No Word Yet on 2009 UPS NASCAR Plans

Cementups

Box Monkey
If that comes to fruition, I would say that is a good move. Ragan is a future star and should only get better. Competing for the last Chase spot in only his 2nd fullyear is pretty impressive in itself.

upsdude

If that comes to fruition, I would say that is a good move. Ragan is a future star and should only get better. Competing for the last Chase spot in only his 2nd fullyear is pretty impressive in itself.

Ragan is a good kid and it’s very doubtful he would do anything to embarrass UPS or it’s employees.

I’m not a Jack Roush fan and would find it difficult to cheer for one of his cars.

beentheredonethat

I have mixed feelings. I understand, the spending of money on advertising is important, and this is one method of advertising. But... I'd rather spend that 20 million or whatever the dollar amount is, and sponsor the local little leagues, soccer, basketball etc teams with that 20 million. I think a lot of parents (who ship), would be more impressed by UPS sponsoring their kids teams and thousands of them, then in Nascar....

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have mixed feelings. I understand, the spending of money on advertising is important, and this is one method of advertising. But... I'd rather spend that 20 million or whatever the dollar amount is, and sponsor the local little leagues, soccer, basketball etc teams with that 20 million. I think a lot of parents (who ship), would be more impressed by UPS sponsoring their kids teams and thousands of them, then in Nascar....

....but do 11 million people watch Little League, soccer or basketball, etc....... that's how many people tune in on a weekly basis to watch NASCAR. bang for your buck there my friend. and even people who don't know jack about NASCAR still ask you if you want to race the truck. I understand your thoughts but when it's big business, you have to think big picture.

FAVREFAN

Why don't we ask all the 22.3's who are losing their jobs or the full time drivers who are getting cut back or temp. laid off what they think about our Nascar sponsorship? I say pull the plug. Not money well spent.
Honestly hillbillies......do you buy items/products/services that you see going 'round and 'round on your superhero Nascar driver's car? Be honest.....no really....be honest. That's what I thought. Nobody else does either, and if you buy an item/product/service just because it looks cool on a Sprint Cup car.....you're an idiot/maroon. The people who make the shipping decisions at corporations aren't swayed by such b.s. either. They do their research. It's a myth or a falicy that we gain volume by our involvement in this so called "sport". We need more higher profit, international volume. Why not sponser part of an F1 car or A1GP car? Not to gain sales right off but just to get more name recognition throughout the world. Maybe get some people saying, hhmm, who is this UPS? Nascar is domestic only, and don't give me that b.s. that it's international. It's domestic. But whatever, we'll get deeper in, and our volume will continue to suffer. Such a waste.

upsdude

Why don't we ask all the 22.3's who are losing their jobs or the full time drivers who are getting cut back or temp. laid off what they think about our Nascar sponsorship? I say pull the plug. Not money well spent.
Honestly hillbillies......do you buy items/products/services that you see going 'round and 'round on your superhero Nascar driver's car? Be honest.....no really....be honest. That's what I thought. Nobody else does either, and if you buy an item/product/service just because it looks cool on a Sprint Cup car.....you're an idiot/maroon. The people who make the shipping decisions at corporations aren't swayed by such b.s. either. They do their research. It's a myth or a falicy that we gain volume by our involvement in this so called "sport". We need more higher profit, international volume. Why not sponser part of an F1 car or A1GP car? Not to gain sales right off but just to get more name recognition throughout the world. Maybe get some people saying, hhmm, who is this UPS? Nascar is domestic only, and don't give me that b.s. that it's international. It's domestic. But whatever, we'll get deeper in, and our volume will continue to suffer. Such a waste.

friend-1? You’re kidding me right? The bucks UPS spends on Nascar aren’t enough to be considered a drop in the bucket for friend-1. Who watches friend-1 anyway?

Come on now Favre, you’re essentially saying that all advertising is a waste of money. Folks way smarter than us make the advertising budget decisions, if there was no value UPS wouldn’t write the check. Since GM Ford and others are cutting jobs should they stop all advertising until sales increase?

Those “Idiots/Morons” spend millions on Nascar related products whether or not you or I tune in or buy a ticket.

We’ve had this discussion before, you HATE Nascar and that’s fine. I’m not a fan of Nascar but I am a fan of oval track stock car racing. Figure that one out.

BTW, The Jets? LOL.

Cementups

Box Monkey
FavreFan, this is why you don't have a marketing job. It's not about seeing the name go around in circles and being devoted to the name. If your name is out there on a constant basis then people will remember your name and therefore utilize your product. If your names not out there then you may as well just close up shop and move on to something else. it's lateotherwise I would expand on the subject

rod

Retired 22 years
FavreFan, this is why you don't have a marketing job. It's not about seeing the name go around in circles and being devoted to the name. If your name is out there on a constant basis then people will remember your name and therefore utilize your product. If your names not out there then you may as well just close up shop and move on to something else. it's lateotherwise I would expand on the subject

Wouldn't it make sense then to wash the trucks so the public could actually tell it was a UPS truck and not just Sanford & Son cruising the neighborhood.:happy-very:

FAVREFAN

O.k. I guess I am wrong here. I stand corrected. But may I offer up a challenge? I would challenge anyone here to post official statistics from any reputable advertising firm that shows gained volume and or marketshare from our involvement in Nascar. And it needs to be current. Not from when we first entered.
And by the way, the entire world watches/attends F1. Countries fight over the right to just get a race. It's a social event for the up and up.(money to spend) It's INTERNATIONAL. Everyone in the US knows UPS and what we do. We need to spend "marketing" dollars more internationally and become less dependent on domestic ground.
Our tv ads are great for here. They show our service levels and keep UPS in the public eye.

FAVREFAN

....but do 11 million people watch Little League, soccer or basketball, etc....... that's how many people tune in on a weekly basis to watch NASCAR. bang for your buck there my friend. and even people who don't know jack about NASCAR still ask you if you want to race the truck. I understand your thoughts but when it's big business, you have to think big picture.
As of '07...... That number was down to 9.3 million per week.

upsdude

O.k. I guess I am wrong here. I stand corrected. But may I offer up a challenge? I would challenge anyone here to post official statistics from any reputable advertising firm that shows gained volume and or marketshare from our involvement in Nascar. And it needs to be current. Not from when we first entered.
And by the way, the entire world watches/attends F1. Countries fight over the right to just get a race. It's a social event for the up and up.(money to spend) It's INTERNATIONAL. Everyone in the US knows UPS and what we do. We need to spend "marketing" dollars more internationally and become less dependent on domestic ground.
Our tv ads are great for here. They show our service levels and keep UPS in the public eye.

Not exactly the answer you're looking for but here's a short list of companies finding value in Nascar sponsorship. Many of these companies also have agreements with teams.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS
2008 NASCAR Season
Aflac (Official Supplemental Insurance)
Bank of America (Official Bank)
Best Western (Official Hotel)
Camping World (Official Outdoor and RV Retail Partner)
Chevrolet (Impala) (Official Pace Car, Official Passenger Car)
Cintas (Official Employee Uniform Supplier)
Coca-Cola (Official Non-Alcoholic Beverage)
Coors Light (Official Beer)
Craftsman Tools (Official Tools)
Daytona USA (Official Attraction)
Diageo (Official Partner)
DIRECTV (Official Partner)
Dodge (Official Passenger Car)
Domino's Pizza (Official Pizza)
DuPont Performance (Official Finish & NASCAR Prefers Tyvek)
Duracell (Official Alkaline Battery)
Eastman Kodak (Official Imaging Partner)
Enterprise Rent-A-Car (Offical Rent-A-Car Company)
Featherlite (Official Luxury Coach & Trailer)
Ford Trucks (Official Truck)
Freightliner Trucks (Official Big Rig, Official Hauler)
Gillette (Official Shaving Product)
Goodyear (Exclusive Tire Supplier)
Gulfstream (NASCAR Prefers Gulfstream)
Ingersoll-Rand Company (Official Partner)
Kellogg's (Official Breakfast Food/Fruit Flavored Snacks)
Mars Snackfood & Petfood US (Official Chocolate, Official Chocolate Bar, Official Chocolate of NASCAR fans, Official Cheese-Filled Snack / Official Pet Food, NASCAR Fan's Best Friend)
Nabisco (Kraft) (Official Cookies and Crackers)
Nationwide (Official Insurance)
NicoDerm (Proud Sponsor)
Office Depot (Official Office Supply/Products Provider)
Old Spice (Official Antiperspirant, Deodorant & Bodywash)
Prislosec OTC (Official Frequent Heartburn Remedy)
Safety-Kleen (Proud Sponsor of NASCAR)
Sirius Satellite Radio (Official Satellite Radio Partner)
Sony (Official Consumer Electronics)
Sprint (Official Series Sponsor)
Sunoco (Official Fuel)
The Home Depot (Official Home Improvement Warehouse)
Tissot (Official Timekeeper and Official Watch)
Toyota (Official Passenger Car)
Tylenol (Official Partner)
UPS (Official Delivery Service)
USG (Official Partner)
Visa (Official Card)
Yardman (MTD Products) (Official Lawn & Garden Equipment)

AUTOMOTIVE AFTERMARKET COMPANIES
3M Automotive Aftermarket Division
Aero Exhaust
Affinia Group: Raybestos
Affinia Group: Wix
BWD Automotive
Canadian Tire Incorporated
Carrillo Industries, Inc.
COMP Cams
CSK Proshop
Dow Automotive
Mahle/Clevite Engine Parts
Denso
Dow Automotive
Edelbrock
Exide Technologies
ExxonMobil Lubricants
Federal Mogul Corporation
Goodyear Gemini
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
Goodyear Gatorback
Holley
Autolite (A Honeywell Car Care Product)
JE Pistons
Lincoln Electric
Mechanix Wear
Midtronics, Inc.
Safelite Auto Glass
Safety-Kleen Systems, Inc.
Schumacher Electric
Sellars Wipers & Sorbents
Sunoco Ultra Service Center
Total Resources International
UL Enterprises
Universal Technical Institute, Inc.
Victory Wheels
Whelen

ENTITLEMENT SPONSOR
Sprint (Official Series Sponsor, Sprint Cup Series)
Nationwide (Official Series Sponsor, Nationwide Series)
Craftsman (Official Series Sponsor, Craftsman Truck Series)
Camping World (Official Series Sponsor, Camping World Series)
Whelen (Official Series Sponsor, Whelen Modified Tour, Whelen Southern Modified Tour and Whelen All-American Series)
Canadian Tire (Official Series Sponsor, Canadian Tires Series)

I see a trend. LOL.

BTW, In light of other threads on BC, thanks for not taking my previous response as an attack on you!:peaceful:

FAVREFAN

Who watches F1?.........

Formula One can be seen live or tape delayed in almost every country and territory around the world and attracts one of the largest global television audiences. The 2006 Brazilian Grand Prix attracted an average live global TV audience of eighty-three million viewers, with a total of 154 million viewers tuning in to watch at least some part of the event.[60] Official figures from FOM for 2006 that state Formula One television broadcasts were witnessed by 580 million unique viewers during the 2005 season[61] and average viewing figures for 1995–1999 were 50 billion.[62] It is a massive television event; the cumulative television audience was calculated to be 54 billion for 2001 season, broadcast to two hundred countries.[63]
In 2005 the Canadian Grand Prix in Montréal was the most watched of the races, and the third most watched sporting event in the world.[64]
Should I continue?

FAVREFAN

Not exactly the answer you're looking for but here's a short list of companies finding value in Nascar sponsorship. Many of these companies also have agreements with teams.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS
2008 NASCAR Season
Aflac (Official Supplemental Insurance)
Bank of America (Official Bank)
Best Western (Official Hotel)
Camping World (Official Outdoor and RV Retail Partner)
Chevrolet (Impala) (Official Pace Car, Official Passenger Car)
Cintas (Official Employee Uniform Supplier)
Coca-Cola (Official Non-Alcoholic Beverage)
Coors Light (Official Beer)
Craftsman Tools (Official Tools)
Daytona USA (Official Attraction)
Diageo (Official Partner)
DIRECTV (Official Partner)
Dodge (Official Passenger Car)
Domino's Pizza (Official Pizza)
DuPont Performance (Official Finish & NASCAR Prefers Tyvek)
Duracell (Official Alkaline Battery)
Eastman Kodak (Official Imaging Partner)
Enterprise Rent-A-Car (Offical Rent-A-Car Company)
Featherlite (Official Luxury Coach & Trailer)
Ford Trucks (Official Truck)
Freightliner Trucks (Official Big Rig, Official Hauler)
Gillette (Official Shaving Product)
Goodyear (Exclusive Tire Supplier)
Gulfstream (NASCAR Prefers Gulfstream)
Ingersoll-Rand Company (Official Partner)
Kellogg's (Official Breakfast Food/Fruit Flavored Snacks)
Mars Snackfood & Petfood US (Official Chocolate, Official Chocolate Bar, Official Chocolate of NASCAR fans, Official Cheese-Filled Snack / Official Pet Food, NASCAR Fan's Best Friend)
Nabisco (Kraft) (Official Cookies and Crackers)
Nationwide (Official Insurance)
NicoDerm (Proud Sponsor)
Office Depot (Official Office Supply/Products Provider)
Old Spice (Official Antiperspirant, Deodorant & Bodywash)
Prislosec OTC (Official Frequent Heartburn Remedy)
Safety-Kleen (Proud Sponsor of NASCAR)
Sirius Satellite Radio (Official Satellite Radio Partner)
Sony (Official Consumer Electronics)
Sprint (Official Series Sponsor)
Sunoco (Official Fuel)
The Home Depot (Official Home Improvement Warehouse)
Tissot (Official Timekeeper and Official Watch)
Toyota (Official Passenger Car)
Tylenol (Official Partner)
UPS (Official Delivery Service)
USG (Official Partner)
Visa (Official Card)
Yardman (MTD Products) (Official Lawn & Garden Equipment)

AUTOMOTIVE AFTERMARKET COMPANIES
3M Automotive Aftermarket Division
Aero Exhaust
Affinia Group: Raybestos
Affinia Group: Wix
BWD Automotive
Canadian Tire Incorporated
Carrillo Industries, Inc.
COMP Cams
CSK Proshop
Dow Automotive
Mahle/Clevite Engine Parts
Denso
Dow Automotive
Edelbrock
Exide Technologies
ExxonMobil Lubricants
Federal Mogul Corporation
Goodyear Gemini
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
Goodyear Gatorback
Holley
Autolite (A Honeywell Car Care Product)
JE Pistons
Lincoln Electric
Mechanix Wear
Midtronics, Inc.
Safelite Auto Glass
Safety-Kleen Systems, Inc.
Schumacher Electric
Sellars Wipers & Sorbents
Sunoco Ultra Service Center
Total Resources International
UL Enterprises
Universal Technical Institute, Inc.
Victory Wheels
Whelen

ENTITLEMENT SPONSOR
Sprint (Official Series Sponsor, Sprint Cup Series)
Nationwide (Official Series Sponsor, Nationwide Series)
Craftsman (Official Series Sponsor, Craftsman Truck Series)
Camping World (Official Series Sponsor, Camping World Series)
Whelen (Official Series Sponsor, Whelen Modified Tour, Whelen Southern Modified Tour and Whelen All-American Series)
Canadian Tire (Official Series Sponsor, Canadian Tires Series)

I see a trend. LOL.

BTW, In light of other threads on BC, thanks for not taking my previous response as an attack on you!:peaceful:
Well, nothing new there UPSDUDE. But how does that gain us realized volume. Those companies ship with whoever they want to.

Cementups

Box Monkey
As of '07...... That number was down to 9.3 million per week.

the 11 Million figure actually came from Yates Racing earler in the year. They were having trouble getting sponsors and after a bit of research (that they have better access than I do) they found that weekly audience viewing was 11 million viewers. In order to attract sponsors, they put the number "11 MILLION" on the car to inform potential sponsors of their potential viewing audience. the audience is up this year from 2007 as well due to rising gas prices.

JustTired

free at last.......
OFFICIAL SPONSORS

I often wonder what makes these companies "official sponsors".

And how can Dodge and Toyota both be the "official passenger car"? Seems if I were one or the other, I would be a little irrate. I guess it all comes down to the money. Sorta like the United Way. You can be a "Gold contributor" (or whatever they call it) or you can be a lowly old contributor. Does the word "official" make Coke taste any better than Pepsi? Heaven forbid that you buy anything that's not "official". And you call yourself a "fan".

While I'm sure some people fall for that garbage, I would give the majority of people the credit to buy what they like regardless of whether it's "official" or not.

Oh well....if it makes those companies feel better.......more power to them.

Who watches F1?.........

Formula One can be seen live or tape delayed in almost every country and territory around the world and attracts one of the largest global television audiences. The 2006 Brazilian Grand Prix attracted an average live global TV audience of eighty-three million viewers, with a total of 154 million viewers tuning in to watch at least some part of the event.[60] Official figures from FOM for 2006 that state Formula One television broadcasts were witnessed by 580 million unique viewers during the 2005 season[61] and average viewing figures for 1995–1999 were 50 billion.[62] It is a massive television event; the cumulative television audience was calculated to be 54 billion for 2001 season, broadcast to two hundred countries.[63]
In 2005 the Canadian Grand Prix in Montréal was the most watched of the races, and the third most watched sporting event in the world.[64]
Should I continue?

Hate to break it to you but reading your post is more exciting than watching an friend-1 race. Know why most are shown on tv early in the morning? So you can easily fall asleep after an all nighter.:happy2: