No new 22.2 jobs created in this contract!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That's the way my BA (who sat on the UPS Master Negotiating Committee) explained it in our local's contract presentation meeting. It's possible that he's wrong.

The 22.4 jobs do count toward the 5000 jobs created under Article 22.

The 2000 runs coming off the rail and will be sleeper team jobs and do not count

towards the 5000 they are required to make under Article 22.

Maybe your BA explained it wrong or it was misinterpreted ?

There is the rub. Who keeps up with where the jobs go?

That's be grieved numerous times before.

The company is supposed to keep track and report to the IBT.

Ups is not required to create any jobs. There is no penalty if they don't

Really....

UPS lost that issue (from the jobs required in the 97 contract) in arbitration in 2001.

We had members awarded a full-time seniority date and job, and backpay checks of $20,000 +.

If I accept a 22.4 Job can I bid for a 22.3 job if it opens up? Also can 22.4 jobs bid For feeder openings after one year?

If the 22.3 job is a newly created job, it goes to the part-timers first.

If it's an existing 22.3 job, it's bid within the classification first and then open to all full-time.

And yes.... you can bid into feeders, in seniority order.

-Bug-

EasyTrucker

That's the way my BA (who sat on the UPS Master Negotiating Committee) explained it in our local's contract presentation meeting. It's possible that he's wrong.

The 22.4 jobs do count toward the 5000 jobs created under Article 22.

The 2000 runs coming off the rail and will be sleeper team jobs and do not count

towards the 5000 they are required to make under Article 22.

Maybe your BA explained it wrong or it was misinterpreted ?

There is the rub. Who keeps up with where the jobs go?

That's be grieved numerous times before.

The company is supposed to keep track and report to the IBT.

Ups is not required to create any jobs. There is no penalty if they don't

Really....

UPS lost that issue (from the jobs required in the 97 contract) in arbitration in 2001.

We had members awarded a full-time seniority date and job, and backpay checks of $20,000 +.

If I accept a 22.4 Job can I bid for a 22.3 job if it opens up? Also can 22.4 jobs bid For feeder openings after one year?

If the 22.3 job is a newly created job, it goes to the part-timers first.

If it's an existing 22.3 job, it's bid within the classification first and then open to all full-time.

And yes.... you can bid into feeders, in seniority order.

-Bug-

The Sleeper Team Jobs created under this contract do count toward the 5,000 new full-time jobs in Article 22. Just like they did in this contract.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The Sleeper Team Jobs created under this contract do count toward the 5,000 new full-time jobs in Article 22. Just like they did in this contract.

Absolute BS.

Read the language in Article 22.3

"This commitment shall include the obligation to create at least five thousand (5000) new full- time jobs from existing part-time jobs during the last four (4) years of this Agreement throughout its operations covered by this Agreement"

Article 22.4

"11. Newly created 22.4 combination driver positions shall count toward the newly created 22.3 jobs required by this Agreement."

Article 26 Section 6

"1. The Company commits that the number of new drivers needed to remove loads from the rail shall be, at least, two thousand (2000), over the life of the current contract."

The two different articles have nothing to do with each other.

Are peoples reading comprehension skills.... really that poor ?

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Not in my Local. FT get first choice on all FT jobs.
Same in my local. All new jobs go to friend/T first, the P/T get to bid on the opening created by The wining bid
How does that happen ?

The 22.3 language.... is plain and simple.

Newly created 22.3 jobs are offered to part-timers first.

That is the whole purpose.
Does not work that way in my Local either.

Full time employees get first crack at them, then if the job goes unbid, the top part-timer wins the bid.

Another sparkling example as to why "autonomy" is great???

~Bbbl~™

Last edited:
In our building also 22.3 jobs are offered to FT 1st.

Were are being told by the local that 22.3 jobs can be turned in 22.4 jobs when the are vacated.

I can see the company pushing for this because a 22.3 will make more than 22.4 when they reach top scale and people will take a 22.3 job over a new combo 22.4 job any day.

542thruNthru

In our building also 22.3 jobs are offered to FT 1st.

Were are being told by the local that 22.3 jobs can be turned in 22.4 jobs when the are vacated.

I can see the company pushing for this because a 22.3 will make more than 22.4 when they reach top scale and people will take a 22.3 job over a new combo 22.4 job any day.

You need to show your local this language in the TA.

Screenshot_20180924-114854.png

It says the number of 22.3 jobs shall not be reduced. Changing them to 22.4 is reducing the number of 22.3 jobs.

EasyTrucker

Absolute BS.

Read the language in Article 22.3

"This commitment shall include the obligation to create at least five thousand (5000) new full- time jobs from existing part-time jobs during the last four (4) years of this Agreement throughout its operations covered by this Agreement"

Article 22.4

"11. Newly created 22.4 combination driver positions shall count toward the newly created 22.3 jobs required by this Agreement."

Article 26 Section 6

"1. The Company commits that the number of new drivers needed to remove loads from the rail shall be, at least, two thousand (2000), over the life of the current contract."

The two different articles have nothing to do with each other.

Are peoples reading comprehension skills.... really that poor ?

-Bug-

Come on BUG, I thought you would know the last contract better if not this Tentative Agreement. Look up Article 26: Competition. Under Section 1, subsection (a), last line of the 3rd paragraph: “All Feeder positions created as a result of returning loads to the ground shall be counted toward the Employer’s obligation to create full-time jobs under Article 22.3 of this Agreement.” Read the real language, not just the underlined stuff!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Come on BUG, I thought you would know the last contract better if not this Tentative Agreement. Look up Article 26: Competition. Under Section 1, subsection (a), last line of the 3rd paragraph: “All Feeder positions created as a result of returning loads to the ground shall be counted toward the Employer’s obligation to create full-time jobs under Article 22.3 of this Agreement.” Read the real language, not just the underlined stuff!

The only part you're missing, is the language you are relying on is specifically talking

about T.O.friend.C. loads.... not the 2000 new sleeper team runs being created.

Your the first person (that i heard) to suggest that.

If the new sleeper team runs were included in the 22.3 jobs.... it would say.

And it doesn't. I've never seen or heard of sleeper teams pulling T.O.friend.C. loads.

But for the sake of argument, I'll make a call for clarification.

-Bug-

EasyTrucker

The only part you're missing, is the language you are relying on is specifically talking

about T.O.friend.C. loads.... not the 2000 new sleeper team runs being created.

Your the first person (that i heard) to suggest that.

If the new sleeper team runs were included in the 22.3 jobs.... it would say.

And it doesn't. I've never seen or heard of sleeper teams pulling T.O.friend.C. loads.

But for the sake of argument, I'll make a call for clarification.

-Bug-

I’ll save ya the quarter brother. Denis T has already said, when asked if the new sleeper runs would count towards the 5,000 new jobs, that indeed they would.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
If that be true it would only create 3000 new 22.4 positions in the last 4 years of this tentative...

Clarification...Please...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I’ll save ya the quarter brother. Denis T has already said, when asked if the new sleeper runs would count towards the 5,000 new jobs, that indeed they would.

I stand corrected.

I've had to admit when I was wrong before.

"The contract has allowed jobs created by taking loads off of the rails to be counted as 22.3 jobs since 2013"

I'm .25 cents richer now.... :-)

That being the case, it opens up another door.

Are there going to be any actual 22.3 jobs created, Or will they all be 22.4 ?

EasyTrucker

If that be true it would only create 3000 new 22.4 positions in the last 4 years of this tentative...

5,000 new Jobs is the minimum, not maximum. If 22.4 jobs are in the new contract, they will most likely create more than 5,000 new jobs over the length of this contract when you add in the new Sleeper Team runs.

EasyTrucker

I stand corrected.

I've had to admit when I was wrong before.

"The contract has allowed jobs created by taking loads off of the rails to be counted as 22.3 jobs since 2013"

I'm .25 cents richer now.... :-)

That being the case, it opens up another door.

Are there going to be any actual 22.3 jobs created, Or will they all be 22.4 ?

Bug, there is no guarantee any new 22.3 jobs will be created. I believe if 22.4’s stay in the contract you will have more than 5,000 new jobs when added to the minimum of 2,000 new Sleeper Team runs. So the company will be under no obligation to create new 22.3 jobs.