"No Negro dialect"

bbsam

Staff member
My black friend, when telling me about someone will say black lady or white lady. So I figure "black" is proper. It's what I use and am comfortable with. If it's not PC, then oh well, hell's bells.
What? You only have one black friend? How old are you? I'm not concerned with PC, but if you are over the age of 20 and can start a sentence with "My black friend..." then there is something more troubling than political correctness.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

actually his ears are normal his head however is too small thus making his ears look too big....:)

upstate I'm not sure why you would be offended with the dumbo comment. Big eared people have always gotten the dumbo reference.

It wasn't the Dumbo comment--it was More laughing at what Reid had said that ticked me off.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What? You only have one black friend? How old are you? I'm not concerned with PC, but if you are over the age of 20 and can start a sentence with "My black friend..." then there is something more troubling than political correctness.

I have no black friends at all.

Its not that I'm a bigot, or even politically (in)correct. There just arent any black people living in my area to befriend.

I do have white friends, asian friends, hispanic friends, and even some gay friends. I guess my "rainbow" is just one color short. :happy-very:

moreluck

golden ticket member

What? I should call her my Negro friend. Sorry, very few black folks in San Clemente. Here's the demographics....

The racial makeup of the city was 87.92% White, 0.77% African American, 0.61% Native American, 2.64% Asian, 0.14% Pacific Islander, 5.11% from other races, and 2.81% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15.89% of the population.

So I guess I don't run from city to city looking for black people to be my friends....Puhleeze!!

The one black friend who used to live in Mission Viejo has moved to Goodyear AZ. (UPS retiree) I e-mail her daily and see her maybe once a year.

My neighbor friend is Chinese. My other neighbors are a gay couple......just a shortage of blacks. So shoot me for living in a predominently white neighborhood.

To answer your question...I'm 62. I did have a black friend in grade school and she was the only black person of first thru 8th grade in my Catholic school.

Not everybody has exposure to all the races. My exposure is more to the Hispanic than the black. Like I said, so shoot me, it's not my fault.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I wasn't laughing at what Harry Reid said....I was laughing that he finally said something so outrageous & stupid that maybe he'd get his butt kicked out. I'm too impatient to wait for elections.

I await stupid statements from Pelosi, Boxer & Finestein too........c'mon !!

bbsam

Staff member
So what's so weird about what Reid said. You don't think Chris Rock or Malcolm X or Martin Luther King Jr. ever would have been elected, do you? How about Michael Steele or Walter Williams?

tieguy

Banned
Clearly Reids comments would have been scorched if they came out of a republicans mouth. However it appears that politics not only makes good bed fellows but it turns black politicians into uncle toms.

diesel96

Clearly Reids comments would have been scorched if they came out of a republicans mouth. However it appears that politics not only makes good bed fellows but it turns black politicians into uncle toms.

You mean like the RNC chairman for your party...
The only Black man in America who "seems" to be offended by Reid's comment. A true barometer of offensivness will be judged by the overall black population, rather than a token leader for a GOP party that is 99% white...The overall Black population does not feel Harry Reid's old fashion comments and his history record paints him as a racist.

So, Whaa...Harry said "Negro" in 2008 in an off the record conversation.... Kudos for Reid for saying "Yeah I said it" and owning up to it. Keep enriching the authors for the book "Game Changer" by talking about this. Lets not omit the chapter in the book where Palin was hopelessly uncoachable....

Lue C Fur

Evil member
The overall Black population does not feel Harry Reid's old fashion comments and his history record paints him as a racist.

Really? I did not know there was a poll taken or are you speaking for all blacks.

I thought what he said was offensive. Also Al Sharpton does not speak for all blacks and is a racist so any crap he spews is just that...crap.

diesel96

Really? I did not know there was a poll taken or are you speaking for all blacks.

I thought what he said was offensive. Also Al Sharpton does not speak for all blacks and is a racist so any crap he spews is just that...crap.

Your predictable fixation on Al Sharpton as the MSM's Black outlet is so expected it clouds your ability to do a little research of your own, and make your own conclusions......

Here, I'll get you started :

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/01/reid-i-could-have-used-a-bette.html

island1fox

Again...is this some poll or do you speak for all blacks???

Diesel and lue,
If we are honest with each --it is just politcal games --if Reid was a Republican saying exactly the same --he would be dead ---because he is a Dem --it is o/k . Everyone should get real !!!! It is just more Political B/S:dissapointed:
Remember during the Presidential campaign--the Dems played the game between themselves--Bill Clinton felt Obama was playing the race card on him --and Geraldine Ferraro was branded a racist for her remarks. It is all a game !!!!!

Channahon

First and foremost Harry Reid wrote a book and made this comments? How smart was that? However, growing up in the 60's Negro was an acceptable word and even Oprah refers to the word Negro. Not sure what is politically correct nowadays. Negroes, Blacks, and African Americans were the norm in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Guess I'm a few decades behind. Personally, people are people, regardless of color. We all live and breed the same air.