Next Contract vote...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
A NO vote will cancel out someone's YES vote.
A NON Vote allows someone's yes vote to exist.

Fairly simple concept….

Granted.

But it was not like the Upstate New York Pension plan....

Where a non-vote was literally considered a yes vote.

It was not last and final and UPS would be royally screwed if 50,000 of us were to strike.

But, the 54% of the members that voted no didn't have the ability to strike.

The bottom line is.... the voter participation was an embarrassment.

When a pitiful 120K members couldn't even bother to be involved in their own

contract, what did you think would happen ?

-Bug-

mjjlohn

To be fair you guys are skewing participants counts by including part timers and 0-2 year employees.

I’d be interested to see the vote percentage participation broken down by job classification.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
To be fair you guys are skewing participants counts by including part timers and 0-2 year employees.

I’d be interested to see the vote percentage participation broken down by job classification.

HAHAHA, BUG and his coneys would :censored2: themselves if the had to reveal all the numbers!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The union should bring in iPads and make teamsters vote, we all know how ups does this for their survey. We can get a near 100% vote if teamsters would vote at work, before or after a PCM.

How's about we just take initiative. Meet people in the parking lot with tablets and baseball bats. Ask if they'd like to use one, or see a few creative ways the other can be used.

F

Frankie's Friend

This is only 1/5 of the membership, or 20%

Nowhere near enough to "get a better deal."
24% or about 1/4 of the eligible membership. Do the math. A few percent more on both sides (3.4% total) and then the union would've had to go back to the table. The company was waiting there already.
UPSRising? Sure was.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What do you expect from a bargaining unit that is 65% transient part time employees, a classification that has been sold down the river for the last 20 years???

They're only sold down the river because they let themselves get sold down the river by not voting.

But, no, I didn't expect less.

710 steward

How would you "make" them vote ?

If you are being paid to do it.... why not take a company survey ?

It's bad enough, that people couldn't mark a ballot and put the pre-paid envelope

in the mailbox. Now, the IBT made it easier with the online convenience....

And people still complain.

The IBT made it so easy.

But yet, the members dropped the ball by not voting.

The company knows it's employee's.

Afraid of management.... and their own shadow.

-Bug-

The days of career(involved) employees are almost over. They even teach in school that most people will have several jobs in their lifetime. This is one I whole heartedly disagree with you on. Maybe if Hoffa took an approach other than knee pads and a napkin Teamsters would feel inspired to vote as opposed to being ignored and being made to feel as if they are a nuisance.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
I see where back on the whole arguement of the imposed contract crap, it's over Hoffa will be gone and hopefully better days ahead. His legacy is tarnished and the Teamsters only gave more leverage to the company then to its members. Fin

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I see where back on the whole arguement of the imposed contract crap, it's over Hoffa will be gone and hopefully better days ahead. His legacy is tarnished and the Teamsters only gave more leverage to the company then to its members. Fin

No we're not.

We are on the whole members not voting issue.

And this can come into play in 5 years no matter who replaces Hoffa.

Even if the "new" leader does not agree with the contract, UPS can force a vote on it, and the IBT Constitution is not changing.

The contract will be enforced if we cannot get enough people to vote.

Start early. Get people informed. Get people involved. Get people to vote.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
No we're not.

We are on the whole members not voting issue.

And this can come into play in 5 years no matter who replaces Hoffa.

Even if the "new" leader does not agree with the contract, UPS can force a vote on it, and the IBT Constitution is not changing.

The contract will be enforced if we cannot get enough people to vote.

Start early. Get people informed. Get people involved. Get people to vote.
....and/or amend the IBT Constitution at the next Convention in 2021 to reflect the reality of the transient part time work force that comprises 65% of our membership at UPS???

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
....and/or amend the IBT Constitution at the next Convention in 2021 to reflect the reality of the transient part time work force that comprises 65% of our membership at UPS???

I seriously doubt the elected delegates would support an amendment, just to

accommodate UPS Teamsters. And how many delegates are even from UPS ?

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I seriously doubt the elected delegates would support an amendment, just to

accommodate UPS Teamsters. And how many delegates are even from UPS ?

-Bug-
What members, from what craft or contract, does the ridiculous, aniquated, 50%/two-thirds rule "accommodate"???

....a rule originally ill conceived during the dark, organized crime era of the Teamsters, that has already been watered down once, during a previous "reform era" in the 1990's.

Could it be the rule isn't designed to serve the membership at all, rather a failed Negotiating Committe and IBT EBoard???

~Bbbl~™

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What members, from what craft or contract, does the ridiculous, aniquated, 50%/two-thirds rule "accommodate" ?

I could speculate about a myriad of reasons for it.

....a rule originally ill conceived during the dark, organized crime era of the Teamsters, that has already been watered down once, during a previous "reform era" in the 1990's.

Ron Carey and TDU were directly involved with it.

So....

Could it be the rule isn't designed to serve the membership at all, rather a failed Negotiating Committe and IBT EBoard ?

(Certain) UPS members can cry and bitch all they want.

Great job, on only 22% of the members voting in the "strike authorization".

That's a big hand, to take to the table. (not)

Thanks.... TDU.

-Bug-