No scans

PT Car Washer

No, the scan itself doesn't indicate the package was loaded. Walking onto the package car with the scanner will log the package(s) as loaded. There should be up to 4 sensors attached to the shelves that detect when you walk onto the car and all pending packages (for that car only) will be removed from the pending scans. There's a very good chance that the package actually was loaded on your car.
We used to have the sensors attached to the shelves but they kept getting knocked off. Even had some guy every night reattach them. Now UPS does not care anymore and half are laying in a corner all busted up until someone tosses them out. Just another flavor of the month.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
No, the scan itself doesn't indicate the package was loaded. Walking onto the package car with the scanner will log the package(s) as loaded. There should be up to 4 sensors attached to the shelves that detect when you walk onto the car and all pending packages (for that car only) will be removed from the pending scans. There's a very good chance that the package actually was loaded on your car.
This isn't necessarily the case all of the time.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
E412C15A-2B10-462B-97A5-3B54206DBA5A.gif
What I believe is going on is. The company is saying he delivered the package but didn't scan it. Usually a bulk stop.

That happen here for a while.

Don't sign anything and make sure to count the packages at a delivery.

They will usually call the company and confirm if they received the package .

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
You would have a fit seeing how I use these scanners lol.
They are just a formality at this point, the address is what I use to sort packages, the scan is a fun beep tone that I can manipulate with the F4 softkey.
If a package does not fit at the end of the day, chances are it has a scan on it. Does not mean it was loaded on car.
You have to think of it from OUR perspective on the preload: It is far easier and quicker to do the same task repeatedly without any deviation since we must do it 1000 times in under 6 hours. So scanning a package and getting the scan cleared in any way possible (beacon, barcode, F4) will always happen no matter what I do with the package.

I would estimate this to happen in the ballpark of 2-3 times a day.

Last edited:

lolbr

Our hub uses a boxline for preload. The loaders usually scan the packages for one route while sorting them in a cage, then grab the stack they scanned, then carry them into the car to load. Very likely they could scan a package, then not grab it.

Almost never do they scan the packages after they are inside the car (which is how it should be done). Take a stack in car, scan and load one at a time. Get beep while walking out. Repeat for next car.

Also, you don't even need to go into the car. There are barcodes at the very back that can be scanned from the dock (in case the sensors didn't work correctly).

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Youre trained to scan in the cages, not in the truck or walking
Our hub uses a boxline for preload. The loaders usually scan the packages for one route while sorting them in a cage, then grab the stack they scanned, then carry them into the car to load. Very likely they could scan a package, then not grab it.

Almost never do they scan the packages after they are inside the car (which is how it should be done). Take a stack in car, scan and load one at a time. Get beep while walking out. Repeat for next car.

Also, you don't even need to go into the car. There are barcodes at the very back that can be scanned from the dock (in case the sensors didn't work correctly).

Jstpeachy

We are told scan it whether it’s getting loaded into the truck immediately, stacked out, or put under the belt for loading later... plenty of ways it’s scanned but not actually loaded depending on how crazy the stack outs and under belt bulk gets imo

Plus lack of training on the scanners- I’ve scanned packages on the belt, pick it up realize it’s leaking and throw it aside for a sup. If they carry it off I have no idea if there’s a way to clear it before I scan the truck to move on *shrugs*

lolbr

Youre trained to scan in the cages, not in the truck or walking
But that counters "management says it was on the car because it was scanned". No, it wasn't proven to be on the car. It was just scanned at some point by a scanner.

Also, just because you're trained by a supervisor to do something a specific way, doesn't mean that's how it is supposed to be done. What matters to supervisors is usually just what shows up on a daily report to a higher up. They do a lot of things wrong to hide things on those reports.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
But that counters "management says it was on the car because it was scanned". No, it wasn't proven to be on the car. It was just scanned at some point by a scanner.

Also, just because you're trained by a supervisor to do something a specific way, doesn't mean that's how it is supposed to be done. What matters to supervisors is usually just what shows up on a daily report to a higher up. They do a lot of things wrong to hide things on those reports.
The packages should be scanned inside the preload cages. I am not disagreeing with you, just pointing out what the methods are.
After almost 18 years, 13 FT and about 10 years of that preloading and several with scanners I know whats going on. Lol

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
We used to have the sensors attached to the shelves but they kept getting knocked off. Even had some guy every night reattach them. Now UPS does not care anymore and half are laying in a corner all busted up until someone tosses them out. Just another flavor of the month.

i’ve seen beacons last up to 3 years in a car i’d correctly installed

Very likely they could scan a package, then not grab it.

good thing you’re not a sup, your knowledge on methods is awful

prove it wasn’t on the car; the company has more evidence than you do with the scan history

SameRightsForAll

We are told scan it whether it’s getting loaded into the truck immediately, stacked out, or put under the belt for loading later... plenty of ways it’s scanned but not actually loaded depending on how crazy the stack outs and under belt bulk gets imo

Plus lack of training on the scanners- I’ve scanned packages on the belt, pick it up realize it’s leaking and throw it aside for a sup. If they carry it off I have no idea if there’s a way to clear it before I scan the truck to move on *shrugs*

So basically as soon as this system was devised with a purpose, supervisors instructed the loaders to cheat the system and just scan the packages even if stacking out. Therefore, a scanned package does not by any stretch of the imagination prove that it was loaded onto the car, but does upper management know this or even care?

iowa boy

i’ve seen beacons last up to 3 years in a car i’d correctly installed

good thing you’re not a sup, your knowledge on methods is awful

prove it wasn’t on the car; the company has more evidence than you do with the scan history

If management is saying that is was scanned to the car, doesn't management bear the responsibility of proving that it was physically put on the car? And not just making another assumption based upon what a computer says...

Turdferguson

Just a turd

The Company acknowledges that there have been problems with the utilization of technology in the past. Therefore, at the request of the Union’s Joint National Negotiating Committee Co-Chair a meeting will be scheduled with the Company Co-Chair to discuss any alleged misuse of technology for disciplinary purposes and what steps are necessary to remedy any misuse.

Prove it was.

JustDeliverIt

I literally had this happen to me yesterday with a NDA going to a hospital. I delivered the 100 or so packages there, missing one. After obtaining the signature, stop completed and realized it was a NDA. Dug through the truck for a few until 10:31, couldn't find it so moved on.

Around 12 I got a call from office asking where is the air. Told them I went through the entire truck by then, don't have it. Received a diad message 10 minutes later saying I must go through the entire truck again, the air was scanned onto my truck this morning. I must have it, customer needs package asap.

Looked at every single package again, replied that it was still not here. Within 15 minutes, it was found in another location as I got the update.

The system is flawed, plain and simple. The only way to guarentee it is on the truck is to scan it once your on the truck, not at the cage or stacked outside. I understand that it is not the method, but it's the truth. Fact is, management only wants the report to look good with 100% scanned.