New Video! Teamsters 1997 UPS Strike

Thebrownblob

That’ll be the next time @Future gets laid.
1659318915245.gif

qdg2

I was looking to seniority list recently and there really isn't too many guys that are still around from the strike of 97
How about EARLY 80's?......97....lol. Hell, I had 15+ years in 97....

Believe it or not, plenty of folks in my district above me in total company seniority. I've got dozens ahead of me in Feeders because of classification changes.

A lot of strike talk without a proposal meeting yet? Don’t be fools.
Hotheads. Fools? Maybe.

UPS giving concessions? Removing technology? Removing the ability for PVD's? 22.4's for weekend delivery? Dream on.

I'll walk if we're told to. 2 weeks last time.....it wasn't worth it......the damage we did to our growth, rep. Seniority gains were very slow for years after.......

We'll see.

rod

Retired 22 years
They kept saying the Teamsters were more divided back in 1997. I would disagree. We were a tight group. VERY FEW crossed a picket line from what I saw. NOBODY did at my Center. The guys all got along and did things together even OFF the clock. We helped each other build garages, move to new houses and took family vacations together. We, NOT THE COMPANY, organized fishing contests (winter and summer), bowling tournaments, golf contests, trap shoots and the wives even organized Christmas / New Years parties. I don't see ANY of that happening today. Nobody even stops for a beer after work.

Thebrownblob

They kept saying the Teamsters were more divided back in 1997. I would disagree. We were a tight group. VERY FEW crossed a picket line from what I saw. NOBODY did at my Center. The guys all got along and did things together even OFF the clock. We helped each other build garages, move to new houses and took family vacations together. We, NOT THE COMPANY, organized fishing contests (winter and summer), bowling tournaments, golf contests, trap shoots and the wives even organized Christmas / New Years parties. I don't see ANY of that happening today. Nobody even stops for a beer after work.
I agree with the beer after work thing we used to do it every Wednesday

rod

Retired 22 years
I agree with the beer after work thing we used to do it every Wednesday
Any night after work and most Saturday afternoons you could usually count on running into someone from work at our chosen saloon that was located a couple blocks from the UPS building. We had guys who stopped EVERY night after work for a couple or so I was told.

Thebrownblob

The over 70 strike !!!
Some walked , some locals worked !!
Local 25 ,, we walked
Any night after work and most Saturday afternoons you could usually count on running into someone from work at our chosen saloon that was located a couple blocks from the UPS building. We had guys who stopped EVERY night after work for a couple or so I was told.
The hours are a lot longer now, which is another problem that UPS has managed to destroy camaraderie

rod

Retired 22 years
The hours are a lot longer now, which is another problem that UPS has managed to destroy camaraderie
Maybe some places but I know my old center is on my way home and some nights at like 6:30 - 7:00 I go by and it looks like 95% of the trucks are back and parked for the evening. We worked until then most all the time too. We VERY seldom made Happy Hour.

oldngray

nowhere special
Yes, when u think back. No cell phones, very few had a home computer. One driver did and his wife would stop by the strike line and tell us what they were saying on the worldwide web.
Most people had home computers but little online presence. Many cell phones but no smart phones.

badpal

Most people had home computers but little online presence. Many cell phones but no smart phones.
Well i pretty far out in the sticks, not sure we had any coverage then for phones. I do remember after 10 or 12 days or business agent drove 150 miles to see us, Told us to pray. A lot of folks getting worried about that next mortgage payment. thankfully we did have a company in town that gave guys a short term job, That settled down thier nervous wives

Thebrownblob

It’s hard to imagine this but I believe the iPhone was first launched in 2008, there were a few smart phones before that but it really took off after iPhone was launched, it’s crazy how fast things change

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Yes, when u think back. No cell phones, very few had a home computer. One driver did and his wife would stop by the strike line and tell us what they were saying on the worldwide web.

That 1997 UPS strike was on the old television networks 24/7. It lead on every broadcast for over 2 weeks, both sides had their mouthpieces. I remember that one of the pro company analyst got busted for stealing shortly after the strike.

On the Union side the networks seem to like interviewing the stereotypical (teamster) 🦧 on the line. Funny because most of the package car drivers and the part timers were in college or had a degree, some even had their masters.

RoswellHub

He was referring to the locals not the members. The locals that were Hoffa supports wanted Ron Carey to fail.

HavenoEDD

We have a couple of guys retiring soon who were involved in ‘97. I came just after. They say the same thing when they are asked about next year. They don’t see the united front and question the newer generation of driver. It’s a different world but I tend to agree.
Nothing happens after work, everyone goes their way and rinse and repeat.
We’ve talked about a friendly wager as to who in our center will or try to cross the picket line…which is sad but in my experience the newer driver doesn’t understand the union, what it offers and what it protects. I blame the locals for that but I hope that if we strike its quick. The old timers have to pay for their second homes and the younger folks will have loved ones questioning and bills to pay. We’ve told them to start saving but at $20 an hour they all say it’s tough especially with the cost of things currently.
Going to be an interesting 12 months….

rod

Retired 22 years
We have a couple of guys retiring soon who were involved in ‘97. I came just after. They say the same thing when they are asked about next year. They don’t see the united front and question the newer generation of driver. It’s a different world but I tend to agree.
Nothing happens after work, everyone goes their way and rinse and repeat.
We’ve talked about a friendly wager as to who in our center will or try to cross the picket line…which is sad but in my experience the newer driver doesn’t understand the union, what it offers and what it protects. I blame the locals for that but I hope that if we strike its quick. The old timers have to pay for their second homes and the younger folks will have loved ones questioning and bills to pay. We’ve told them to start saving but at $20 an hour they all say it’s tough especially with the cost of things currently.
Going to be an interesting 12 months….
2 or 3 weeks MAX.