Nine month disciplinary window

Rack em

Made the Podium
Its very much a regional issue. Where im at, they count up occurances within a rolling 9 month window.
The company has 10 days to issue discipline. Yes all infractions are included but you cannot be disciplined based on combined infractions. Progressive discipline applies to everything.

brown_trousers

The company has 10 days to issue discipline. Yes all infractions are included but you cannot be disciplined based on combined infractions. Progressive discipline applies to everything.
And to make it even more complex, state and local laws can supercede the disciplinary progression.

In portland we have whats called "portland sick time". Extra sick hours given to us, to comply with a new law passed in portland, with the disclaimer that they cant in any way be counted toward discipline. Its basically a freeby sick day with no consequences.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Yes all infractions are included but you cannot be disciplined based on combined infractions.

That's a slippery slope, to say it can't happen.

I've seen drivers discharged and the company introduce everything within

the last 9 months.... with the stated position of "overall job methods".

-Bug-

oldngray

nowhere special

-Bug-
They will dig up everything in the drivers file even if its a not at fault to attempt to paint a history of bad behavior.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
They will dig up everything in the drivers file even if its a not at fault to attempt to paint a history of bad behavior.

I've seen the company, be allowed to introduce a drivers accident and injury history

beyond the 9 month period.... as long as it didn't show discipline.

-Bug-

blakerben

I thought you had ten days to file a grievance against UPS, but UPS has nine months to write you up or do some other kind of discipline?

542thruNthru

I thought you had ten days to file a grievance against UPS, but UPS has nine months to write you up or do some other kind of discipline?

I think you're a little confused. First you should check your contract for the amount of time you have to file a grievance. Many people think it's only 10 days because the company has 10 days to discipline and they tell us we have the same. In my area we have 30 days to file.

The company has 10 days to discipline you and that progressive discipline stays in effect for 9 months (This time frame I've seen on here can differ slightly.) So if you get a warning letter for attendance and call out again in 3 months. The progressive discipline would move forward. If you call out again after 9 months they would have to start all over.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I think you're a little confused. First you should check your contract for the amount of time you have to file a grievance. Many people think it's only 10 days because the company has 10 days to discipline and they tell us we have the same. In my area we have 30 days to file.

The company has 10 days to discipline you and that progressive discipline stays in effect for 9 months (This time frame I've seen on here can differ slightly.) So if you get a warning letter for attendance and call out again in 3 months. The progressive discipline would move forward. If you call out again after 9 months they would have to start all over.
We have only 5 days to file from the date the violation happens, but the company gets 10 days to issue discipline.

Rack em

Made the Podium
That's something you guys need to be asking for doing proposals. Make a mental note of it for next contract. 5 days is ridiculous.
It would be good to make it longer, but I also don't see the need to wait to file? If you're going to grieve it then grieve it so it gets resolved faster. Waiting up to 30 days seems counter productive.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

-Bug-
That would not be proper if it were not the same specific "method" repeatedly....and a textbook "point of order", no???

....if there is such a thing anymore?

At my State Panel, that would be a result of an inept Business Agent....or a Union Chair that is entrenched in a quid pro quo relationship with the UPS Labor Manager presenting for the Company.

Sounds like the room that I end up in every time I go to Panel.

This Union Chair presides over my grievances at the Panel, then goes home to deal with the same Labor Manager that presides over my Local.

Talk about a classic case of "conflict of interest"???

Last edited:
A

Article 3

That would not be proper if it were not the same specific "method" repeatedly....and a textbook "point of order", no???

....if there is such a thing anymore?

At my State Panel, that would be a result of an inept Business Agent....or a Union Chair that is entrenched in a quid pro quo relationship with the UPS Labor Manager presenting for the Company.

Sounds like the room that I end up in every time I go to Panel.

This Union Chair presides over my grievances at the Panel, then goes home to deal with the same Labor Manager that presides over my Local.

Talk about a classic case of "conflict of interest"???
The same one that two weeks ago argued to give a new warning letter of one day suspension to a driver when the original one was untimely and the company kept him from working for three days when he just crimped an awning.

Back to the same old games and you are right @Bubblehead there's a problem with this situation. A large problem.

The good ol boys club is alive and not so well.

Last edited by a moderator: