New Years Eve

MaceFremonti

Walked into Feeder dispatch this morning to get my keys and there is a list of random drivers who are working tomorrow. Veterans, rookies, shifters all of whom thought they were off tomorrow. Only 24 hours notice the day before.....WTH?

ALOT of unhappy Feedahs!:mad:

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Walked into Feeder dispatch this morning to get my keys and there is a list of random drivers who are working tomorrow. Veterans, rookies, shifters all of whom thought they were off tomorrow. Only 24 hours notice the day before.....WTH?

Sent using BrownCafe App
2/3 of our center has a start time for tomorrow. I heard a lot of surprised guys this morning but no one really mad. We get double time pay and the 1st off. Plus I would bet most everyone will be off in time to celebrate the new year.

Raiderfan

They're saying they need 30 something volunteers for New Year's Eve Day (Tuesday) in my center and so far only 1 person has signed the sheet. I was gonna sign for the time and a half + holiday pay, but if they force junior up I'll be forced anyway so no point in signing I guess.

Anyone working Tuesday?
I am on the bottom of the list and they are forcing me to work. I want to know where in the contract does it say we HAVE to work on a holiday (New Years Eve) that they deemed a holiday in their contract book on page 218! How can they force us, if anyone can answer please do!!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

Sent using BrownCafe App
We didn't even get 24 hours notice. I was messaged around lunch.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

JL 0513

Sent using BrownCafe App
Why are people surprised that Dec.31st is a work day? Since when is the 31st a Holiday? Just because some employers give it off or pay "Holiday" pay doesn't make it a Holiday. January 1st is the Holiday.

Wouldn't Christmas Eve be a more important day than New Years Eve?

I always wondered why UPS pays New Years eve as a Holiday but Christmas Eve is just any old day.

On another note, it seems that central states get doubletime plus holiday, while east and west coast states get time and a half of even straight time plus holiday. So the higher cost of living states get paid less than the higher cost coasts. Makes perfect sense.

Why are people surprised that Dec.31st is a work day? Since when is the 31st a Holiday? Just because some employers give it off or pay "Holiday" pay doesn't make it a Holiday. January 1st is the Holiday.

Because it has been contractually negotiated as such.

To some. If you're one then get it contractually negotiated as such.

Inthegame

I am on the bottom of the list and they are forcing me to work. I want to know where in the contract does it say we HAVE to work on a holiday (New Years Eve) that they deemed a holiday in their contract book on page 218! How can they force us, if anyone can answer please do!!
National Master Article 40

Johney

I always wondered why UPS pays New Years eve as a Holiday but Christmas Eve is just any old day.
Maybe because Christmas is a religious holiday that not all celebrate. Yet New Years eve is not and most do celebrate.

JL 0513

Maybe because Christmas is a religious holiday that not all celebrate. Yet New Years eve is not and most do celebrate.

That has nothing to do with it.

We're comparing "eve's". Let's look at the 2 corresponding holidays - Christmas and New Year's Day. Christmas is far bigger. Almost everyone has Christmas off. Millions of people, however, work New Years.
Tons of people don't even do anything for New Year's.

oldupsman

On another note, it seems that central states get doubletime plus holiday, while east and west coast states get time and a half of even straight time plus holiday. So the higher cost of living states get paid less than the higher cost coasts. Makes perfect sense.
I always looked at it as being off New Years Eve is kind of pay back for having to work Christmas Eve.

That's exactly what it is. It was an old contract issue from the early 70's. UPS always wanted us to work Christmas Eve so the
concession was we would get New Years eve instead. But we never started working it until NDA started.

opie

Next time try to schedule your vacation during this week so you can avoid being 'forced' to come in. If you're just a PTer then there is probably nothing they can do to you, unless you regularly drive during the AM during the week.

JL 0513

That's exactly what it is. It was an old contract issue from the early 70's. UPS always wanted us to work Christmas Eve so the
concession was we would get New Years eve instead. But we never started working it until NDA started.

This seems like the most reasonable explanation. Makes sense. Thanks.

Almost half the drivers in my center have to work tomorrow (28 out of about 62). Therefore, it's only a day off for those with decades of seniority.

JL 0513

Next time try to schedule your vacation during this week so you can avoid being 'forced' to come in. If you're just a PTer then there is probably nothing they can do to you, unless you regularly drive during the AM during the week.

Don't you loose holiday pay when you take a vacation week during one? Isn't it the rule that you must work the day before or the day after a holiday to receive the 8 hour pay? And naturally, you loose that extra day off.

For these reasons, I could never understand why some take vacation over holidays unless they want to go away for that particular week.