No more integrad.

oldupsman

In 30 plus years I have have seen a gradual decline in both the quality of person(employee) from both a management and hourly perspective.

I don't mean for this to sound conceited or trying to sound like a smart ass.
In the mid to late 70's there was a recession going on and people graduating from
college were looking for work no matter what it was.

There were alot of guys in my old building who started out with UPS as part time loaders
who were going to college. And when they graduated the pay was worth staying. There were
a lot of guys I drove with who had teaching degrees, me included. And another bunch who
had 2 year associates degrees. And more than one went into management.

In the mid to late 70's there was a recession going on and people graduating from

There were alot of guys in my old building who started out with UPS as part time loaders
who were going to college. And when they graduated the pay was worth staying. There were
a lot of guys I drove with who had teaching degrees, me included. And another bunch who
I contribute it more to the decline in starting PT wages. Earning FT wages, UPS could pick the cream of the crop who would later go on to a FT position. Now we settle for whoever will apply and stay longer then a few days or a few weeks. Same with delivery drivers.

tarbar66

I was in the same time frame as you along with many of the guys I started with in 72. We would work the night hub that was all part time. Many of us were students or Vietnam vets using the GI Bill. Most of us ended up staying on to work full time on the Day hub and then either package or feeders.

The veterans were mostly Marines too.

For the most part everyone retired in our early to mid 50’s. The UPS group of the college graduates retired way before the others.

Johney

I contribute it more to the decline in starting PT wages. Earning FT wages, UPS could pick the cream of the crop who would later go on to a FT position. Now we settle for whoever will apply and stay longer then a few days or a few weeks. Same with delivery drivers.
Also the fact that years ago it was barely a year at best wait to go friend/T and 24 months for top pay. Now it seems to take forever and no one wants to wait.

oldupsman

Also the fact that years ago it was barely a year at best wait to go friend/T and 24 months for top pay. Now it seems to take forever and no one wants to wait.

Heck, I started fulltime driver off the street and made top rate after 30 days after I made seniority. That wait
for top rate is one of my pet peeves. Just a horrible give away by the IBT.