No light duty for pregnant workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ssfupser

Im a preloader and today I was told by one of my supervisors that since I am 8 1/2 weeks pregnant and unable to lift over 36 pounds that there was no work for me and that I should go home and apply for disability. Is this a thing? Can ANYONE help me figure out what the heck this means?

35years

Gravy route

Tell your supervisor to read the above link if he doesn't want to pay you $2 million for discrimination. He will be lucky not to be fired.

File a grievance. And call your State department of Labor and file a complaint with the EEOC

Last edited:

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Im a preloader and today I was told by one of my supervisors that since I am 8 1/2 weeks pregnant and unable to lift over 36 pounds that there was no work for me and that I should go home and apply for disability. Is this a thing? Can ANYONE help me figure out what the heck this means?
Go Work in small sort… that’s where the old, weak, disabled & pregnant women work. And people of @Jkloc420 ilk

PT Car Washer

Pregnancy is not a disability. I have worked next to several pregnant woman almost up to the day they delivered. Have nothing but respect for them.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I’m sure a lawyer can help you with your problem.

snarts

If you can't afford to take time off from a minimum wage job due to being pregnant what are you doing being pregnant in the first place?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ive seen women pregnant work til 2 weeks before delivery, drivers. Yes that belly gets in the way, but if you are used to the work, then it was not an issue. I never saw a pregnant woman go on light duty, but my center sucked, and maybe they were eligible, and didnt have the resources to check it out. but I have been out of UPS awhile. When they did go out, they were on short term disability. I would pick up the phone and call my union first, google your state, see what you can find for pregnancy and disability. Or restart your thread, women UPSERS and union officials only, on topic

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Article 16 section 4 of the NMA. Call your union hall.

Last One In

We have a pregnant part timer who cleans the building for 4 hours a day. (This despite the current thinking that COVID isn't transmitted from surfaces). They can make an accommodation for someone. If they don't make one for you, as others have pointed out, get the union involved. There is no reason they can't find some work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.