently decided to make a switch over to UPS from FedEx Ground. For reason I’m sure you could already figure out. However I have my own personal goal of eventually becoming a full-time driver, much like 99% of everyone else. I am trying to figure out which warehouse would give me the best opportunity to eventually reach that goal. I have read/heard that smaller warehouses are much more difficult to advance in, due to the smaller size of the fleet, let alone the number of preloaders looking to reach that same goal, with a limited number of trucks.

Is anyone else here from Tampa? If so, would you mind providing some insight as to which warehouse may give me the best opportunity? I have currently been applying for the Bayside hub, but I stopped by the main hub in Tampa off of Acline Dr. East, and it appears that it is a much, MUCH larger operation. I spoke to a UPS driver out on my FXG route the other week who said I should just stay at Bayside, but I had another tell me to go to Acline.

Even if you’re not from Tampa, but have any valuable insight on any of the above, your responses are still very much welcome on this thread. I posted a poll along with the thread for a visual representation of the conversation within the thread.

Thanks all!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Your position is not unique.
Given how UPS works, I'd say go small.
You can become "lost" working a larger building.
Meaning that no matter how hard you work so few in mgt will notice you.
That is why a smaller building is better.
In a larger building once you begin driving, you could be bounced around daily on different routes.
While a smaller place will give you the opportunity to learn different routes slowly.
Route knowledge is the key to survival.

JustDeliverIt

Hey guys. I have recently decided to make a switch over to UPS from FedEx Ground. For reason I’m sure you could already figure out. However I have my own personal goal of eventually becoming a full-time driver, much like 99% of everyone else. I am trying to figure out which warehouse would give me the best opportunity to eventually reach that goal. I have read/heard that smaller warehouses are much more difficult to advance in, due to the smaller size of the fleet, let alone the number of preloaders looking to reach that same goal, with a limited number of trucks.

Is anyone else here from Tampa? If so, would you mind providing some insight as to which warehouse may give me the best opportunity? I have currently been applying for the Bayside hub, but I stopped by the main hub in Tampa off of Acline Dr. East, and it appears that it is a much, MUCH larger operation. I spoke to a UPS driver out on my FXG route the other week who said I should just stay at Bayside, but I had another tell me to go to Acline.

Even if you’re not from Tampa, but have any valuable insight on any of the above, your responses are still very much welcome on this thread. I posted a poll along with the thread for a visual representation of the conversation within the thread.

Thanks all!

Advantages in both cases. @Baba gounj laid out some for a smaller hub. But it will take longer, sometimes years longer. I work in a larger building (2 centers, 180+ routes daily) for my area. Have guys going FT in under a year. Smaller buildings around us (within an hour with 20ish routes daily) takes years. We have people that live minutes from the smaller buildings that drive to ours because they can go FT a lot faster. Depends what your looking for, but I would say go to the larger building with more opportunities.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Something you should find out is, are these buildings in the same local union or different locals? If the same local you could bid between them later on once you go full time. Different locals and you will be stuck forever.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider

Thanks all!
Both Tampa and Bayside are tiny operations. Consider moving to Orlando or Jacksonville.

Brown813

Your position is not unique.
Given how UPS works, I'd say go small.
You can become "lost" working a larger building.
Meaning that no matter how hard you work so few in mgt will notice you.
That is why a smaller building is better.
In a larger building once you begin driving, you could be bounced around daily on different routes.
While a smaller place will give you the opportunity to learn different routes slowly.
Route knowledge is the key to survival.
I’m not entirely worried about not knowing routes. I’ve been raised in Tampa and know just about how very damn street here except for the new neighborhoods they’re building everywhere lol

Brown813

Advantages in both cases. @Baba gounj laid out some for a smaller hub. But it will take longer, sometimes years longer. I work in a larger building (2 centers, 180+ routes daily) for my area. Have guys going FT in under a year. Smaller buildings around us (within an hour with 20ish routes daily) takes years. We have people that live minutes from the smaller buildings that drive to ours because they can go FT a lot faster. Depends what your looking for, but I would say go to the larger building with more opportunities.
this is pretty much my mindset as well. I live closer to the smaller hub but I’m simply looking for the most opportunity. The larger hub is about 45 mins to an hour away. But I don’t mind the drive.

Brown813

Something you should find out is, are these buildings in the same local union or different locals? If the same local you could bid between them later on once you go full time. Different locals and you will be stuck forever.
Interesting perspective. Thank you!

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Rent is no more or less expensive in Tampa than it is in Orlando or Jacksonville. Try looking into Pinellas then if you don’t want to move.

PPH_over_9000

Rent is no more or less expensive in Tampa than it is in Orlando or Jacksonville. Try looking into Pinellas then if you don’t want to move.

To echo @Red Devil , are they all under the same local?

If they are, OP should apply at whichever building would give put him on the quickest potential track to become full-time, and then jump through whatever hoops needed to transfer to a building closer to home. I'm not sure how easy that would be but I've been under the impression that it's relatively simple to transfer within your local.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
One warning first.
No one knows what the future is going to be, especially at UPS.
Many have gone down the same path as you.
And quite a few changed their minds about driving.
Keep an open mind while working at UPS. ( and keep track of all your hours worked )

Brown813

One warning first.
No one knows what the future is going to be, especially at UPS.
Many have gone down the same path as you.
And quite a few changed their minds about driving.
Keep an open mind while working at UPS. ( and keep track of all your hours worked )
I already drive for FXG, 12 hours a day for $150/day flat. I love the job- hate the contractors and lack of financial growth/stability. I’m certain about driving! 💪🤙

john chesney

Thanks all!
I don’t know about all that but you better powder those balls down there in that heat

RMR46

Just out of curiosity? What makes you think you just pick any building you want? I understand FedEx ground has no Union. When you get your job let us know what building you're at just out of curiosity. I'm not sure if you're a troll or :censored2:bag and that usually is about the same thing

Philipjfry

I already drive for FXG, 12 hours a day for $150/day flat. I love the job- hate the contractors and lack of financial growth/stability. I’m certain about driving! 💪🤙

Bruh I wouldn’t do this job for 150 a day for 12 hours. You could make more at McDonald’s. What the eff. Also what building you go to?