Non CDL Bulk Van route

Docparcel79

I'm a cover driver who was put on a route in a non CDL 24 footer. Am I taking a risk on my license if I was ever to be over weight? (Please no fat jokes!)

Sent using BrownCafe App

barnyard

KTM rider
Some call ours, "Big Eddy" others, 'the cattle car.'

I don't know that I have ever heard of a cattle car being weighed....

Docparcel79

I haven't come up with a nickname for it..Gotta think of one now. Just fear of the DOT stopping me bc the pickups can be really heavy in weight. Big Eddy? What's the meaning behind that name?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Wow amazing how everyone calls it something different. Hog or bulk van here.

Had a new manager call misloads wrong cars. Everyone looked at him like WTF are u talking about.

Docparcel79

What comes to mind is a toilet on wheels. The Dumper! Bc when you get to your first stop and open that door it just looks like a pile of :censored2:. .

Sent using BrownCafe App

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I haven't come up with a nickname for it..Gotta think of one now. Just fear of the DOT stopping me bc the pickups can be really heavy in weight. Big Eddy? What's the meaning behind that name?

I've driven one MANY times over the years, which would be FULLY loaded door to door with heavier and bulkier packages than you would ever want to deal with and I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over by the DOT

Docparcel79

We've had two drivers here in the Northeast get pulled over outside the building(DOT cop would give his own mother a ticket) for the hell of it and found very small infractions about the truck.

Sent using BrownCafe App

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When I first started driving, they were called "city vans" and you needed a CDL to drive them. My first route was in one, it was a Ford tilt-cab and it had air brakes. One of the ones I drove was a feeder dept. reject, it had double fuel tanks and the old tachograph thing on the dash. We just call them "vans" now, they are Internationals and a regular driver's license is alright.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
I'm a cover driver who was put on a route in a non CDL 24 footer. Am I taking a risk on my license if I was ever to be over weight? (Please no fat jokes!)

Sent using BrownCafe App

You would probably have a better chance of being over weight in a small car, P-20 -P50. Either way the citation would be to UPS, and they are responsible for paying it. Ask some of the Feeder drivers, they get nailed at the scales all the time.

IlllIIllIIlllIllIIIlIlIlI

It's very possible to go overweight if you make pickups at some times of shippers. Printers are the easiest to go overweight at. If you ever get over 26000 lbs without a cdl, you would be cited as well as UPS. I know I've gone over 26000 with the straight body. I don't know how they could enforce weight if you never travel past a weigh station.