New workhorse truck question

Brownsfan

We got a new 500 workhorse truck and the suspention on this thing is so stiff. It feels like everyday is a fight and I'm losing. My question is will these trucks overtime soften up? The diesel rig I was driving feels like a cloud compared to this rockhorse.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I doubt it. I've driven high mileage Workhorse bread trucks and they're just as bad. It's either the springs or the shocks, or as I'm starting to think now, both.

meo27

Now you know not to buy, if you are shopping for a motorhome, Workhorse is company that build motorhome. M'y guess is that our body that we put on those frame are too light for the suspension.

bbsam

Staff member
If it's a 500, could also have to do with the very short wheel base combined with a relatively high GVWR.

JustTired

free at last.......
Just like the old GM 500's.....they'll figure it out after several have been rolled over and/or bounced into the ditch. The only good 500 was the Ford 500!

tracker2762

When I first got a new wheel horse, the front wheels would shake every time you hit a bump. It got worse as the tires began to wear. If you take a look at the front end of these you'll notice that they have been modified to stop this from happening. It took a couple years to do this and fixed most of the problem. Maybe the stiffness will ease up as you break it in.

Big Babooba

I've driven both a Workhorse P51 & P57. The P51 was a piece of crap. The P57 was much better. Both could use better springs in my opinion. Maybe they could take some lessons from their corporate cousin - International.

browniehound

The gas pedal and the turning radius is nice as well. But the small steering wheel is slightly annoying.

Agreed. But I like it better than the very large steering wheels on the mid to late 90's model truck. Its like a Bus steering wheel. Can't believe I'm complaining about steering wheels when I couldn't get a power steering vehicle for years.

Also, someone told me UPS is junking all non-power steering, high step trucks after next peak. Any truth to this? I'll believe it when I see it!

iowa boy

Also, someone told me UPS is junking all non-power steering, high step trucks after next peak. Any truth to this? I'll believe it when I see it!

I think we have a better chance of getting the turkeys back next year before they decide to junk all the mid 1980s technology.:happy-very:

JustTired

free at last.......
It's better than an old p500

Front ends are a problem on those models

That's why the old (late 70s) Ford 500s were so good. They had independent twin I-beam suspension in front. 70 MPH down a bumpy country road and rode like a Cadillac. They actually must have test drove the vehicles back then in all kinds of road conditions. Now, if they do anything, it's probably a mile or so down an interstate.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
That's why the old (late 70s) Ford 500s were so good. They had independent twin I-beam suspension in front. 70 MPH down a bumpy country road and rode like a Cadillac. They actually must have test drove the vehicles back then in all kinds of road conditions. Now, if they do anything, it's probably a mile or so down an interstate.

The may have ridden a bit smoother, but with no power steering and the turning radius of an aircraft carrier they were utterly brutal to drive. Try doing a 15-point turnaround on a narrow gravel driveway in one. They also had totally inadequate leg room for anybody over 3 feet tall. When I drove one, my knees were bent out sideways around that little Pinto steering wheel and I had to press the pedals with the sides of my feet. I felt like I was getting an exam with my feet up in the stirrups at an OB/GYN. The seat was pretty much an upholstered board, with an inch or two of dryer lint for padding. And the stick shift was of the optimum height and position to whack me in the nut sack every time I got up to open the bulkhead door. These vehicles were pure crap and they should have been sent straight from the assembly line to the crusher.

JustTired

free at last.......
I agree with the turning radius and the seat. I can also see that if you were above average height, that could be a problem. But when in good working order, the steering was easier than most. And on bumpy, potholed roads they didn't try to throw you into the ditch like the GMs did. They didn't get stuck in the snow quite as easily , either. Everybody has their opinion of certain vehicles. I know I sure hated it when I lost that Ford. Especially since it was replaced with a 700. It would have been nice with the same amount of work as I was doing in the 500, but as we all know, the more room you have, the more pkgs and stops you get. Anyway, that Ford was the only pc I hated losing.