No package driving positions?

SFBayUPSer

So while I was online filling out the rest of my application forms, I thought about looking into what driving spots were available, and to my surprise there are NO package delivery driving positions in the entire state of CA. A quick search of numerous other states show's numerous positions open.

Whats up with CA? Are we in a hiring freeze, or just have enough drivers?

I must be missing something.

drewed

Shankman
Could be both, but drivers go by senioirty unless someone elects out ofit, they dont hire outside unless its the 6 position

outamyway

California is full of lay offs, just like us. There will be no Christmas hires this year until all laid off drivers are used first.

Some areas are doing better than others.

rod

Retired 22 years
probably a hiring freeze until they get that "you must be paid for going to the bathroom " law figured out:peaceful:

browndevil

Im sorry, the 6 position?

Also, they only hire package drivers from within? Is this just a california thing?
Just get you foot in the door, which sounds like you are and sign the driver bid list. Its this bad economy right now I haven't seen a new driver come up from the ranks in a year. But I have seen 5 drivers retire. Good Luck to you and BTW we are in the same district

SFBayUPSer

My ultimate goal is to be a driver. I don't mind spending time in the trenches. :) It will build character, any muscles.

Browndevil where are you working out of? I'll be in Richmond. As soon as I get my start date, which is a whole aother thread in itself.

browndevil

My ultimate goal is to be a driver. I don't mind spending time in the trenches. :) It will build character, any muscles.

Browndevil where are you working out of? I'll be in Richmond. As soon as I get my start date, which is a whole aother thread in itself.
I am not in Richmond. I think we refer to it as North Bay. When is your start date? Keep us posted on your progress. Remember we have all had our first day at UPS :happy2:

Fnix

We are getting alot of people coming in for tours, but at the same time alot of Drivers working preload.

SFBayUPSer

Im assuming they either prohibit or frown upon taking the advil/motrin during work?
Im actually looking forward to getting into ALOT better shape.
Im also looking forward to being processed and making this official :)

Believe it or not when I started driving 2.5 years ago I lost 20 pounds, boy it felt good, but as soon as I started feeling confortable driving, I gained a few pounds back, have gone to the doctor for physical check ups and thank god im in good shape, for sure you want to carry your pain relievers, they came handy on those rainy days.

Im in San Diego, and I konw a lot of guy that have gone to take the driving class, and yes, they have been put on hold for god knows how long, this economy is killing us, just hang in there, keep your feet in the water, rewards will come soon.

squirlygirly

Thats good to know, Thanks. Well this weekend can't pass soon enough for me. I'd like Monday to be here.

Give it about a month and Friday won't come soon enough.

You'll be working with a couple of people I know, can't name names though. But the Concord building, from what they say, is a "cake walk".

About the driving thing, plan to be in the building for the LAAWWWNNNG haul. They're just starting to bring back drivers that were laid-off for almost a month, where I'm at, for peak season. Economy is soooo much in the crapper right now, the only + in volume we're seeing right now is companies sending out lay off notices to their employees. BOOOO!!!

Good Luck in Concord. And remember 1 thing, "NO JOB IS WORTH GETTING HURT OVER!!!" Know your limits and at any time you feel the need to take a break whether it be to catch your breath, fresh air, water, ANYTHING, you have that right, NOOB OR NOT!!! GOOD LUCK!! ~:->>>

SFBayUPSer

Well just an update for you guys who are still interested.
I spoke to the HR guy at 9:00 this morning who reported the same computer issue. He told me to call back later today.

I called at noon, and he stated the same computer issue. I asked him is there ANYTHING i can do WHATSOEVER so help with the issue. He said Yes, to go to the social security office and get a form that says I am eligible to work. He then asked do I have a social security card, to which I replied yes. I told him I have my birth certificate, social security card, drivers license, and valid passport I could bring down right now.

I was then put on hold for 15 minutes, and when he came back on the phone he immediately asked me where I lived and then he asked how much I thought I would be making per month, to which I said that I had expected $90 a week, which is what we were told on our tour.

To which he provided me this question. Michael, do you really think its worth to come work here living 15 miles from the hub?

To which I said YES SIR! This job would mean alot to me, and the benefits from working at UPS would quite outweight any negatives.

To which he said, Please call me back later today.

I am like seriously upset right now. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks to the day that I applied. Does anyone know what could be going on? Im thinking about going down there and speaking to him personally?