No Help from the union.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Ok so being 20 is an excuse for being dumb? I wish I could walk off some of the stuff I did when I was 20 as oh well I was 20....

Ehh annoying things tend to get slapped around misquitoes, itches, you...too bad you slapped yourself around by screwing yourself out of your grievances.

lol @ drewed who is only 21 years old? talking as though he was 20 years old decades ago ;)

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Ok so being 20 is an excuse for being dumb? I wish I could walk off some of the stuff I did when I was 20 as oh well I was 20....

Ehh annoying things tend to get slapped around misquitoes, itches, you...too bad you slapped yourself around by screwing yourself out of your grievances.

LOL when I read this post I assumed that you were an older seasond driver by the way you refer to being 20 like it was a long time ago. I was a little bit annoyed with your response. Then I looked you up on face book and saw that you are just a lil blond puppy with much to learn about life . You sure have a big mouth for being such a little boy.
I love the internet !

Channahon

You are not reading this correctly I didnt meen 20 years old I meant when I started work at ups the contract stated we could get our pension after 20 years of service

Maybe I'm missing something, didn't you have 17 years of service, both part and full time?

As far as taking the UPS settlement, unless someone was forcing your hand to sign the paperwork, you made the decision to take the money from UPS and call it a day. You even stated the amount was higher than you expected for your type of injury.

So to be looking to the Union to represent you and get 5 months of backpay to supplement your settlement, well it seems to me, like you are having second thoughts on your decision to take the money and leave the country and go back home.

You are no longer a UPS employee or a Teamster member, so life starts anew for you and your family.

Best wishes to you and your family in transitioning to life across the pond.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I don't get the whole point of this thread. I understand UK guys story. I understand he took the settlement. I understand he no can longer grieve anything, as he's no longer in the union. I understand he's moving away to never never land, with Wendy and the kids. So what's the point? Do you just want to bicker, for old times sake?

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I don't get the whole point of this thread. I understand UK guys story. I understand he took the settlement. I understand he no can longer grieve anything, as he's no longer in the union. I understand he's moving away to never never land, with Wendy and the kids. So what's the point? Do you just want to bicker, for old times sake?

just thought i`d have a good bitch session before i left everything is signed said and done already . I like to see other peoples perspectives on the situation and I did get some usefull info in a PM how to get my pension money so this has been a succesfull post for me .

paidslave

I wasnt expecting any, I contacted the teamsters Dec 22nd immediatly after being contacted by my attorny and explained UPS was asking for my resignation in exchange for a large injury pay off which would be heard on Dec 24th.. I asked them if it would affect my greivence or any rights I may have. I was told that they werent sure and would get back to me.
I was unjustly terminated in August for dis honesty I had a really good chance of winning the panel decision because although I had a bad day , I was not dishonest and have written letters from each customer shown on the discrepency report confirming they received and signed for there packages before the 10 30 commit time, my cel phone bill showing that I tried to call in sick that morning. The only other discrepancy was that I sheeted up a buisness as closed at 10 20am from 2 miles away (GPS shows) and then re delivered to them at 12pm. However my cel phone bill shows a call I made at 10 15 to the dock, where I asked if they had room at the dock for me and was told to please come later as they were busy. I also Have a written statement from the dock manager confirming this. All in all a pretty good case ,
Although I unwillingly resigned December 24th, I still felt like UPS should give me back pay from the day I was fired until the day I resigned, 5 months is quite a bit of money. The union was shut all over xmas and new year but I finally reached them around Janruary 8th and explained the situation. Janruary 10th I received a letter saying my greivence had been canceled and that they could no longer represent me because I volintarily resigned !!!!! Its funny how they can no longer represent me yet have no problem hanging on to my pension moneys for another 20 years. I`ll be living in another country and have to deal with a pension plan 6000 miles across the pond. I though this was a double standard any other thoughts ????

Hi UK, the biggest mistake you made was resigning and not letting the grievance work. You in essence quit! You didn't have to go back to work because they didn't let you, so why in your right mind resign? I don't get it? I have to believe that you really didn't want to work there anymore and therefore the UNION really can't do anything. Your best bet would have been letting it go to arbitration and getting full back pay. If you didn't get full back pay then resign. I have to believe that you wanted to quit and this is your way out of a very difficult life at UPS. Maybe I am wrong. Alot of people are judging you very harshly and throwing stones and please don't take this post in such way. I would have to suggest that UPS did error again in even asking you to voluntarily quit.

This is against the law to give you an ultimatum in regards to a workers comp. claim. This is an illegal bribe that has nothing to do with why you got fired in the first place so to tie these to together as one is unfair and frankly I believe ILLEGAL. If what you say is true than you do have a major law suit that I believe you can win! You can't strong arm someone into quiting if they settle a lawsuit with you that isn't a buyout for termination and especiallly an injury suit. These are separate issues..

Good luck and hire an new lawyer with your money or just run and enjoy your life!!

take care.....

705red

Browncafe Steward
I wasnt expecting any, I contacted the teamsters Dec 22nd immediatly after being contacted by my attorny and explained UPS was asking for my resignation in exchange for a large injury pay off which would be heard on Dec 24th.. I asked them if it would affect my greivence or any rights I may have. I was told that they werent sure and would get back to me.
I was unjustly terminated in August for dis honesty I had a really good chance of winning the panel decision because although I had a bad day , I was not dishonest and have written letters from each customer shown on the discrepency report confirming they received and signed for there packages before the 10 30 commit time, my cel phone bill showing that I tried to call in sick that morning. The only other discrepancy was that I sheeted up a buisness as closed at 10 20am from 2 miles away (GPS shows) and then re delivered to them at 12pm. However my cel phone bill shows a call I made at 10 15 to the dock, where I asked if they had room at the dock for me and was told to please come later as they were busy. I also Have a written statement from the dock manager confirming this. All in all a pretty good case ,
Although I unwillingly resigned December 24th, I still felt like UPS should give me back pay from the day I was fired until the day I resigned, 5 months is quite a bit of money. The union was shut all over xmas and new year but I finally reached them around Janruary 8th and explained the situation. Janruary 10th I received a letter saying my greivence had been canceled and that they could no longer represent me because I volintarily resigned !!!!! Its funny how they can no longer represent me yet have no problem hanging on to my pension moneys for another 20 years. I`ll be living in another country and have to deal with a pension plan 6000 miles across the pond. I though this was a double standard any other thoughts ????
The problem here is you had two separate issues in the works. One controlled by the union with your grievance for termination. The second being a workers compensation claim that was being handled by you and your attorney. You crossed the two issues together.

While you were involved in both issues, your attorney was only involved in the comp case and sounds like he was only concerned in his cut of your settlement and did not care about your future after!

The union was only involved in your termination with you and ups and has nothing to do with your comp case.

You were aware of both issues and decided to take the settlement, knowing the definition of the word "resignation". Now a few weeks after its over your sitting at home stewing over the fact that you screwed yourself!

If you add up $28.55 an hour times 50 hours a week for 5 months it comes out to just under $29,000 in back pay you could have won.

But you took the $50,000 settlement.

I have read every post of your since the beer and taco incident, and have sided with you up to this point. The union backed you at every step that you have needed, including this case obviously because you had a hearing scheduled. You resigned from ups and its the unions fault for not following through with a grievance for someone that is no longer employed?

The fact of the matter is you should have been charged double the union dues for all the effort they spent representing you in the past and even on this current case. While you were off on this termination the union kept fighting for you and the members kept paying dues which payed the salaries of the union to defend you just to have you sell yourself out.

Uk you have only yourself to blame for this!

P

pickup

Hi, it is Mr. "In a nutshell" again. Basically, you could have gone for what was behind door one but you stayed with door 2(the 50 grand). That's the way it stands U-K guy. Go forward and don't look back cause you can't go back.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
The problem here is you had two separate issues in the works. One controlled by the union with your grievance for termination. The second being a workers compensation claim that was being handled by you and your attorney. You crossed the two issues together.

While you were involved in both issues, your attorney was only involved in the comp case and sounds like he was only concerned in his cut of your settlement and did not care about your future after!

The union was only involved in your termination with you and ups and has nothing to do with your comp case.

You were aware of both issues and decided to take the settlement, knowing the definition of the word "resignation". Now a few weeks after its over your sitting at home stewing over the fact that you screwed yourself!

If you add up $28.55 an hour times 50 hours a week for 5 months it comes out to just under $29,000 in back pay you could have won.

But you took the $50,000 settlement.

I have read every post of your since the beer and taco incident, and have sided with you up to this point. The union backed you at every step that you have needed, including this case obviously because you had a hearing scheduled. You resigned from ups and its the unions fault for not following through with a grievance for someone that is no longer employed?

The fact of the matter is you should have been charged double the union dues for all the effort they spent representing you in the past and even on this current case. While you were off on this termination the union kept fighting for you and the members kept paying dues which payed the salaries of the union to defend you just to have you sell yourself out.

Uk you have only yourself to blame for this!

Your right. I signed on the line but look at the circumstances, My wife had just undergone major surgery to have a brain tumor removed and had follow up hospital visits at USC Neorology dept that she really needed to attend, I didnt have a choice should I have made her just wait until after the greivence in March possibly April ? Maybe try and take out the staples and 65 stitches my self ? 3 kids who were good all year and have have had a really tough time . Christmas coming up and no gifts from Santa ... I couldnt do it to them .

Its really easy to sit back and say what I should have done. In my opinion the union should not of let me get fired , They are not supposed to use GPS for disaplinary action ( as per contract) And Ive paid my fair share of union dues in 17 years that more than cover the arbatration.

Like I said its over anyway I quit I`m happy I quit I`m not upset now I cant put on my sexy brown shorts I am not looking for compensation I just wanted to post my expeiriences . I didnt sell myself out, Like I said earlier I dont want work for a company that is so cut throat.
And one last thing, Theres not a chance in hell the union would of got me all my back pay, it just doesnt happen,

hmmmm, after lawyers fees, UK probably ended up with a little over $30k, IF he had gotten all back pay as 705 theorized, <$29k. Pretty close to a push if you ask me. The time is a major factor.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Your right. I signed on the line but look at the circumstances, My wife had just undergone major surgery to have a brain tumor removed and had follow up hospital visits at USC Neorology dept that she really needed to attend, I didnt have a choice should I have made her just wait until after the greivence in March possibly April ? Maybe try and take out the staples and 65 stitches my self ? 3 kids who were good all year and have have had a really tough time . Christmas coming up and no gifts from Santa ... I couldnt do it to them .

You signed on the line! You made the decision to resign under these circumstances. No body is saying it was an easy decision. If you were already off for 5 months i sure hope you had found another job considering you knew the time frame that you would be off. If you were not employed again your fault.

Its really easy to sit back and say what I should have done. In my opinion the union should not of let me get fired , They are not supposed to use GPS for disaplinary action ( as per contract) And Ive paid my fair share of union dues in 17 years that more than cover the arbatration.

The union does not run the company or tell ups what to do, a lot of us wish it were that easy. But the union was still representing you in your termination, which means they did not sell you out! Maybe if you had a set of stones you would see that you won your job back when it went to arbitration. But you did not allow the union the opportunity to represent you in this case. Again your fault not the unions!

Like I said its over anyway I quit I`m happy I quit I`m not upset now I cant put on my sexy brown shorts I am not looking for compensation I just wanted to post my expeiriences . I didnt sell myself out, Like I said earlier I dont want work for a company that is so cut throat.
And one last thing, Theres not a chance in hell the union would of got me all my back pay, it just doesnt happen,

Your right you probably would not have gotten all of your back pay, because the arbitrator would have deducted what you were making from your other job, or penalized you fro being lazy if you did not seek other employment while on termination.

If your not upset why would you start a thread slamming the union when in all actuality they were the only ones on your side! Start a thread about the attorney who sold you out!

beatupbrown

UPS with work comp settlements get you to sign stuff that you would not normally do. The play starve you out game and delaying it to cover all bases, that may have nothing to do with the injury. At the time of the finale settlement hearing you sign papers that have nothing to do with the injury to cover there rear in all angles
Insurance company work hand in hand with UPS on each case to how they want to settle case .They play a car salesman type with low ball high ball with your lawyer.
Depends how much pro doctor statements you have, the more the better then you might get lucky and the get max for your state, but most likely they will get you to settle for less.
If you have a injury that you no longer work any job, UPS gets off so easy on the money side that is a joke.
The current work comp laws need be overhauled to be more worker friendly .All states should have all the same dollar amounts for settlements .The insurance lobbyist with big business pay off untold amounts to congress to keep employers from taking care employees in times of crisis.