No days off

mikeb

tnbrown
Last week our center manager told all the drivers at our PCM that our center volume had increased almost 10% from last year. They,ve hired a couple of drivers, but not enough. So he said that starting in Jan there will be no more days off because of the workload. You can only take your scheduled vac time. So instead of hiring more drivers, they want to stick it to everybody else. I smell something fishy going on. Dont know if it has anything to do with the upcoming contract or not. Any ideas?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Last week our center manager told all the drivers at our PCM that our center volume had increased almost 10% from last year. I smell something fishy going on. Dont know if it has anything to do with the upcoming contract or not. Any ideas?

None. I wouldn't be surprised if your volume has risen 10%, though. I'd guess its 10-20% in my HUB. Talk about rocking. Our Twilight Sort is being murdered nightly. -Rocky

Brownnblue

Last week our center manager told all the drivers at our PCM that our center volume had increased almost 10% from last year. They,ve hired a couple of drivers, but not enough. So he said that starting in Jan there will be no more days off because of the workload. You can only take your scheduled vac time. So instead of hiring more drivers, they want to stick it to everybody else. I smell something fishy going on. Dont know if it has anything to do with the upcoming contract or not. Any ideas?

Uh, don't you have optionals or sick time?

Hangingon

Drivers will generally abide by that for a few weeks. But after weeks of getting off at 8 pm or later, no request 8's (they are routinely disregarded in our center) and no time off everyone just starts calling in. Puts Ctr mgm't in an even worse situation then hiring a few extra drivers, but I'm sure they already know this.

A

Aolioli

Drivers will generally abide by that for a few weeks. But after weeks of getting off at 8 pm or later, no request 8's (they are routinely disregarded in our center) and no time off everyone just starts calling in. Puts Ctr mgm't in an even worse situation then hiring a few extra drivers, but I'm sure they already know this.

It's September. 99% of people here don't have any sick days or personal days left.

You get a certain number - not unlimited.

You get NO "late" days.

We have a number of people each year that can't count and think they can "call out" anytime they want. They can't.

Do the math. (FYI - 8 hour request goes the way of the Dodo next contract - just watch.)

In 22 years I fired at least three dozen Big Mighty Teamsters for attendance issues alone.

They stayed fired. Sucks to be you.

Get over yourself and stop propagating "advice" that's going to get your buddies fired too.

upsgrunt

You know, we are always getting told things to the effect that each new 50 packages equals 1 new full time job-now that volume is up (every bit of 10 to 20 percent in our center) UPS acts like it is an inconvenience that they should put on more drivers and part-timers. Looks to me like they would embrace the increase in volume and be happy to accommodate the need for more employees; instead, the increase is treated like a passing "problem" that we all just have to work together to get through. Seems to me that we bust ass to keep customers happy and get the volume and then get rewarded with more work and threats of "no days off". You'd think they would understand why the "turn in sales leads or else" push gets such a cool reception- it just means more work!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
(FYI - 8 hour request goes the way of the Dodo next contract - just watch.)

In 22 years I fired at least three dozen Big Mighty Teamsters for attendance issues alone.

First, I'm curious why you think the 8 hour request will become history with this contract?? I might be able to see it if there were more stringent protections from excessive overtime but I can't see that happening.

About the attendance issue....I can't say I blame you for firing those Big Mighty Teamsters for their attendance. I'd fire 'em, too. Then again, I'm not known for having patience with the SAME lazy sacks that call in every Monday or Friday. I'm behind you on those terminations. -Rocky

DS

Fenderbender
(FYI - 8 hour request goes the way of the Dodo next contract - just watch.
Welcome to the browncafe
You fired over 36 people for attendance issues alone?
Wow thats something to be proud of.
Were you on commission?
If karma works the way it should, in the future,
it just may end up sucking to be you.

Brownnblue

It's September. 99% of people here don't have any sick days or personal days left.

You get NO "late" days.

We have a number of people each year that can't count and think they can "call out" anytime they want. They can't.

Do the math. (FYI - 8 hour request goes the way of the Dodo next contract - just watch.)

Get over yourself and stop propagating "advice" that's going to get your buddies fired too.

Ooohhh, a post that calls for a moderate response; I'm not known for this so bear with me.

I did do the math; here it is mid September and I have two personal days left. Right away this tells me your post lacks the quality needed to make your point. As I read on, I realized that you are simply a stereotypical numbers oriented manager who uses fear & intimidation as a substitute for any kind of managerial wherewithal. If you fired all those employees solely on the basis of attendance, I am wondering the overall cost of losing these trained, oriented drivers only to have to break in and train a group of off the street hires, who by the way I am sure had the same degree of contempt for you that your other workers had.

By the same token, it is no secret that some drivers do abuse the absenteeism policies set forth by the company. There is no doubt that it is bad for morale to constantly have to pick up the slack for a driver who is out for an unacceptable number of days without a good reason; it also makes it more difficult for drivers who need time off for legitimate reasons to get said time off. It is also tough to swallow the same drivers being sent home on fat manning days just because more junior drivers know that certain route or because they are "on the ins" with management.

This is the kind of issue that a quality management individual would take on as a challenge; it would take some hard work to try to get everything working as best as it can. Quite obviously, a trolling curmudgeon like Aolioli is not that individual. I would be interested to see what a management individual who actually treats his/her employees with dignity & respect has to say about this issue.

mikeb

tnbrown

You get NO "late" days.

Aolioli: just so u understand, our center manager said "starting in Jan no time off". That will be starting a new year when everyone has a fresh set of vac, option and sick days. Why he said this, i have no idea. By the way, if im out of option and/or sick days and i need off for whatever reason, i simply pick up the phone and call in. im sick of asking off for a day even far in advance and getting the run around. i learned early on that the best way to get a day off is to call in.

tieguy

Banned
Mike B I think what your center manger meant or at least I hope he meant was no more code 26 request offs. Contactually your entitled to take optional holidays , vacations and sick days in whatever quanity called for by your supplement. The code 26 is an unpaid day off request. What some drivers do is try to take code 26 days off during the winter when no one is trying to get off and save their optionals for the summer.

mikeb

tnbrown
Mike B I think what your center manger meant or at least I hope he meant was no more code 26 request offs. Contactually your entitled to take optional holidays , vacations and sick days in whatever quanity called for by your supplement. The code 26 is an unpaid day off request. What some drivers do is try to take code 26 days off during the winter when no one is trying to get off and save their optionals for the summer.
tieguy: didnt know i had the option of whether i get paid or not. ive called in before(which is not often) and my sup would ask if i have any option days left. what difference does it make, im not coming in either way! we have 2 onroad sups and a center manager and it seems like at least one of them is off every week, but yet they want to tell us "no more days off."

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
ive called in before(which is not often) and my sup would ask if i have any option days left. what difference does it make, im not coming in either way!

Good point! I always ask for the day(s) I need off before I call in, though. I've only had one problem with a scheduled day off. Unfortunately, I really think the supe was just toying with me. When I called in, it was keyed into the system as "scheduled off." The steward and I had a good laugh. Haven't had a problem since. I asked for and received two days scheduled off--back-to back--in August for a trip I wanted to take. Never so much as a word of guff or runaround--at the time I requested it OR when I came back. Upon my return, I was happily greeted by the supe and asked how my trip was. -Rocky

govols019

You smell that?
It's very rare that I have an issue with getting a day off.

Heck, twice last week they called wanting to know if I wanted to stay home. Maybe they just don't like me?

tieguy

Banned
tieguy: didnt know i had the option of whether i get paid or not. ive called in before(which is not often) and my sup would ask if i have any option days left. what difference does it make, im not coming in either way! we have 2 onroad sups and a center manager and it seems like at least one of them is off every week, but yet they want to tell us "no more days off."

The difference is you don't have them in the summer to use if you burn them up in the winter or spring. Staffing is usually tight in the summer time.

Fishbulb

we dont get days off anymore either, for this year at least. it used to be that if you needed a day off & there was no problem with conflicting vacations or other employees taking off, you got the day. Now if you ask for a day, even months in advance you get "We'll let you know if you can have the day when that day comes up" So now instead of asking for it, we just call out sick. Sucks that is has to be like that but its not because we have an increased workload, its because we have incompetent managers who cant schedule properly & are lucky they even remember their own names.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Volume up 10% then hire 10% more people. Every time they try to push sales leads they say more packages means more drivers. We always get a good laugh out of that one.

mikeb

tnbrown
we dont get days off anymore either, for this year at least. it used to be that if you needed a day off & there was no problem with conflicting vacations or other employees taking off, you got the day. Now if you ask for a day, even months in advance you get "We'll let you know if you can have the day when that day comes up" So now instead of asking for it, we just call out sick. Sucks that is has to be like that but its not because we have an increased workload, its because we have incompetent managers who cant schedule properly & are lucky they even remember their own names.
same thing happens here Fishbulb

tritese

tritese
if i need a day off it is safer just to call in and i have 2 days and 4 hours left........always a hassle to get time off even when i was part time........