No tolerance accident policy in feeders

trickpony1

Tieguy, let me first commend you for your open minded thought process. It's been many years since i've heard someone from management speak with such honesty and integrity, and i've got thirty years to reflect on. however, this is typical UPS. Lets get the whip out, and show'em who's boss. If everyone would slow down to a normal safe pace, and work according to all the methods set forth by UPS, in a safe manner , dot all your I"s, cross all your T"s, etc. etc. etc., then we'd be called into the office and fired for humping the pooch. We'd all be over company standard. That is where this problem is, company standards. They are unrealistic time allotments that we are expected to perfrorm to. You're right, the best defense for any of this is safety. If management asks why you take to long, or why you drive, or walk to slow, your answer...SAFETY!

I agree completely. We've had production drilled into us for so long that we think everything must be done real fast and then, OOPS!, we have an accident.

I look at it this way, which would I rather do?

1) fill out paper work, take the drug test and ponder what I'm gonna do for the next undetermined length of time while they investigate my accident or;
2) slow my happy *** down and maybe be all of 10-15 minutes late with the load?
hmm........tough decision.

I also agree with your comment on Tieguy. He offers a symbiosis (oops! there's the big words again) not common to most management people.

A

Anonymite_Domain

I might also depend on were you work because in my centre a driver who recently started got into an accident that was his fault, but the manager was going off to the driver supervisor about coaxing the head guy to let him drive just for the holidays, you see we seem to have an employee problem, not enough people applying for the prestigious UPS job.

trickpony1

"....not enough people applying for the prestigious UPS job.".

Gosh, I wonder why?

Second wonderment: I thought the famed PAS/EDD system was gonna make it so any monkey could preload and/or drive a pkg car. I guess not.

The failure rate of pkg car trainee's at my location seems to be high for some reason.:confused:1

W

westsideworma

"....not enough people applying for the prestigious UPS job.".

Gosh, I wonder why?

Second wonderment: I thought the famed PAS/EDD system was gonna make it so any monkey could preload and/or drive a pkg car. I guess not.

The failure rate of pkg car trainee's at my location seems to be high for some reason.:confused:1

Since PAS/EDD no one wants to work the preload anymore at my hub, everyone wants to jump to a different shift. Threatened with letters, suspensions for misloads via SPA errors, but still the preloaders fault or even better someone else helping you load the trucks if you're getting slammed...still your fault.

The record for a new hire since PAS/EDD is 20 min, a preloader worked for 20 min, was constantly nagged by a PAS supe (we had just got PAS at the time) flipped off the supe and left. She never came back. The guy was pointing out every thing she was doing wrong, no explanations no encouragement, no "TRAINING" nothing. Just negative reinforcement. If thats training its no wonder no one stays. One minute she wasn't following safety standards, after she adjusted he claimed she was working too slow...

UPS where safety is number 1* :thumbup1:

* = so long as it doesn't cut into production

over9five

Staff member
"I thought the famed PAS/EDD system was gonna make it so any monkey could preload and/or drive a pkg car."

Experienced people can't make it work! How do you think a new hires gonna do???

hoser

Industrial Slob
this isn't only a-holeish, this is just really bad HR. now you're punishing your hardest workers and have to spend even more money hiring new (less quailified) ones. what a stupid company

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
We had an employee relations manager come in from Atlanta yesterday to have a sit down with us so we could voice our complaints with what was going on here. Our Management didn't want us knowing about it at first and then when they decided to let flyers be put up they put on there that we could go to the meeting, but we had to do so on our own time. They would not pay us for it. I guess they thought noone would show up. Proved them wrong. Hahaha...

trickpony1

You guys must have some stroke and influence!
At our hub, we've got one particular management person who seems to be out of control and accountable to no one. Upper management has known for some time the antics this person is capable of but does nothing.
How does a feeder department (drivers) go about getting a human relations manager from atlanta to pay a visit and listen to concerns?

This policy explains why one of your drivers was freaking out when she had trouble up here (cach). That policy is not in effect up here. It`s 3 and maybee even then not out. But we are familiar with the unexpierienced mgmt coming up with bs policies on the fly. We just work as directed and when we fail and upper mgmt asks why,we point to the mgr who cooked up the idea and let them take the hit.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
Well she said Atlanta had gotten so many comlaint letters and calls about what was going on that they sent her up to find out what was up. Get everyone to start calling Atlanta if there's a problem.

Surprisingly enough, Our Management has called for a mandatory meeting for all Feeder supervisors in the morning. I wonder what that may be about. :)

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Lets face it, this company is in a downward spiral. Lets see who hits first, fedex with going bankrupt with debt and new union drivers. Or will it be UPS with the pathetic micromanaging supervisors and broken down driver group. Anybody want to put your bets in. I think its time for a change in atlanta.

tieguy

Banned
Lets face it, this company is in a downward spiral. Lets see who hits first, fedex with going bankrupt with debt and new union drivers. Or will it be UPS with the pathetic micromanaging supervisors and broken down driver group. Anybody want to put your bets in. I think its time for a change in atlanta.

OUch! DUMPER !!

hoser

Industrial Slob
Yes, FedEx going bankrupt because one of their stations in one of their divisions voted in favor of the union and is now attempting a contract :rolleyes: and UPS because of their obsession over efficency. I'll gladly take your bets, but I feel bad taking money from reactionary people with stupid ideas.

T

tk1234

i was discharged for a rollaway accident after 3 years safe driving in feeders. article 52 states a rollaway is an dischargeable offence. my question is why have many other feeder drives withh rollaways been reinstated some whith 2. you are either going to follow article 52 or not you cant pick and choose who returns unless it is discriemination by the way i am white im talking about discremination in general. does anyone one have advice i have a pregnant wife a 3 year old no insurance and no income

Work with the union. Also it depends on how bad the accident was. Did it just tap another vehicle or did you wipe out a school bus full of kids? Details matter.

tieguy

Banned
i was discharged for a rollaway accident after 3 years safe driving in feeders. article 52 states a rollaway is an dischargeable offence. my question is why have many other feeder drives withh rollaways been reinstated some whith 2. you are either going to follow article 52 or not you cant pick and choose who returns unless it is discriemination by the way i am white im talking about discremination in general. does anyone one have advice i have a pregnant wife a 3 year old no insurance and no income

Quickly get another job. CDL's are in high demand.

Ms Spoken

More details are important with your roll away but, if there are other drivers with the same offense I would have all of this documented. Names, dates, all the information all kept in a little black book for this reason. If your going to fire me then I will FIGHT right back for the same treatment as the other drivers. If that doesn't work for you then I would take my book and find a good Lawyer for discrimination. JMO

feeder

Central Pa Member
OOOhhh, I remember myself years ago, Very New to feeders, I just got done pre-tripping and I was in tractor filling out the DVIR REPORT and at the same time released the tractor air brakes and drifted back and hit the tractor behind me while the other guy was in it doing a pretrip too.. We both went in to get the feeder manager, he comes out, inspect both tractors,(NO VISIBLE DAMAGE AT ALL)and told us that this event never happened.... I'm so lucky..............

HazMatMan

Well. if your going to get fired for an accident, then make sure you get out alive, but make sure the feeder explodes and all the packages burn....lol, just a joke, please don't attack me on this....